• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joint Task Force 2 (JTF 2) - Canadian Special Forces

http://www.cansofcom-comfoscan.forces.gc.ca/cr/ssp-psps-eng.asp

I am a reservist and I've been hearing rumors that since 2011 reservists are not able to apply for the JTF2 selection process. I can't get straight answers from anyone as well as no answer from CANFORGEN. Can anyone here verify this? It says on their sight that any member, regular or reserve, can apply after an X amount of years of experience but the page has not been updated since 2008. I only caught wind of this now overhearing a few cherries.

Just to be clear, I'm not planning to apply any time soon if at all but I always see it as an option, a goal to strive for and challenge myself. I joined the reserves so I could stay close to family because I didn't want to move around to some isolated bases around the country. I've seen how relationships tend to fall apart for regulars.

Thank you,
Scorch

I know Reservists can apply to some CANSOFCOM units.  I would assume JTF2 would take them, best bet is too contact them and confirm.  They may not accept for Assaulter,  but maybe for Support.  Don't believe all the gossip you hear at work especially when it comes to CANSOFCOM,  how many of your unit members are former CANSOF?  For accurate info regarding CANSOFCOM recruiting,  go straight to the source and call/email the unit recruiting cell.

Scorch1911 said:
I am a reservist and I've been hearing rumors that since 2011 reservists are not able to apply for the JTF2 selection process. I can't get straight answers from anyone as well as no answer from CANFORGEN. Can anyone here verify this? It says on their sight that any member, regular or reserve, can apply after an X amount of years of experience but the page has not been updated since 2008. I only caught wind of this now overhearing a few cherries.

Just to be clear, I'm not planning to apply any time soon if at all but I always see it as an option, a goal to strive for and challenge myself. I joined the reserves so I could stay close to family because I didn't want to move around to some isolated bases around the country. I've seen how relationships tend to fall apart for regulars.

Thank you,
Scorch

Cansofcom recruiting session May 2012 at Edmonton Garrison, the JTF2 recruiter stated reservist applications were not being accepted.

Thank you Skeletor for the reply, I've e-mailed their recruiting center a few times and nothing yet I will try to call them to get some answers. Furthermore, you are right it's usually the 17-20 aged buffoons walking around  always discussing these things and I was naive to enter their conversations :p

Scorch

The CANFORGEN out some time last year stated that applications specifically for assaulter, at least, would only be accepted from the regular force. Supporter positions may still be open to reserve applicants. CSOR SF Operator and CJIRU CBRN Op remain open to reserve applicants.

Do they explain as to why some positions are restricted to regular? Is it lack of operational experience or qualifications?

Scorch1911 said:
Thank you Skeletor for the reply, I've e-mailed their recruiting center a few times and nothing yet I will try to call them to get some answers. Furthermore, you are right it's usually the 17-20 aged buffoons walking around  always discussing these things and I was naive to enter their conversations :p

Scorch

AFIK the Recruiting Centre has nothing to do with JTF/CSOR/CJIRU recruiting. Those orgs do their own "internal" competitions. There is usually a message letting folks know when and where. Perhaps the PSO shop might have better visibility on the issue.

Scorch1911 said:
Do they explain as to why some positions are restricted to regular? Is it lack of operational experience or qualifications?

Why spend the money to train a Cl A reservist? Is that Cl A reservist going to show up when paged? Why hire a Cl B reservist when they (presumably) have enough Reg F candidates and don't need to play with that admin ball of wax?

Using CSOR as an example,  when a Reservist becomes a Operator(successfully complete AP and SFC) they are component transferred to the Regular Force.  Class B Reservists fill in the gaps where there aren't Regular Force pers;  they areemployed in Support positions.

As for why JTF2 does not want Reservists applying for Assaulter position,  no clue.  Best bet would be to contact their recruiting cell.

-Skeletor- said:
As for why JTF2 does not want Reservists applying for Assaulter position,  no clue.  Best bet would be to contact their recruiting cell.

I asked that question of the RSM of DHTC last Autumn.  The answer is that their personnel requirements are being met through Reg F attraction at the present time.

Haggis said:
I asked that question of the RSM of DHTC last Autumn.  The answer is that their personnel requirements are being met through Reg F attraction at the present time.

Also, when I contacted their recruiters, when the CANFORGEN came out, the recruiter told me, Assaulters who are from the reserve are on Class C contracts (they don't CT like in CSOR), and at the time they didn't have anymore space allocated to Class C positions.

Scortch, have you considered CSOR? I know you mentioned you're not even sure if you want to apply for the hill to begin with, but why not go for CSOR if you want to work under CANSOF? What I can say for those interested is that after speaking to the CSOR recruiters I found out that reservists are now required to have three years worth of work days as opposed to the old requirement of three years since being sworn in. Hope this helps some of you who have such goals.

Have an awesome  st paddy and don't get too buckled!  :irish jig:

Shinobi said:
Scortch, have you considered CSOR? I know you mentioned you're not even sure if you want to apply for the hill to begin with, but why not go for CSOR if you want to work under CANSOF? What I can say for those interested is that after speaking to the CSOR recruiters I found out that reservists are now required to have three years worth of work days as opposed to the old requirement of three years since being sworn in. Hope this helps some of you who have such goals.

Have an awesome  st paddy and don't get too buckled!  :irish jig:

That's a great suggestion! At the moment JTF2 aren't accepting reservists because they're limited in the numbers that they can recruit according to a friend of mine who is badged there. However the success rate of guys going straight from the reserve to the Hill is fairly low. Going to CSOR first and then after having served your time there will give you the necessary foundation to be able to successfully pass the SOAC. Just passing the 7 day selection is the start the SOAC is a 9 month course and very intense with a steep learning curve.

O said:
Going to CSOR first and then after having served your time there will give you the necessary foundation to be able to successfully pass the SOAC.

This is 100% contrary to what members of CSOR and JTF2 say when they go to bases and have recruiting drives/information sessions.
The JTF2 speaker said it's a very common misconception that being a member of CSOR will give someone a huge advantage to get into JTF2 over other CF members. He also said just as many CSOR applicants fail as regular members do.  "CSOR isn't a stepping stone for JTF2".

Fair enough, I'm only going off what the guys from the info session told us.

ObedientiaZelum said:
This is 100% contrary to what members of CSOR and JTF2 say when they go to bases and have recruiting drives/information sessions.
The JTF2 speaker said it's a very common misconception that being a member of CSOR will give someone a huge advantage to get into JTF2 over other CF members. He also said just as many CSOR applicants fail as regular members do.  "CSOR isn't a stepping stone for JTF2".
[/

quote]
punkd said:
I'd say closer to a 80% success rate..
If I'm not mistaken here I believe that Punkd is saying that the success rate for CSOR applicants to the Hill is 80%?

The reason I said that CSOR was a good place to start is that there are some skill sets that are developed on their operators course that are later covered on the SOAC and that aren't commonly practiced throughout the rest of the army. Specifically the Cqb which as I'm lead to believe from a friend of mine who's serving at the Hill is a phase that causes a lot of failures.

I'm certainly not pretending to be an authority on what is the best course of action to follow to get to the Hill I'm just communicating what's been explained to be from someone who was badged there in the last 5 years.

Back