• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is the Canadian Naval Reserve all but finished?

Dimsum said:
I could see pier-side FP for a multinational task force, but would other nations allow foreign FP personnel onboard their ships/submarines?
NTS will be pier-side and on-water FP, not onboard.

All good comments and questions...  As things stand right now, please remember that we're looking at NST from a pre-IOC phase.  While we have the concepts created, we are working on making that concept a reality.

Using the Class A framework is going to be the largest stumbling block we have, for many of the reasons listed above.  Remember, this is not a surge capability.  This is a deliberate deployment, and as such, will have a 6-9month lead time. 

A set of IT (Individual Training) requirements will be submitted to all NRDs, with NAVRES HQ support.  Those selected will be brought to Esquimalt 5 weeks before deployment for CT (Collective Training) to be completed on site.  Once the herd has been thinned, and we have reached the appropriate watermarks for training, we will deploy to whichever port the ship(s) will be at that we're supporting. 

Don't think of this as something for every port visit, rather something for the RAMP visits.  We arrive 3-4 days in advance, we execute whatever force protection is required based on the threat and ship's CO concurrence, wave the ship off, and return home.

Again, we are in the trial phase.  IOC is scheduled for the upcoming summer, and it is a proof of concept.  There's a lot of moving pieces, both strategic and tactical, that need to be weighed off prior to deploying.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to post them here, or in an appropriate forum.  I'd prefer to keep all of this public, so you have the transparency needed to fully understand what the team is going to be.

Cheers,

NST Team

My last parade night we had a briefing and a small portion of it was in regards to the NST. The NST portion was very vague. What I was told was NAVRES wants to get 400 personnel trained up (Primarily Class A) and from there NST will take a portion (70-100 was the estimated number for one deployment) of that to deploy wherever. I was also told there will be some training for NST run in early to mid summer and that there could be a deployment as early as the summer of 2018 to East Asia. Again, not much was said but so far it sounds like something really interesting.

There is no reason a smaller vessel 50' can't be stationed at any of the marine based Reserve units and be taken out on Saturday or even during the evening. A lot of the basic seamanship stuff is built around just doing it.

Colin P said:
There is no reason a smaller vessel 50' can't be stationed at any of the marine based Reserve units and be taken out on Saturday or even during the evening. A lot of the basic seamanship stuff is built around just doing it.

I'm an advocate of building another 8 ORCA's and stationing them on the Great Lakes, during the winter they could be hauled out of the water and put through a 2 month maintenance period. From Spring until late Fall they could ply the lakes.

I'm surprised no one is mentioning all the new things going on for the naval reserves. The mission of the Naval reserves will be Class A, Orca and new NST. The MCDV's are changing 40% of their billets to regular force this year, and the year after 100%. All class of ship will have 5% reserves at any one time in the future, mostly as back fills. Contracts up to a year will be given no more than two consecutive contracts. All members on Class B/C that have a year experience Class C in the last 5 years will be offered a transfer at rank up to PO1 and LCdr.

Hot off the press

RAAUZYUW RCCLHBF2012 3501424-UUUU--RCWBMBA.

ZNR UUUUU ZOC

R 131717Z DEC 16

FM NDHQ C NAVY OTTAWA

TO NAVGEN

BT

UNCLAS NAVGEN 041/16 RCN 048/16

SIC CNV/DPV/WLF

SUBJ: COMPONENT TRANSFER OPPORTUNITY FOR NAVRES TO REG F RCN

REF: A. NAVGEN 034-13 - NAVAL RESERVE SEA SERVICE

B. NPI 003 - NAVAL RESERVE SEA SERVICE

C. DAOD 5002-3 - COMPONENT AND SUB-COMPONENT TRANSFER

D. CF MIL PERS INST 20-04 - ADMIN POLICY OF CLASS A, CLASS B, AND

CLASS C RESERVE SERVICE

E. CF MIL PERS INST 03-08 - CF COMPONENT TRANSFER AND COMPONENT

TRANSFER CAREER PROGRAMS

1. IT IS THE CDS AND MND VISION THAT OUR RESERVES EVOLVE TO FULFILL

A MODERN, STRATEGIC ROLE BASED ON AUGMENTING THE REGULAR COMPONENT

OF THE CAF. WITHIN THE RCN, THIS INTENT CONTINUES TO BE THE RAISON D

ETRE OF THE ONGOING MODERNIZATION OF THE NAVAL RESERVE STRUCTURAL

REVIEW. CONCURRENT WITH THIS REVIEW IS A CHANGE IN THE CREWING MODEL

FOR OUR KINGSTON CLASS SHIPS

2. SINCE THE INTRODUCTION OF THIS CLASS IN 1995, THE NAVAL RESERVE

(NAVRES) HAS BEEN TASKED WITH THE CREWING OF THESE VESSELS. THIS LED

TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF A CADRE OF FULL-TIME CLASS C RESERVISTS WHO

FOR SEVERAL YEARS WERE ABLE TO MEET KINGSTON MANNING REQUIREMENTS.

