• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

issued firearms

Martin de Souza,

There are ways to change the butt length for the C7; so, in theory, your personal weapon could be made to be quite comfortable regardless of whether you were short or tall.

Originally posted by L/MCpl_Argyll_ Kurrgan:
[qb] "I know a reason to carry a personal weapon. in case you loose you rifle,"

I wouldn‘t want a pistol in that situation because your section commander or Pl WO will use your own pistol on you for being stupid enough to lose your rifle. Or if the CSM finds out...that pistol will be rammed up your *** ...with the help of his pace stick... [/qb]
lol exactly.

A few months ago I read a US Army after-action report on the Iraqi fighting. The report concentrated on weapons and the interviews were done in the field -- some before the invasion part ended.

All US soldiers who had occasion to use their pistols complained about feed problems. The magazine is the culprit, as mentioned in another post. Also, the Army uses issues ball ammo for the pistol. Many GIs reported shooting a bad guy and not even slowing him down -- the slugs went right on through. There is a move afoot to change combat ammo to hollow-point, like cops carry. Pistols were used a good deal in Iraq, due to the amount of urban fighting.

Some units deployed a few M-14s along with regular weapons. Troops often needed to reach out beyond 5.56 effective range and the 14 filled the bill quite nicely.

The best weapon for opening doors proved to be a shotgun with rifled slugs. LOL

The .50 sniper rifle came in for a lot of praise. One shooter fired on a bad guy standing on a water tower carrying an RPG. He said the shot was quite successful -- only the lower torso remained on the tower catwalk. Several snipers reported multiple kills with a single shot.

Various types of kit and commo gear were discussed in the report. I‘ll see if I can find the link again. I stumbled into it by accident the first time.

A Marine friend of mine says he saw a similar report from Iraq reporting on Marine units. That one I haven‘t seen.

Jim

Was that sniper firing at the vehicle behind the guy with the RPG? Cuz shooting people with a .50 Cal is against the Geneva Convention. But then again...what do the Swiss know? :sniper:

Originally posted by L/MCpl_Argyll_ Kurrgan:
[qb] Cuz shooting people with a .50 Cal is against the Geneva Convention. But then again...what do the Swiss know? :sniper: [/qb]
I always thought and have been told as well that that is a commonly held military myth face it you would not be able to use 40mm grenades on people as well if that had any degree of truth.

But its a grenade not a bullet. Meh, I never read the convention. I‘m just going by what ever Officer and Snr NCO has told me for the past 4 years.

Originally posted by Al-X:
[qb] where can i get a legal c7 in Canada?
:cdn: :mg: [/qb]
The closest thing you can get is a Colt or Bushmaster or other variant of the M16 or M4 (the carbine version), sold for export, in a semi-auto only configuration.

They are expensive - $2200 and up. And they are hard to find - gun stores seldom carry them and it‘s hard to find private owners willing to sell them.

You can only use 5 rd mags (30 rd mags pinned to 5 rds), which makes it a short-lived thrill, firing off a mag.

I am still considering buying one myself, but I don‘t like maying that much for something I will hardly ever use.

The weapons are classed as "restricted" in the semi-auto mode, and of course, you need a firearms licence and an authorization to transport to bring them anywhere.

Before you ask, no, Diemaco, the maker of the CF‘s C7 and C8 rifles, does NOT sell to the civilian market (although they can and do make semi-auto only versions). I believe this is because of a licence agreement with Colt, but probably also to do with their supply contract to the CF.

Good luck!

Kurrgan, remember what they taught us - the .50 is for use on equipment only, not personnel.

Webbing - that‘s equipment.
Buttons - that‘s equipment.
Load carriage gear - that‘s equipment.
Goggles - equipment.

etc

Originally posted by combat_medic:
[qb] From my father, the 30-year police veteran:

By the way, does anyone here use iron sights anymore? Any idea where I can get an iron sight attachment for a flat top C7 that‘s legal in Canada? [/qb]
I had a chance to hang around some pathfinders and they seemed to have an attachment for the C7 that had some sort of raised Iron sight on the forstock...however I never saw the thing in actual use. :mg:

Combat Medic says:

I saw kids on many courses of mine saying "I‘m only here for a little while until I get into special forces" or, "I‘m heading into SAR right after this.".......These are 16 year old kids who have no idea what‘s involved in any of these occupations. Like the kids who want to do recce, or become snipers, or paratroopers......Anyway, just ignore these kids.
I agree that all these "kids" see is glamourized war and so on but it isn‘t fair for you to just come on and discourage everyone who has plans to "do recce, or become snipers, or paratroopers." I personally plan on becoming a sniper in the CF and believe that I can. And I have seen the other side of it other that blowing **** up.

