• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jogging vs. Sprinting

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Fact: Jogging burns fat, Sprinting burns MORE fat.
Fact: Jogging burns fat while you jog, while sprinting will cause your body to continue burning fat for anywhere from 24-36 after your exercise.
Fact: Sprinting will increase your VO2 max much faster and to a greater extent than jogging.
Fact: Jogging will cause your body to burn muscle tissue after anywhere from as little as 25mins of joggins to 1 hour of jogging.
Fact: You can complete a highly intense, exhausting sprinting routine in less than 15 mins, warm up and cool down included.
Fact: It will take around 30 mins for a relatively fit person to run 5km at an easy going pace. (obviously this figure can vary greatly, but you get my point)
Fact: Sprinting is fast, intense, and to the point; jogging is long, mundane and boring.

Question: Why do people jog at all?

Point to add: I used sprinting because it is so similar to jogging (locomotion in a bi-pedal fashion), but I could as easily have substituded swimming or spinning, among others.

Although you make a very good point, personally I like to Jog over Sprinting,  Sprinting can be very hard on certain body parts if your form is bad, also some people may not have the endurance or stamina to sprint for very long. I also find that sprinting works different muscle groups in me then Jogging (perhaps because they are actually being used in sprinting). Perhaps a compromise of both? training that included jogging and sprinting?

You need to do both as they work different neurological and energy pathways.

NCdt Lumber said:
First:  define Jogging and Sprinting before conducting comparisons.  Where does running/middle distance racing/long distance running fit into your spectrum
Fact: Jogging burns fat, Sprinting burns MORE fat.  Source?
Fact: Jogging burns fat while you jog, while sprinting will cause your body to continue burning fat for anywhere from 24-36 after your exercise.  Source?
Fact: Sprinting will increase your VO2 max much faster and to a greater extent than jogging. Need I call for source again?
Fact: Jogging will cause your body to burn muscle tissue after anywhere from as little as 25mins of joggins to 1 hour of jogging. I am just going to say ditto now
Fact: You can complete a highly intense, exhausting sprinting routine in less than 15 mins, warm up and cool down included. So what?
Fact: It will take around 30 mins for a relatively fit person to run 5km at an easy going pace. (obviously this figure can vary greatly, but you get my point)What about a 19 minute 5K?  How does that fit into your scale of intensity?
Fact: Sprinting is fast, intense, and to the point; jogging is long, mundane and boring.  Dare I say opinion?

Question: Why do people jog at all?

Point to add: I used sprinting because it is so similar to jogging (locomotion in a bi-pedal fashion), but I could as easily have substituded swimming or spinning, among others.

We don't jog in the Army, we run.  At least where I'm at right now.

FOr those (he) of you who may have found my words brazzen, here are several sources to back me up:
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/30sec_sprints.htm
http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm/cmi_2228576/cid_3/code_30177
http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Is-HIIT?-Its-Called-High-Intensity-Interval-Training&id=710157
http://www.alun.dk/artikler.asp?ID=369 "No More Go Slow Cardio"  ;D

The first comple of my 'facts' relate to the overall effectiveness of sprinting, indicating that it is a far superior exercise. The final two relate to the lifestyle choice of jogging vs. sprinting. This is more subjective. If you want to be able to maximize your time, sprinting is where it's at. And yes, I may have slipped my opinion in there. But if I want to go run a 10km at an easy pace, I have to put aside over an hour of my time. That an hour of jogging. Slow, easy, repetitive jogging. I suppose if you want to get away from something, clear your mind, then thats fine, but I would rather spend the remaind of that hour+ doing something more productive (weight room anyone?). Jogging just feels like a waste of time compared to sprinting (or spinning, swimming). Opinion, maybe, but theres logic there.

As for the 19 minute 5k, as Infanteer said, thats running, not jogging.

JBoyd said:
Although you make a very good point, personally I like to Jog over Sprinting,  Sprinting can be very hard on certain body parts if your form is bad, also some people may not have the endurance or stamina to sprint for very long. I also find that sprinting works different muscle groups in me then Jogging (perhaps because they are actually being used in sprinting). Perhaps a compromise of both? training that included jogging and sprinting?

Excellent point my friend, I agree totally. I'll step back and say, obviously, that any exercise routine requires that one's physical health and level of fitness be taken into account. Myself, I find that if I run a long distance at a slow pace, my knees, shins, and hips start to feel very sore from the constand up-down pounding. I need a faster pace so I can get a rotation going in my stride that relieves some pressure.

NCdt Lumber said:
Excellent point my friend, I agree totally. I'll step back and say, obviously, that any exercise routine requires that one's physical health and level of fitness be taken into account. Myself, I find that if I run a long distance at a slow pace, my knees, shins, and hips start to feel very sore from the constand up-down pounding. I need a faster pace so I can get a rotation going in my stride that relieves some pressure.

See for me its the opposite, kinda. When I jog/run I generally run out of breath before any muscle soreness or inablilty kicks in. Yet when I sprint I start to feel the pressure within my knee, and I feel it burn in my quad. Perhaps I am just not conditioned for sprinting (yet). However, not matter how you run, jog, or sprint... form is key.

Fact: Brucie is wondering what the point of this thread was supposed to be.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Fact: Brucie is wondering what the point of this thread was supposed to be.