HOWEVER, IN THE LONG TERM, THIS FORCE GENERATION MODEL PROVED TO BE

UNSUSTAINABLE.

3. AS A CONSEQUENCE, IN THE NEAR FUTURE THE CREWING OF THE KINGSTON

CLASS (I.E. THE ESTABLISHMENT) WILL CHANGE AS THE RCN REPURPOSES

EXISTING REGULAR FORCE POSITIONS INTO THESE VESSELS. THE GOAL IS TO

TRANSITION OUR CURRENT CREWING MODEL AS EXPEDITIOUSLY AND AS

SEAMLESSLY AS POSSIBLE, SUCH THAT BY 2019 THE KINGSTON CLASS WILL BE

CREWED PRIMARILY BY REGULAR FORCE PERSONNEL, WITH RESERVE PERSONNEL

AUGMENTING AT A LEVEL ACROSS THE ENTIRE RCN SURFACE FLEET AT A

MINIMUM OF FIVE PERCENT PER UNIT

4. IN LIGHT OF THESE CHANGES, ALL RESERVISTS, LCDR AND BELOW AND PO1

AND BELOW WHO MEET THE CRITERIA, WILL BE INVITED TO COMPONENT

TRANSFER (CT) TO THE REGULAR FORCE, AT RANK. THE CRITERIA ARE AS

FOLLOWS (NOTE THAT PERSONNEL WHO FALL OUTSIDE OF THE CRITERIA AND

WHO DESIRE A CT TO THE REGULAR FORCE WILL BE PROCESSED IN ACCORDANCE

WITH THE EXISTING CT APPLICATION PROCESS):

A. PERSONNEL CURRENTLY EMPLOYED IN A CLASS C CAPACITY IN A KINGSTON

CLASS VESSEL

B. PERSONNEL CURRENTLY ON CLASS A OR B EMPLOYMENT WHO HAVE BEEN ON

CLASS C CONTRACT WITHIN THE PAST 5 YEARS (FROM DATE OF PROMULGATION

OF THIS MESSAGE) IN A KINGSTON CLASS VESSEL

C. ARE LCDR OR BELOW (OFFICERS) OR PO1 AND BELOW (NCMS) IN RANK

D. CURRENT MOS IS: MARS, NCIOP, NAV COMM, BOSN, MESO, OR COOK (SEE

PARA 8A)

5. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT UNDER THIS INITIATIVE PERSONNEL SELECTED

FOR CT WHO ARE CURRENTLY POSTED TO A KINGSTON CLASS SHIP WILL

INITIALLY CONTINUE TO SERVE IN THAT CAPACITY. FUTURE EMPLOYMENT WILL

BE IAW NORMAL POSTING/CAREER CYCLES WITH THE INTENT THAT SERVICE IN

OTHER CLASSES OF SHIPS WILL REQUIRE DELTA TRAINING. PERSONNEL SHOULD

BE AWARE THAT FUTURE POSTINGS MIGHT INVOLVE POSTINGS OUTSIDE HPD IN

KEEPING WITH THE REGULAR FORCE REQUIREMENTS. FOR PERSONNEL CURRENTLY

POSTED ASHORE IN CLASS A OR B POSITIONS WHO MEET THE CRITERIA ABOVE,

A DETERMINATION OF DELTA TRAINING WHEN/IF REQUIRED WILL BE RESOLVED

ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS

6. THE RCN WILL CONTINUE TO PROMOTE ITS BEST OFFICERS AND NCMS BASED

ON MERIT. SELECTION BOARDS WILL IDENTIFY SAILORS WHO HAVE MASTERED

PERFORMANCE AND LEADERSHIP AT SEA AND HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO LEAD AT

THE NEXT RANK. I FULLY EXPECT THAT GIVEN THE MANY YEARS OF SEA-GOING

EXPERIENCE AMONGST THE PERSONNEL WHO CHOOSE TO CT, THAT THEY WILL

COMPETE FAVOURABLY AT THESE BOARDS.

