• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Is this the best I can do?"

Chrispi

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

Currently, I sit here writing this post from my mid-town Toronto office.  The company that employees me has done so for the past 10 years, and like most days, I sit here wondering "Is this the best I can do?"  Overall, I am not totally unhappy with my job, heck, I've been doing it for 10 years!  I make 50K a year, I have a house, a car, and I'm liked in the workplace.  That being said, even with +15 years experience in my field (Investigations, Audit and Security) I'm well down the office totem-pole as several people in my dept. have 15+ experience with this company alone.  My opportunities for upward mobility are limited, and really, I can't see myself doing this for another 10 years waiting for my boss to retire.

I've yet to visit a recruitment office, although I've looked over the Canadian Forces website, spoken with friends, family, and all have been helpful, and supportive.

My questions, are vast and numerous, but most importantly, I ask about the potential changes to my family and career path.  My wife and I are both in our young 30's, no kids (or desire for them), and have no commitments that require us to be in Toronto other than employment and our home.  Is it possible to be a member of the Canadian Forces and still have a family here in Toronto, or if I joined, would it be assumed that my wife and I would be re-locating?

Secondarily, I ask about the potential career paths for a 30 something guy, with a background in Investigations / Security and Audit with only a college Diploma in Law Enforcement.  17 years ago I enrolled in college with the mindset of being a Police Officer.  When I graduated, I no longer wanted to be a Police Officer, and was drawn to the private sector.  I worked my way up from "Mall Cop", to K9 Security, to Conservation Officer, to Private Investigator, to finally Corporate Investigator and Auditor.  While I am not adverse to physical labor, and would classify myself in fair to better than average physical shape, I wonder what type of career path would be best for someone who's spent the better part of his career as a desk jockey.  I like most, have dreams and desires to be a pilot, drive a tank, or command a submarine, I also know realistically, these are just dreams...

Aside from speaking to a recruiter, which I will do in the coming days, I'd love to hear some thoughts, experiences, or and recommendations, be them positive or negative.

Regards,
C

Chrispi, welcome to the forum.

To answer your first question, yes you would indeed be expected to move elsewhere, all dependent on trade, openings, etc.  If you wish to join without having to move, the Reserves might be an option for you.

As far as the other stuff, you can be anything you want, depending on your CFAT results and again, trade openings and how long you might be willing to wait for enrollment.

Read some of the threads here on Recruiting, Application Process Samples and there are many in the Personal Stories that may be of interest to you.

Good luck!!

Chrispi said:
...most importantly, I ask about the potential changes to my family and career path.  My wife and I are both in our young 30's, no kids (or desire for them), and have no commitments that require us to be in Toronto other than employment and our home.  Is it possible to be a member of the Canadian Forces and still have a family here in Toronto, or if I joined, would it be assumed that my wife and I would be re-locating?

What, exactly, are you asking in the bolded sentence? Is there a way you can serve while largely staying put in Toronto?  If your wife can stay in Toronto while you're posted hither and yon?

There's a rather small number of CF personnel in Toronto. There's the folks at the recruiting center, some at DRDC in Downsview, and some posted in support positions with the local reserve units. You're unlikely to be posted to any of these places initially.

You might go to Petawawa, Trenton, or Kingston, depending on your trade, none of which are ridiculous for visiting from, but there'd still be a fair bit of separation from your spouse if she refuses to move with you. What's more, there's no guarantee you'll be sent to any of those bases initially, let alone for the bulk of your career.

Join the reserves, by all means, but you seriously need to talk to that recruiter about what realistic expectations are.

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your prompt responses, they are very much appreciated.

I have no desire to join the Reserves.  It's not that I have something against the Reserves, but a matter of wanting a full time career, and not a part time job while I continue to be employed elsewhere.

Joining the CAF would be a 100% commitment, and more-so than anything, I wanted to know the effect it would have on my Wife and her career.  Is it realistic for me to join, while my wife continued her career here in Toronto.  While I understand there are some financial changes that will obviously need to be made, considering the lifestyle effects on my Wife are the bigger of my concerns.  Outside of that, I want to ensure that my career path is chosen wisely, for fear of; in 10 years finding myself in the same position and in my 40's.

While it may only be me that joins, it's a decision made by both my Wife and I.  I want to ensure that I've not left out anything when considering all my options.

Thanks again.

Regards,
C

A full time career in the CF is a very demanding one.  It's not just a job, it's a lifestyle, like it or not.  Everything in your life will inevitably revolve around the requirements of the service, so I can confidently say that your joining the CF will have a very large impact on your wife's career, and possibly your relationship as a result.  Your chances of carrying out a CF career in the GTA are slim, closer to none, and that would only happen after the months, or more likely years of training you would have to go through before your initial posting.    I know this probably isn't what you would like to hear, but it's as brutally honest as I can be.

You could always take all your postings as IR (Imposed Restriction = separate) and your wife could stay in Toronto, however, I have a feeling that would be extremely hard on one's marriage.

I'm just coming off two years of IR myself and luckily, I was close enough to drive home on the weekends.  Last time we were separated, we weren't so lucky, Gagetown, NB and Petawawa, ON.  :-\

Chrispi,

I applaud the dedication to the goals you have in mind. The suggestions above regarding the reserve are not without merit and from voices of experience. Joining the Regular Force means moving and going where and when you are told to, simple as that. This means you accept the IRP move (your whole family and effects) that is offered, or you go on IR (just you, separated from family). As mentioned above, the odds of being posted to an Ontario base are even at best and then there are travel concerns.

If you are testing the waters, then the Reserves are the way to go. If you have found a trade that is uniquely available to the Regular Force, your option is limited. Either choice you make, can and may very well affect your family, so in the long run looking at all your options is a wise course to take.

Perhaps a good first step for you would be to join the Reserves in Toronto as a way of testing the waters, so to speak.

That way you can still stay in Toronto for the time being, and you can see if the military lifestyle is really for you.  You can keep your house and other job and just do it part time for now.

If you don't like it, it's much easier to quit and you still have your old job/house.  If you like it then you can go full-time if you want.

If you join the reg force and end up not liking it though, it's a bit more to get out and you would have spent more time away from your family for nothing (and likely quit your job). 

Good afternoon,

Apologizes for the late thread refresh, but I wanted to say thank you to everyone who  PM'd me and responded.  Everyone's comments have been much appreciated.

I've booked off time this Friday to speak to a Recruiter, and have further spoken with my wife regarding all the possible changes that would be made to our lifestyle, and her career.

Again, thank you to everyone, keep up the great work on these forums, I really enjoy(ed) reading them.

Regards,
C

Good luck and I hope your meeting goes well.
You might want to try bringing a list of questions you have with you when you go.  I did this and I found it extremely helpful since the whole process can sometimes be a little overwhelming and I didn`t want to forget anything.

Back