To determine WHY, when one excludes matters of physical health and fitness level, one would choose to try and improved their cardio and overall level of fitness by adhering to a working routing that involves long slow jogs as opposed to shorter, quicker, higher intensity exercises such as sprinting, swimming and spinning.

NCdt Lumber said:
To determine WHY, when one excludes matters of physical health and fitness level, one would choose to try and improved their cardio and overall level of fitness by adhering to a working routing that involves long slow jogs as opposed to shorter, quicker, higher intensity exercises such as sprinting, swimming and spinning.

And why did you chose the Navy as oposed to the Army or Air force ?

Or are you just here crusading ?

You have a point and there are pros and cons of each, but the people who design the military running standards and other PT expectancies know what they're doing.  That being said I'm sure that what we are required to do is beneficial.  I agree that practicality wise, sprinting and fast pace running is more applicable to a real situation.  I assume you don't see a lot of troops "jogging bullets."  I like jogging, I like running, so I'm unbiased.  Maybe some people just like to go for a slow pace jog for an hour cause they like spending that much time doing so.  Me, I have no patience for that sometimes so ya I just run from 7.5km+ until I fall down :p.  So I guess the bottom line is....... good point and your right, but in the end.....

"Different strokes for different folks"

Cheers, Kyle

NCdt Lumber said:
Cheap Beer on Ship.  :salute:

I joined the AF for all that TD money i get, therefore it doesnt matter to me what the price of beer is.  My point is, that fast or slow, its a matter of preference. You come here and ask "why would someone run slow....blah blah blah".....you made your choice, leave others to do what they want without calling them stupid ( which is what you have done for all intensive purposes). Next you will be telling me that theres no way in hell i can possibly be fit because i jog.  Hogwash !!!

I'm not sure I follow?

How about now ?

CDN Aviator said:
Next you will be telling me that theres no way in hell i can possibly be fit because i jog.  Hogwash !!!

Agreed, both jogging and sprinting have similar results.  Some people prefer long jogs, others like short runs, like I said its all preference, no one is more right than the other.  Just keep in mind when the day comes to run for your life, chances are you will want to do it FAST :p

Cheers, Kyle

MedTechStudent said:
  Just keep in mind when the day comes to run for your life, chances are you will want to do it FAST :p

::)

I never said i couldnt run fast........i just said i prefer slower speeds

But thanks.......i wouldnt know anything about running for my life...its not like i havent been overseas before or anything

Lol sorry CDN I wasn't saying that run for your life thing to you, it was just a general statement. :p

Take care, Kyle

NCdt Lumber said:
FOr those (he) of you who may have found my words brazzen, here are several sources to back me up:
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/30sec_sprints.htm

Um, you were talking about the time that jogging takes up, and you believe this article is showing the better way?

Per the article:
Warm up - 10 minutes
Sprints - 8x30 seconds.  4 minutes.
Rest and recovery between each set - 3x8 minutes.  24 minutes.

So, your high speed workout has just burned up 38 minutes, not including stretching. 

It's an interesting idea, and I'm sure it works for many, but I don't think the time difference between jogging and sprinting is valid...

T

Torlyn said:
Um, you were talking about the time that jogging takes up, and you believe this article is showing the better way

It's an interesting idea, and I'm sure it works for many, but I don't think the time difference between jogging and sprinting is valid...

T

Umm I was thinking more along the lines of:

Warm up: 4 mins running at 50% effort
Exercise: 20 seconds sprinting (thats 100% maximum exertion) followed by 10 seconds rest (walking, jogging) repeated for 4 minutes. Thats 8 sprints. ( (20s+10s) * 8 = 240 seconds = 4 mins)
Cool down: 4 mins running at 50% effort

Total Time: 12 minutes, and you are exhausted!

How'd I miss this thread last night...?  ???

Lets talk running....

NCdt Lumber ,
You make a valid point and you are not wrong, just misinterpreting your info. To be a better runner, then you need to work both long slow runs (jogs) with shorter, high intenstity runs (sprints). Every competitive distance running training plan incorporates both, the only difference is the distance and intensity of those sprints. As part of a 7 day training plan, you should have 2 interval days (sprints), a pace day (running at race pace or % of) and a slow day (jogging).

In 10 km (and longer) training, you throw in what is called 800's (basically its a 800 m/2 min sprint, followed by jogging rest, and repeat) as part of your interval/sprint tng. Basically, you can do the same thing with intervals of 200, 400, 600 or if you are a true sadist 1000m, depending on the distance and speed you are training.

NCdt Lumber said:
Umm I was thinking more along the lines of:

Warm up: 4 mins running at 50% effort
Exercise: 20 seconds sprinting (thats 100% maximum exertion) followed by 10 seconds rest (walking, jogging) repeated for 4 minutes. Thats 8 sprints. ( (20s+10s) * 8 = 240 seconds = 4 mins)
Cool down: 4 mins running at 50% effort

Total Time: 12 minutes, and you are exhausted!

The workout you decribe is called Tabata intervals, and you can do them with any exercise. And while I have never tried it running, I can honestly say that workout will kick your ass with whatever activity you do. A suggestion, you can cut the warmup time down by half.

But regardless of what ever type of workout you do, the amount of TIME you spend doing it will be relatively close to the same. 40 mins of running 3-5 tmes a week is not too much to improve your ability.

Back