7. CT CANDIDATES WILL BE PROCESSED IAW EXISTING CAF CT POLICIES.

HOWEVER, SPECIFIC ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSES WILL BE INTRODUCED TO

STREAMLINE AND EXPEDITE THE CT PROCESS. AS SUCH, MEMBERS WILL NOT

APPLY ON-LINE, BUT RATHER A LETTER OF OFFER WILL BE SENT DIRECTLY TO

THOSE INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED AS MEETING THE

AFOREMENTIONED REQUIREMENTS. D NAV P AND T 3, SUPPORTED BY PCC

QUEBEC, WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPILING THE REQUIRED INFORMATION

AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION, CONFIRMING THAT MEMBERS ARE QUALIFIED

IN OCCUPATION AND RANK, AND IDENTIFYING REGULAR FORCE POSITIONS INTO

WHICH MEMBERS WILL BE POSTED. THE LETTERS OF OFFER WILL ALSO INCLUDE

INFORMATION ON RANK AND POSITIONS. INDIVIDUALS WHO RECEIVE THESE

LETTERS WILL BE REQUIRED TO RESPOND NLT 30 JUN 17. ONCE AN

INDIVIDUAL ACCEPTS THE OFFER THEY WILL BE CONTACTED TO CONFIRM PAY

INCENTIVE, EPZ, COS, AND ADDITIONAL TRANSITION DETAILS. PERSONNEL

WHO MEET THE STATED CRITERIA AND WHO HAVE ALREADY SUBMITTED CT

APPLICATIONS VIA THE REGULAR PROCESS NEED NOT WITHDRAW THOSE

APPLICATIONS, AS THEY WILL ALSO BE CONSIDERED UNDER THIS INITIATIVE

8. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR NCMS:

A. AT THIS TIME THE INITIATIVE PERTAINS TO NCIOP, NAV COMM, BOSN,

AND MESO. ASSISTANT CMP IS THE OCCUPATION AUTHORITY (OA) FOR THE

COOK OCCUPATION AND IN PARTNERSHIP WITH THE RCN WILL EXTEND THIS

INITIATIVE TO THE COOKS, ALTHOUGH THEIR LETTERS WILL BE MODIFIED TO

ADDRESS DIFFERENCES. NAVRES NCMS IN OTHER OCCUPATIONS ARE STILL

ELIGIBLE TO SUBMIT CT REQUESTS THROUGH THE EXISTING CT PROCESS

B. FOR MESO, PERSONNEL ARE TO INDICATE IN THEIR RESPONSES PREFERENCE

FOR EITHER THE ELECTRICAL OR MECHANICAL STREAM

C. THE PORT INSPECTION DIVER (PID) OCCUPATION IS BEING CONSIDERED

FOR INCLUSION IN THIS INITIATIVE. ONCE CONFIRMED, FURTHER DETAILS

WILL BE FORWARDED

9. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR OFFICERS:

A. THE INITIATIVE PERTAINS TO MARS OFFICERS ONLY. FOR FUTURE

EMPLOYMENT, IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THE REQUIREMENT ASSOCIATED WITH

COMMAND OF AN FFH OR JSS WILL NOT CHANGE (I.E. ORO COURSE PLUS

SURFACE COMMAND QUALIFICATION). COMMAND OF A MMS OR AOPV WILL

REQUIRE EITHER A MINOR WAR VESSEL COMMAND QUALIFICATION OR A SURFACE

COMMAND QUALIFICATION. NAVRES OFFICERS IN OTHER OCCUPATIONS ARE

STILL ELIGIBLE TO SUBMIT CT REQUESTS THROUGH THE EXISTING CT PROCESS

B. CDR AND CPO FILES WILL BE REVIEWED ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND

RANK/POSITION OFFERS/RECOMMENDATIONS WILL BE TAILORED TO INDIVIDUAL

CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE

10. FOR ALL RANKS, PERSONNEL WHO BELIEVE THEY HAVE SPECIAL

CIRCUMSTANCES NOT ADDRESSED BY THIS NAVGEN (FOR EXAMPLE THOSE

ELIGIBLE PERSONNEL WHO WISH TO CT INTO A RCN MANAGED OCCUPATION NOT

IDENTIFIED IN PARA 8A OR PARA 9A) AND WHO WISH TO BE CONSIDERED

UNDER THIS CT INITIATIVE ARE INVITED TO CONTACT D NAV P AND T 3.

