• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jian Ghomeshi alleges firing due to Fifty Shades of CBC

dapaterson said:
The Star is now up to eight women; one has agreed to be named, a Captain in the CAF.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/10/29/jian_ghomeshi_8_women_accuse_former_cbc_host_of_violence_sexual_abuse_or_harassment.html

Its Lucy from the Trailer Park Boys....

DO NOT read the Facebook post from the Herald linked to that article, the comments will make you want to dropkick your computer.

Scott said:
Sweet chocolate Christ.

The thing that is blowing me away is how many women are lining up to defend him. Vehemently. A few I know, who will not pause to inform someone about the plight of women, are on his side. Irony much? Personally, I don't know what he did or didn't do. I thought his massive missive looked like shit and I knew that more would come out in time. I hope loads of folks can extract their feet from their mouths at the end of this, because it does not look good at all.

And Elizabeth May? "I defended him because I was so tired from the Hill shootings" or something like that. Yeah. Nice one Liz. Back to doltdom. That's just one example of the idiocy surrounding this because people like a fucking radio show.
The "(Alleged) National Treasure Get Out of Jail Free" Card effect, I think.

Scott said:
Sweet chocolate Christ.
It exists...
chocolatejesus.jpg

So, if he likes to choke and hit women, without their consent, until they were almost unconscious.......how many steps is he away from killing? This guy is sounding more like a serial sexual predator on his way to becoming a serial killer than somebody with a BDSM fetish.

jollyjacktar said:
l didn't know BDSM folks had a union.  Meetings must be interesting.

I had a girlfriend with let's say "exotic tastes" and she took me to the "leather appreciation show" put on by a society of similar name in Vancouver. While observe the large cast of characters I got to listen in to a conversation between a dominatrix and a transvestite arguing about the Robert Rules of Order for a meeting and the need to meet the requirements of the Societies Act as this was a non-profit group. Never in my wildest imagination had I expected that subject of conversation.   

Colin P said:
I had a girlfriend with let's say "exotic tastes" and she took me to the "leather appreciation show" put on by a society of similar name in Vancouver. While observe the large cast of characters I got to listen in to a conversation between a dominatrix and a transvestite arguing about the Robert Rules of Order for a meeting and the need to meet the requirements of the Societies Act as this was a non-profit group. Never in my wildest imagination had I expected that subject of conversation. 

But you couldn't interject with that gag ball in, right?

Once upon a time I was in the "biz" as a member of a somewhat successful band (I receive cheques for dozens of dollars for radio play from years ago). The Canadian scene is tiny, everyone knows each other, and there were plenty of Jian stories going around. This was 5 years ago. I actually ran into him a couple times at various schmooze fests, and he definitely had a "vibe" about him when interacting with women. When people say "none of this surprises me" they mean it. It's tragic that his position of power is probably what allowed him to get away with this behaviour for so long. But also, we as a society have to change the prevailing narrative around rape and similar allegations. Lots of people are still defending him, and by extension painting the victims as opportunistic. No wonder no one came foward until the story was broken. I can only imagine how ashamed and embarrassed they must feel.

As far as the CBC goes, I'm with Recceguy. Privatize it. It's become a mouthpiece for the government, the news and political analysis is as shallow as what you would see on CNN, and the original programming tries so hard to be "Canadian" it's impossible for it to be relevant or edgy.

Interesting to read that Lucy Decoutere is now a TDO in New Brunswick (Gagetown?). I always enjoyed her in Trailer Park Boys.

Kilo_302 said:
But also, we as a society have to change the prevailing narrative around rape and similar allegations. Lots of people are still defending him, and by extension painting the victims as opportunistic.

This is why people often times refuse to come forward. They would rather suffer in silence than relive the horrid experience, this time in the court of public opinion.  I believe it to be a shame.

Kilo_302 said:
As far as the CBC goes, I'm with Recceguy. Privatize it. It's become a mouthpiece for the government, the news and political analysis is as shallow as what you would see on CNN, and the original programming tries so hard to be "Canadian" it's impossible for it to be relevant or edgy.

Before I moved to Australia and started watching the ABC, I would have agreed.  However, the ABC here doesn't have that same vibe (it's still left-wing, but not as left as CBC) and it has great Aussie content. 

