• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Israel bans images of too skinny models

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Models with body mass index below 18.5 may not be shown in Israeli media, on websites or go down catwalk at fashion shows.

Starting on Tuesday, female and male models who have a body mass index (BMI) of less than 18.5 may not be shown in the media or on Israeli websites or go down the catwalk at fashion shows.

The law, initiated by then-Kadima MK Rachel Adatto, aims to protect impressionable teens from eating disorders.

Every year, an average of 30 young adults and teens die of anorexia or bulimia.

The law, also sponsored by Likud-Beytenu MK Danny Danon and believed to be the first of its kind in the world, does make violations a criminal offense bearing a fine. But violators can be sued in court by interested citizens, including families whose relatives have suffered or died due to eating disorders encouraged by images of overly thin models.

While the media that publish or present illegal images are not liable, they will get a bad image for doing so; the company that produced the ad, ran the fashion show or used the overly skinny presenter can be taken to court.

In addition, any advertisement made to look with Photoshop or other graphics programs as if the model has a BMI under 18.5 has to be labeled with the warning that the image was distorted. The warning must be clear and prominent, covering at least 7 percent of the ad space ....
Jerusalem Post, 1 Jan 13

Hey someone finally has the parts to go against the grain and not do normal. I applaud this decision. For one, bone rack runway models are not attractive and look like heroin addicts. I believe its the start of new trend (I hope). Use real attractive looking women not skeletons with skin.

ArmyRick said:
Hey someone finally has the parts to go against the grain and not do normal. I applaud this decision. For one, bone rack runway models are not attractive and look like heroin addicts. I believe its the start of new trend (I hope). Use real attractive looking women not skeletons with skin.
Agreed - can't have curves if one weighs 90 lbs....

Agreed, I'd take number one over number two, any day.

We can always use more legislation.  ::)

If you don't like skinny models, don't buy the product they're advertising.

Phew. I can still live my dream to be an Israeli model. ;D

cupper said:
Phew. I can still live my dream to be an Israeli model. ;D

Found your pic:

fat-internet-man.jpg

Journeyman said:
We can always use more legislation.  ::)

If you don't like skinny models, don't buy the product they're advertising.

I understand where you are coming from and I completely agree when we're talking about adults who should know better. However, the Israeli government came up with this law to prevent young, impressionable teens and pre-teens. The number of children, both male and female, as young as 8 years old with eating disorders is increasing every year.

I think Israel has made a bold step in the right direction to help decrease the number of teens who suffer with poor body image.  I also think parents need to take a stand. When kids see their parents criticizing each other's weight or, worse still, the child's weight, it makes them value themselves based on their weight, rather than the person they are underneath it all.

I don't know if outlawing skinny models is necessarily the best solution. I think we need to take the time out to educate our youths and to provide them with a stronger sense of self worth. However, I do like that Israel is recognizing there is a problem.

dapaterson said:
Found your pic:

fat-internet-man.jpg

My eyes, mental state and dreams nightmares are forever changed.  There is no hell that can ease the pain after that... 

It was the beard..........right?

I understand the point of what they're doing, but whether I agree with it or not...  18.5?  So they're trying to tell people not to obsess with weight, yet at the same time they're telling them that if they're even a little below average, they can't be in the media.  That only seems rational if you're practicing doublethink.  I'd rather not trade one type of eating disorder for another.  Overeating just for the sake of gaining weight, which some people would have to do in order to make average BMI, isn't necessarily any safer than undereating just to lose a little weight.  I agree that eating disorders are a problem, but we should pick our fights more rationally.  For those who aren't up to date on statistics, recent studies show that, for the first time in history, there are now more obesity related deaths than there are starvation related deaths.

Some people might benefit from eating more, but a lot more people would benefit from eating less.

And even with a BMI of 18.5, a 6' tall model (which is not unheard of) would only be 136 lbs.

Will this ban help?  Hard to say.  Is it a start?  Maybe.....

My issue with the media in general is not that there are slim/skinny models on magazine covers. I just think there should be MORE covers with a wider range of body types on them respectively. There are several people who are a size 2 who are gorgeous and there are several who are a size 12 and gorgeous.  Why can't there be more images to suit everyone's taste?  The 'norm' dictated in our society right now is that skinny is prettier than not-skinny and it's not as accepted to think otherwise.

I feel helpless on what to say to a 3 year old who looks in the mirror and says her tummy is too big--she literally studies herself.  I know her parents well and they have never belittled her body in any manner. Where did she get this from?  Young girls are bombarded by photoshopped, unrealistic images of what they should look like virtually everywhere. It's sad and it wasn't this prevalent when I was growing up.

My niece is modelling in Shanghai right now and regularly posts pictures on Facebook. My wife uses those pictures to show my 8 year old daughter what a false image it is. She asks is that what your cousin looks like in real life? My daughter is now quite aware of the difference between reality and image.

meanwhile back in Israel. http://topshelf.com.au/?p=1062

Colin P said:
My niece is modelling in Shanghai right now and regularly posts pictures on Facebook. My wife uses those pictures to show my 8 year old daughter what a false image it is. She asks is that what your cousin looks like in real life? My daughter is now quite aware of the difference between reality and image.

That's a terrific idea and so helpful in that she has a tangible example from which to compare.

Back