• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jujitsu moves foil teenager's attackers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cpl Thompson said:
Even if youve practiced a million times in the Dojo, when you get into a fight outside on the street and there is a REAL fear for your own life, its a little more difficult to focus the same way... sometimes all you can do is just punch as fast as you can and hope to make contact with something vulnerable...

Exactly my point. How could she have the accuracy to initially hit him in the groin, which has been proven to be extremely hard in a stressful situation? Maybe just luck, the other guy's stupidity.. I don't know. The point I was trying to make, is if she was "fully trained in jujitsu", and had the accuracy to strike him in the groin, you'd think she would be able to hit a more effective position than the shoulder. But that's just me playing the armchair quarterback.

She had a task and executed it with success. I applaud that, and laugh at the losers who got their asses handed to them by a girl.

If you dislocate a persons shouldar You are doing two things, defending yourself, and injuring them enough to hinder their ability to hurt you, Without using such force that they could Hit you with an assult charge.
And the reasons for the Kick to the groin? simple... the leg is a very fast moving object  especially when your trained in an art that uses alot of leg movements and alot of people dont expect it, and the groin is probably the least guarded area since most people would expect someone to fight back with punches to the face.

But that's just me playing the armchair quarterback.

And there in lies the problem.
Have you ever been jumped by two people who posed a seriously big threat to you?

Imagine a 15 year old girl vs two 18 year old dudes or whatever. Probably her first "real" experience of defending herself outside of the dojo where she can't say okay stop try that again.  Maybe compared to you thats like you fighting a couple of 25 or 30 year old boxers.

Doing shit in a dojo is one thing, doing it for real is another. One of the first things that you loose in a real situation is your fine motor skills (as previously discussed in threads here about martial arts). Your talking about how technical she is and where she should hit? Ya you've never been in a fight.

I applaud that, and laugh at the losers who got their asses handed to them by a girl

I'm willing $20 this girl would put you on your ass just as well ;)

Too right! Also, does it matter how she got it done? Sure, she didn't bow beforehand and maybe her punch lacked the perfect "form" but she's here and they're hurting - I fail to see a problem with that.

Interesting that no one here has touched on this: The cops do not want you to fight with people like this. You are to just give your attacker what they want so that they leave you alone and move on. This girl obviously felt she could not do that or just plain felt like kicking some arse, either way, she got lucky and they got bruised.

Ghost778 said:
Imagine a 15 year old girl vs two 18 year old dudes or whatever. Probably her first "real" experience of defending herself outside of the dojo where she can't say okay stop try that again.
Yes, you're right. I can't really say what would happen.. I've never really been in that type of situation recently, but I know exactly what happens to people in those circumstances.. I was pointing out that she had the accuracy to hit the guy in the groin but could not hit him in the head afterwards.. it was an observation, nothing else.

[quote author=Scott]Interesting that no one here has touched on this: The cops do not want you to fight with people like this. You are to just give your attacker what they want so that they leave you alone and move on. This girl obviously felt she could not do that or just plain felt like kicking some arse, either way, she got lucky and they got bruised.[/quote]
Very lucky indeed. She was lucky they weren't determined, or armed, or both...

I think that raises the question of why learn a martial art for self defense if all you're going to do in a situation like this is hand over everything they ask for?

I see that point and have considered it before. But why not do what the cops say you should do? If she had have tried to fight off guys with guns the outcome could have been very different, then where did her flying kicks and chops get her? I am in no way saying she should have done different, just trying to point out that the professionals usually state that you should do otherwise.

I know plenty of people who take martial arts training purely for the workout. Would I tangle with one of them even though it's only to "work out"? Not on your bloody life.

The other point I'd like to make is that none of us can say what we'd do in her situation

Scott said:
I see that point and have considered it before. But why not do what the cops say you should do? If she had have tried to fight off guys with guns the outcome could have been very different, then where did her flying kicks and chops get her? I am in no way saying she should have done different, just trying to point out that the professionals usually state that you should do otherwise.

I know plenty of people who take martial arts training purely for the workout. Would I tangle with one of them even though it's only to "work out"? Not on your bloody life.

The other point I'd like to make is that none of us can say what we'd do in her situation

The 'other' point is a good point.