The best parts, in my opinion, are on ABC Radio.  They have two stations (Triple J and Double J) which are national and geared towards the 20-35 crowd - lots of great (mostly Aussie) music of all genres, age-group relevant talk programs (e.g. Hack, dealing with trending issues), great original programming (Like a Version is amazing, where guest acts come in to play one of their songs and a cover of another one) and best of all, no commercials.  Both are very popular all around the country, even with the same commercial radio saturation as in Canada - I don't listen to commercial radio anymore.  That being said, satellite radio is all but non-existent here.

I have always thought that Triple J would work well in Canada.

Kilo_302 said:
It's become a mouthpiece for the government...

I would hardly classify the CBC as a mouthpiece for the government. At least not the current government.

ModlrMike said:
I would hardly classify the CBC as a mouthpiece for the government. At least not the current government.

As an avid CBC Radio 2 listener, I completely agree with you.

Like it or not, it's going to be a sad day when all I can get on the dial are Astral Media owned stations shoving commercials down my throat.

Kilo_302 said:
It's become a mouthpiece for the government ....
Have you & I been listening to different CBC's?

Dimsum said:
Before I moved to Australia and started watching the ABC, I would have agreed.  However, the ABC here doesn't have that same vibe (it's still left-wing, but not as left as CBC) and it has great Aussie content. 
Australia and the UK have very good publicly-funded broadcasting systems that lessons could be learned from.

Bumped with more than just a bit of Schadenfreude ....

<cue agent-like character>

hustle1.jpg

"Jian, baby, of COURSE we luv ya - yer da best - but you're just too .... hot for us right now ....."
High profile PR firm Navigator is no longer representing Jian Ghomeshi. In a terse statement issued earlier today, the firm stated:

In response to numerous media requests, Navigator confirms it does not advise Jian Ghomeshi. Regrettably, the circumstances of our engagement have changed and we are no longer able to continue. No further comment will be issued.

Ghomeshi's long-standing PR firm, Toronto-based rockit-promotions has also just dropped Ghomeshi, tweeting: Going forward, rock-it promotions will no longer be representing Jian Ghomeshi. We won't be responding to or receiving media requests ....

Kilo_302 said:

CBC cannot be privatized and be successful.  Labour legislation does not allow disposal of the union and the CBC union is the main reason it loses $ 1 billion annually.  That is the union AND inertia not unlike the military where the simplest of tasks are over-managed.

I don't know that the Marxists at CBC are rooting for the Conservatives all that much.

Caught this on NPR on the way home tonight. Interesting comment by the Toronto Star's Editor on their decision to run the story when they did.

http://www.npr.org/2014/10/30/360179435/allegations-emerge-against-fired-cbc-host-jian-ghomeshi

And the CBC president chimes in ....
I’m not sure where to begin. Like you, the unfolding allegations of the past week have left me in shock, sadness, and some anger.

As you have no doubt heard, since CBC fired radio host Jian Ghomeshi on Sunday, his lawyers have commenced legal proceedings against us. That limits what we have been able to say about the circumstances of his firing, but we will defend our action. In the meantime, there are a few things that are important for me to address.

I have always been proud of the way we at CBC/Radio-Canada represent Canadian values; the way our airwaves are a platform for the promotion of equal rights, multiculturalism, and respect. We have worked hard to cement those values in the way we operate as an organization, and the way we treat each other. As I told a parliamentary committee last year, we have a robust system of training and policy in place to try to create a safe work environment, and to investigate and respond appropriately if incidents occur. This case raises concerns that our systems have not been enough, and that upsets us deeply.

I empathize with those who have felt powerless to speak out, or who have tried to speak out and felt ignored. As the father of two young daughters, I share your frustration.

As you may have heard, we continue to look into allegations of improprieties in the workplace. We will also bring in an outside company with the specific expertise to conduct an independent investigation. We expect that the investigation will allow us to identify improvements that may be necessary to existing systems and assure a healthy work environment. The Executive Vice-President of CBC, Heather Conway, shares my commitment and determination on this. Once the investigation has concluded, we will share the recommendations regarding any improvements to our policies and procedures with our Board, our employees and with Canadians.

We are very concerned by the additional allegations that have emerged in the media since October 26, and about the impact of these events on our employees and on all Canadians.  We are committed to ensuring a workplace that is free from all forms of violence and harassment.

CBC/Radio-Canada’s values are those of Canadians.  We will live up to those values.

Hubert T. Lacroix
President and CEO of CBC/Radio-Canada

Back