SIMILARLY PERSONNEL WITH QUESTIONS MAY CONTACT D NAV P AND T 3

DIRECTLY

11. IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THIS OPPORTUNITY IS COMPLETELY

VOLUNTARY AND THAT THOSE PERSONNEL WHO DO NOT WISH TO COMPONENT

TRANSFER INTO THE REGULAR FORCE MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR EMPLOYMENT

THROUGHOUT THE SURFACE FLEET OR IN OTHER CAPACITIES.

12. THIS INITIATIVE IS AIMED AT ENHANCING THE CAPABILITY OF THE RCN

WHILE MEETING THE PRIORITIES OF TODAY S FLEET AND PREPARING FOR THE

FUTURE FLEET.

FSTO said:
I'm an advocate of building another 8 ORCA's and stationing them on the Great Lakes, during the winter they could be hauled out of the water and put through a 2 month maintenance period. From Spring until late Fall they could ply the lakes.

We said this exact thing to the Cmdre, with the exception that we said we'd be happy with 2 to 4 Orcas. Her answers was, "sure,  but you'll have to cut that cost from somewhere else."

Lumber said:
We said this exact thing to the Cmdre, with the exception that we said we'd be happy with 2 to 4 Orcas. Her answers was, "sure,  but you'll have to cut that cost from somewhere else."

How about the money spent on all the social experimentation that goes on in the CAF.  >:D

Oh boy...

Did she seem to understand that there was a long, long list of readily available things we could cut & redirect to more 'military things'? 

Good thing she didn't ask where we could have taken that money from.  I'm sure she'd have left with banker boxes full of lists.  >:D

CBH99 said:
Oh boy...

Did she seem to understand that there was a long, long list of readily available things we could cut & redirect to more 'military things'? 

Good thing she didn't ask where we could have taken that money from.  I'm sure she'd have left with banker boxes full of lists.  >:D

I'm actually going to claim ignorance here. As far as I can see, NAVRES is doing a good job of spending the money it has. The NRETS events are expensive, but that's nature of the beast; training people from 24 units across the country costs a lot in travel expenses. But I doubt those travel expenses, added up, equal the price of an ORCA, plus the infrastructure needed to maintain it.

Where else could we cut money from in NAVRES?

Lumber said:
I'm actually going to claim ignorance here. As far as I can see, NAVRES is doing a good job of spending the money it has. The NRETS events are expensive, but that's nature of the beast; training people from 24 units across the country costs a lot in travel expenses. But I doubt those travel expenses, added up, equal the price of an ORCA, plus the infrastructure needed to maintain it.

Where else could we cut money from in NAVRES?

How about NAVRESHQ? Shift the remaining functions to PacFlt and call it done.

ModlrMike said:
How about NAVRESHQ? Shift the remaining functions to PacFlt and call it done.
I think there's been enough trimming in QC that we can say that we've gotten to the point where there isn't really any duplication of function between NAVRESHQ and MARPAC HQ (i.e. IT, admin and finance services, etc). Everyone who's doing the minimal organizational support work in QC would just be shifted to Victoria, so there'd be relocation costs and no particular longer-term savings. The Fleet School in particular is now effectively just a classroom building and accommodations facility that can host courses owned by NPTG and staffed by augmentee instructors - not much fat to trim there either, and a useful bit of training capacity during peak periods.

Morning,

Hopefully I can provide some clarification.

NAVRESHQ is looking for 400 people, to determine training requirements, desire, ability to deploy, etc.  These 400 people will not be trained beyond the scope of what would normally be expected for someone who is looking to potentially take a class B or C contract.  They will most likely get extra resources to ensure that they are able to maintain C7/C8, Sig, first aid, etc.  Intent behind that is to get as much of the individual training done at the units.

I will be releasing the CFTPO's for the team later today, through PCC(O), who will then source via PCC(Q).  Working with them, we will select the 70 people who will be joining us for a 2 month contract for training and deployment to Korea, in order to test the RCN's capability of deploying a predominately class A expeditionary land force.  While this is something our friends in green do all the time, it's a new concept for us, and we want to make sure we do it right.