J. Lightfoot

Hulk: Believing you can do something will not necessarily make it happen, contrary to the "Little Engine that Could". If you have less than 20/20 vision, any kind of medical problems, and are in anything less than peak physical condition, you will not be a sniper no matter how much you think you can.

How about instead of "I WILL be a sniper in the CF" you have the goal of "I want to be the best soldier I can be, and hope one day to be good enough to get course loaded for basic sniper." Also, getting on the course is no guarantee of passing, and passing is no guarantee of being employed as a sniper. Making statements like that just make you look like a little kid who has watched "Enemy at the Gates" and "Sniper" too many times.

Oh, and unless you have some kind of advanced reg force recce qualification, then you don‘t know "the other side of it." There are several qualified snipers on this board who will jump down your throat for statements like those. There are also hundreds of kids like yourself popping up on threads like these every single day talking about how they‘re going to be in the special forces/snipers/paratroopers/SAR techs etc, and yet aren‘t even medically fit enough to be a CSS trade, and are too stupid to pass the written exam. Please don‘t add to the pile, there‘s enough as it is.

I think combat medic is spot on.
I and others like me were completely void of the whole ‘hero vision‘ when we joined. I didn‘t know if I would even survive the MCPL on basic or the SGT. in the BSL. Should I have ever even once pulled the whole "I‘m a badass attitude" I would have been flushed on the spot or at least in for a world of hurt to the point where I wished I was flushed.
I found out I could shoot and remember things I was told. Number memory is important for map work,weapons etc...
Day by day I just learned and presto, you got recomended just from hard work.
Every course I went to I had confidence but to think you are already the man before you prove it is very dangerous and can actually short circuit your goals.
My advice is to approach every course with an open mind and humility. It is much better to tell yourself that "I can complete this task to standard" as you go through a course compared to "I am pathfinder/sniper/ranger material"
You will only get through task by task, as when you come to the river in winter that you must swim across in your scivies to keep your kit dry,this is a task. Tired and cold and under stress,you will not cross that river for a funky badge believe me. :eek: :crybaby: I flushed many a ‘badass‘ from different courses but in truth you don‘t see many in the forces because they don‘t make it that far.

Confidence is a key ingredient but don‘t let it **** you in the *** ! :eek: :salute: :cdn:

I looked at the number of individuals loaded on sniper courses versus those that passed for 5 bde a while ago. Not alot passed. (Something like 7 out of around 20 if I remember). Thes were all switched on guys. Members who had proven themselves to be solid soldiers. All of them were excellent in a recce role. The boys in 1R22R keep winning or placing well at sniper concentrations. They are definitely not going to choose,(and they generally get to), some smartmouthed punk with too much attitude. If you are deadset on going sniper or some other field requiring intense dedication just to be selected, I‘d advise keeping your mouth shut, ears open, and pay attention to the guys with experience. Be prepared to suffer rejection. Most guys don‘t make it, not because they are not excellent shots, but because they didn‘t have enough patience on the stalk. By the way, 20/20 vision is not an absolute must, nor is being right handed or being a non-smoker like in the old days, although it might help. There are technologies to compensate for the first two, and if you have enough willpower to pass the course, could probably kick the habit without blinking an eye.

I‘m believe within 3 years of my contract i‘ll have the sniper course. Not only that I predict I‘ll finish in the top 3.

Hows that for confidence :)

Wow, that would be stellar. :warstory:
First for everything though I guess.
I could have done that if I wasn‘t so **** cross eyed. :blotto:

Im not being "cocky," "Im hardass," "some smartmouthed punk with too much attitude" etc..., I‘m just saying that I know I can do it. Even if I don‘t get employed as a sniper, I believe that I can still pass the course. I know all of you have more experience than I do, but I‘ve done a lot of research on this, even though that doesnt make it so that you know what to expect. Anyway, thank you all so much for the salubrious comments to encourage me.

Back