As for the doing what the cops want, I'd have to disagree. Crime only pays if the majority of victims are compliant. Obviously one must pick his or her battles, but not defending your person and property when feasable is not only cowardly, it's what criminals bank on.

agree with scott on his point. we dont know how we would react until we're in the situation...

at the end of the day, all we're doing is playing armchair quarterback.

I say Kudos to her for standing up for herself and not just laying back and becoming another victim.

technical merit aside, she did exactly what her training told her to do. defend herself and incapacitate the attacker.

she won. they lost. who gives a damn if she hit him in the groin, head, or hand? if it works then thats all that matters.

I dont take a martial art so I can go to a tournement and get points for doing it right. I take it so that if worse comes to worse, and I have to fight my way out of something, I have a chance. If i have two guys comming at me, my plan isnt to play jackie chan, its to run my ass off. If that doesnt work then I do whatever it takes to bring them down. 

quick number game for ya. whats worse. Judged by 12, or carried by 6?

I know which one i'll take anyday.

Regards
          Josh

Pte. Gaisford said:
As for the doing what the cops want, I'd have to disagree. Crime only pays if the majority of victims are compliant. Obviously one must pick his or her battles, but not defending your person and property when feasable is not only cowardly, it's what criminals bank on.
Yes, but what if they had the intent to harm her if she resisted? I'm sure any criminal that isn't a ***** like those two guys wouldn't hesitate to strike the girl, or stab her when she fought back. Is it worth getting stabbed with a knife or dirty needle or even shot just to save your purse? She was very lucky, as the outcome could have easily been worse.

What if they wanted to rape her or kill her?

Is it worth fighting back for the chance of scaring them away or just giving in and letting them decide if they want to let you live or die?

I told my wife the minute anyone fucks with her to fight back with everything she has.  I'd rather her attempt to defend herself and have SOME control than let some asshole decide what will happen.

Ghost778 said:

Is it worth fighting back for the chance of scaring them away or just giving in and letting them decide if they want to let you live or die?

I told my wife the minute anyone fucks with her to fight back with everything she has.  I'd rather her attempt to defend herself and have SOME control than let some ******* decide what will happen.
It's not worth fighting for a purse.. of course it would be necessary to fight if they were going to do worse

Ghost778 said:

I told my wife the minute anyone fucks with her to fight back with everything she has.  I'd rather her attempt to defend herself and have SOME control than let some ******* decide what will happen.

You beat me to it Ghost

A robbery of a female by males usually ends with other, more serious, consequences...Such as rape or worse.

This girl is not a victim. Maybe if there were more like her the streets wouldn't be in the mess that they are.

Slim

It's not worth fighting for a purse

That in itself is true I agree, but how quickly does a purse become something more?
How fast does stealing a purse become assault, rape or murder?

I'm sure a good number of robberies never *mean* to become violent, they just happen.
I'd prefer to see a woman take her chances with kicking a guy in the balls then being at his mercy and him deciding whether or not to turn a robbery or rape into a murder.

Stauds said:
It's not worth fighting for a purse.. of course it would be necessary to fight if they were going to do worse
How can we know where a crimminal's intentions start and end?

While the initial objective was to get the purse, if she was compliant, she very likely could have ended up in ER with a rape kit being run on her.  As it is, the attackers were surprised by a vigorous defense, and were seen off.... benefit of running vs benefit of fighting for it?  There are plenty of easier targets out there for these animated manure spreaders to prey upon.  Both my daughters know that if they're in the crap, fight like hell... :threat:

Kat Stevens said:
While the initial objective was to get the purse, if she was compliant, she very likely could have ended up in ER with a rape kit being run on her.  As it is, the attackers were surprised by a vigorous defense, and were seen off.... benefit of running vs benefit of fighting for it?  There are plenty of easier targets out there for these animated manure spreaders to prey upon.  Both my daughters know that if they're in the crap, fight like hell... :threat:

I am not sure I'd draw the same distinction between fight and flight. Either way, you are not being compliant. Personaly, I think fighting is the better option in alot of cases, but there's a time and place for running like hell too.

poorly worded, I meant benefit to the attacker, not defender

Slim said:
You beat me to it Ghost

A robbery of a female by males usually ends with other, more serious, consequences...Such as rape or worse.

Do you have any stats to support that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back