• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jonathan Sutherland Snyder, 1981-2008, R.I.P.

kwon

Inactive
Reaction score
Canadian soldier dies on patrol in Afghanistan

Updated Sun. Jun. 8 2008 4:40 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A night-time accident has claimed the life of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan. Capt. Jonathan Sutherland Snyder was patrolling a section of Zhari district on foot when he fell into an open well.

Snyder was a member of 1st Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080608/canadian_soldier_080608/20080608?hub=World

RIP :salute:

Without a doubt, one of the finest combat leaders in the Regiment.  Capt Snyder, you did your part and you did it well.  RIP.

Condolences to family, colleagues and friends of the fallen -  :salute:

Canadian Press:  "A Canadian soldier died after falling into a well during a night-time patrol Saturday west of Kandahar.  Capt. Jonathan Sutherland Snyder, of Penticton, B.C., was a member of 1st Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton.  He was on his second tour of Afghanistan and his third overseas deployment.  "Jon was serving as a mentor and role model to members of the Afghan National Army, and his recent leadership in the field likely saved both Canadian and Afghan lives," Brig,-Gen. Denis Thompson, the commander of Canadian troops in Afghanistan, said in a prepared statement at nearby Kandahar Airfield ....  Snyder, who was helping mentor Afghan soldiers, was on foot patrol in a field in Zhari district when he tumbled into an open well that the Afghans call a 'kariz.'  Those kinds of wells dot the countryside. They are often unmarked and connect to a series of underground irrigation ditches used to soothe the parched landscape in river valleys.  Thompson estimates the well Snyder was trapped in may have been as much as 20 metres deep.  The rest of his patrol tried desperately to extract him as they radioed for help.  "Medical, engineering and search and rescue assets were rushed to the scene, and Jon was lifted from the well," said Thompson, who spoke with members of Snyder's platoon on Sunday.  Once out of the well, Snyder was rushed to the NATO military hospital at Kandahar Airfield where he was pronounced dead ...."

CanWest/National Post:  "A Canadian soldier was killed in a freak accident while on night patrol Saturday after he fell into a deep open well in the darkness in an area west of Kandahar City.  Capt. Jonathan Sutherland Snyder, 26, a member of the 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry based in Edmonton, was the second Canadian captain to die on foot patrol in less than a week in the insurgent-ripe territory of Zhari District.  "This tragic accident has deeply impacted us all," said Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, commander of Canada's 2,500 troops in Afghanistan. "The thoughts and prayers of the entire Canadian Task Force are with Captain Snyder's fiancee Meghan, his parents and all those who loved him," he added.  Capt. Jonathon (Jon) Sutherland Snyder was killed Saturday after falling into a well at about 9 p.m. local time while on a night-time security patrol in Zhari District, west of Kandahar City.  At about 9 p.m. local time, Snyder fell the equivalent of a six-storey building after tripping over the edge of what Afghans call a "kariz" or open well. Often abandoned and unmarked, these open wells connect to underground waterways for irrigation of the arid landscape. The kariz that claimed Snyder's life is estimated at 20 metres deep.  "I spoke to his patrol this morning. They related how desperately they worked to extract him from the well as they called for help," said Thompson...."

LINK

Canadian soldier dies on patrol in Afghanistan
Updated Sun. Jun. 8 2008 6:30 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A night-time accident has claimed the life of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan. Capt. Jonathan Sutherland Snyder was patrolling a section of Zhari district on foot when he fell into an open well.

Snyder was a member of 1st Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton.

Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, Canada's commander in Afghanistan, gave his condolences to Snyder's family.

"This tragic accident has deeply impacted us all," he told reporters in Kandahar Air Field. "The thoughts and prayers of the entire Canadian Task Force are with Capt. Snyder's fiancée, his parents, and all those who loved him."

He added that "we will not forget his commitment to his fellow soldiers and to this mission."

Snyder fell into the well, called a "Kariz" by Afghans, at about 9 p.m. local time.

"I spoke to his patrol this morning and they related how desperately they worked to extract him from the well as they radioed for help," Thompson said.

Medical, engineer and search and rescue personnel were rushed to the scene, and he was lifted out of the well. He was evacuated by helicopter to the Multi-National Medical Unit at Kandahar Airfield, and he was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Snyder was on his second tour of Afghanistan and had served as a mentor to members of the Afghan National Army.

"His recent leadership in the field likely saved both Canadian and Afghan lives," said Thompson.

Since the war in Afghanistan started, 85 Canadian military personnel and one diplomat have died.

Damn it! :(

RIP Captian Snyder :salute:

Baker

My condolences to his family. He will be missed.

RIP Sir.  :salute:

Captian Snyder was one of the finest officers I ever had the pleasure of serving with.

RIP Sir.

Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the death of Captain Jonathan (Jon) Sutherland Snyder:  "My husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond and I were saddened to receive news of the tragic death of Captain Jonathan (Jon) Sutherland Snyder, a member of the Operational Mentor and Liaison Team serving with the 1st Battalion of Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry based in Edmonton, Alberta.  The accident occurred while he was on patrol with his comrades in the Zhari District of Afghanistan.  Every day, every hour, our Canadian women and men come up against numerous obstacles in difficult and threatening conditions. This mission, as we know it, involves danger in many forms: the terrain is hazardous, uncertainty is felt by all, the threat of attack is constant and risk is ever-present.  The Canadian Forces family grieves. The parents and friends of Captain Snyder are inconsolable.  May they take comfort in knowing that we share their sadness, as do Canadians from across the country."

STATEMENT BY PRIME MINISTER HARPER ON THE DEATH OF CAPTAIN JONATHAN (JON) SUTHERLAND SNYDER:  "I am deeply saddened by the loss of Captain Jonathan (Jon) Sutherland Snyder, who died in a tragic accident while training members of the Afghan National Army in Afghanistan.  On behalf of all Canadians, I offer sincere condolences to the family and friends of Captain Snyder.  They are in our thoughts and prayers.  He will be remembered as someone who worked shoulder to shoulder with Afghans to help bring security and stability back to their country, a key part of Canada’s focus on training Afghan forces. Captain Snyder's sacrifice will be honoured by Canadians and Afghans alike.  Canadians stand by our brave men and women in uniform who continue to make a significant contribution to the United Nation-mandated mission to secure, rebuild and redevelop Afghanistan."

Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the death of captain Jonathan (jon) Sutherland Snyder:  "To the family and friends of Captain Jonathan (Jon) Sutherland Snyder who died yesterday in Afghanistan, I offer my sincerest condolences. You can be reassured by the thought that an entire country stands behind you in these most trying times.  Captain Snyder died in Afghanistan while on a patrol as part of an Operational Mentor and Liaison Team. These patrols allow Canadian soldiers to work in close cooperation with Afghan security forces.  Captain Snyder’s and his team clearly demonstrate Canada’s commitment to the training of Afghan forces. His sacrifice will inspire those who will follow in his footsteps on the road to a vibrant, safe and democratic Afghanistan."

I did my Militia Second Lieutenant Qual Course in Pet in 1975 with, among others, Dave Snyder from the British Columbia Dragoons who was, if I remember correctly, from Penticton. Jon's age would be about right, and there appears to be a resemblance...

Rest in peace Capt Snyder
your work is done & we will take care of it from hereonin
Condolences to Family, friends and comrades

At the going down of the sun
and in the morn
We will remember them!

CHIMO!

:salute:

RIP, Sir.  My sincere condolences to your Fiancee and Family.  :salute:

Back