The training and deployment will take place from 15 May - 15 July (give or take a day or two) and will be on the west coast.  Should you want a contract for the remainder of summer, I've been assured that this will happen.

Hopefully that answers some of your questions, let me know if you have any more.

XO - NST

luttrellfan said:
My last parade night we had a briefing and a small portion of it was in regards to the NST. The NST portion was very vague. What I was told was NAVRES wants to get 400 personnel trained up (Primarily Class A) and from there NST will take a portion (70-100 was the estimated number for one deployment) of that to deploy wherever. I was also told there will be some training for NST run in early to mid summer and that there could be a deployment as early as the summer of 2018 to East Asia. Again, not much was said but so far it sounds like something really interesting.

I've heard informal discussions of this, but can someone point me to an official plan / message / document suitable for those without DIN access?  What happens to the KINGSTON class crews?  I don't see them being whisked off and replaced with Reg crews all of a sudden.  [lol:

nick21infinite said:
I've heard informal discussions of this, but can someone point me to an official plan / message / document suitable for those without DIN access?  What happens to the KINGSTON class crews?  I don't see them being whisked off and replaced with Reg crews all of a sudden.  [lol:
I don't think anyone is getting "whisked" anywhere. From what I understand, the plan is for the individuals to remain for the most part in their current positions, just with new (Reg F rather than class B/C) terms of service. At that point, when folks are posted off their ship in a future APS (maybe two or three years down the road) they'll either be replaced by a Reg F member or a class B/C person depending on availability.

Monsoon said:
I don't think anyone is getting "whisked" anywhere. From what I understand, the plan is for the individuals to remain for the most part in their current positions, just with new (Reg F rather than class B/C) terms of service. At that point, when folks are posted off their ship in a future APS (maybe two or three years down the road) they'll either be replaced by a Reg F member or a class B/C person depending on availability.

CT's are coming for Kingston Class personnel who want them and from what I have been told some, not all are taking them. The CT's are some time away and as previously stated some will remain in the Class until delta training can be completed and eventual transition to future fleet. Currently for some trades no further core crew SOU's are being given out however extensions are still being granted. I expect in regards to the core crew billets all trades will eventually be closed to personnel wanting them, with the eventual transition to an entire regular force crewing model with the exception of 5% (2 pers) being reserve on ship.
I suggest that any personnel looking for reserve employment call their career manager.

Chief Stoker said:
CT's are coming for Kingston Class personnel who want them and from what I have been told some, not all are taking them. The CT's are some time away and as previously stated some will remain in the Class until delta training can be completed and eventual transition to future fleet. Currently for some trades no further core crew SOU's are being given out however extensions are still being granted. I expect in regards to the core crew billets all trades will eventually be closed to personnel wanting them, with the eventual transition to an entire regular force crewing model with the exception of 5% (2 pers) being reserve on ship.
I suggest that any personnel looking for reserve employment call their career manager.
I think you're right, but the target is a minimum of 5% reserve crewing "across the fleet" - that's about 150 positions. Bearing in mind that by the time they reach that point they'll have taken anyone who wants to transfer into the Reg F, that number sounds about right for augmentee/OJT/experiential training/etc for predominantly class "A" reservists. I agree with your point that anyone looking to make a lifetime career of sailing should take the offer, though.

Monsoon said:
I think you're right, but the target is a minimum of 5% reserve crewing "across the fleet" - that's about 150 positions. Bearing in mind that by the time they reach that point they'll have taken anyone who wants to transfer into the Reg F, that number sounds about right for augmentee/OJT/experiential training/etc for predominantly class "A" reservists. I agree with your point that anyone looking to make a lifetime career of sailing should take the offer, though.

The message says "WITH RESERVE PERSONNEL AUGMENTING AT A LEVEL ACROSS THE ENTIRE RCN SURFACE FLEET AT A
MINIMUM OF FIVE PERCENT PER UNIT". Now that being said more than 5% is probably going to be utilized as the NRD's do have a fairly large number of qualified personnel and they would be short-sighted not to utilize that.
At this time it does appear that long term personnel like myself will be employed to meet pension goals. I have already been contacted about a CT, however unless its something I want to take i'll continue with Class B/C  as I'm 3 yrs away from 25 yrs full time. With the state of manning pan RCN it is my opinion that if anyone reservist wants a job on a ship and they can fill that job they should be allowed to do so seamlessly transiting from part time to full time and vice versa.

Back