• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is the Canadian Naval Reserve all but finished?

This, of course, is all depending on people actually wanting to roll into the Reg Force as members of the RCN in their current trades.

Halifax Tar said:
This, of course, is all depending on people actually wanting to roll into the Reg Force as members of the RCN in their current trades.

From what I have being seeing less than 50% are taking it as many are only doing to make money from school etc. The actual full time hard core reservist numbers are fairly small. I'm one of the last Kingston Class Chief Engineer qualified reservists down here and fulfilling a billet where there is no one with the experience required to effectively do it. That will change of course in a few years when we have more trained personnel.

Chief Stoker said:
From what I have being seeing less than 50% are taking it as many are only doing to make money from school etc. The actual full time hard core reservist numbers are fairly small. I'm one of the last Kingston Class Chief Engineer qualified reservists down here and fulfilling a billet where there is no one with the experience required to effectively do it. That will change of course in a few years when we have more trained personnel.

Its tough.  I was a Naval Reservist.  Lots of great folks, many will CT but many of those who CT are looking to go into other trades. 

Halifax Tar said:
Its tough.  I was a Naval Reservist.  Lots of great folks, many will CT but many of those who CT are looking to go into other trades.

The special CT offer is direct rank transfer to the same trade. If someone wants to go reg to another trade then its the normal wait, and rank most likely will be LS at best.

Chief Stoker said:
The special CT offer is direct rank transfer to the same trade. If someone wants to go reg to another trade then its the normal wait, and rank most likely will be LS at best.

Not arguing, just saying that many will CT to the reg force but off to other trades.  We get lots in Supply and I know the RCAF tech trades get a good number too.

The same rank thing does irk me though.  That should have been based on individuals and their experience they have, not a carte blanche approach.

Halifax Tar said:
Not arguing, just saying that many will CT to the reg force but off to other trades.  We get lots in Supply and I know the RCAF tech trades get a good number too.

The same rank thing does irk me though.  That should have been based on individuals and their experience they have, not a carte blanche approach.

Understood, I was just commenting on the special CT offer for Class C personnel to the same trade. Obviously over the years through the regular CT process many went to the air force and other trades as the RCN didn't recognize the experience of the sailors and no decent PLAR's. That is somewhat changed now with better offers based on experience.

Back