• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is Remembrance Day dead?

As a teacher, I'm sort of torn. I can still remember the days when it was a holiday for schools here in Ontario. Then they decided that it would be more relevant if the kids were in school so they could (would?) participate in services. So here's the catch: if it was a holiday, I think more kids would realize the significance. However, based on my experience, most would not rush out to the local cenotaph. Catch 22?

11 November, 1997.  I was a student at the University of Western Ontario, some four years before the terror attacks on the US.  Bill Clinton was president, and Jean Chretien was PM.  We were quite involved in Bosnia (pretty low-key by then) and yours truly had classes he had to attend (exams were coming up and I couldn't afford to miss anything).  So, my friends and I go out for a smoke between classes.  Middlesex Tower chimes 11, and something very odd happened.  The rush of students going by suddenly stopped as though it were willed by a mystical force.  EVERYONE was standing silent, heads bowed, if ever so slightly.  This lasted about two minutes.  Then, as though nothing happened, conversations picked up and everyone went on their way.  That, to me, was Remembrance Day.  Not the Pomp.  Not the Circumstance.  It was simply the "pittance of time", and it left me speechless.  Probably, for me, the most memorable Remembrance Day ever. 

Hammond said:
Seems like everyone and their dog has one in Charlottetown, PEI   :cdn: I felt like I was the only one without one when my seat belt claimed the pin from jacket prior to heading to the Confed Center

PEI has historically had a very good turn out for Remembrance Day with lots of Poppies to be seen everywhere as well. Its good to hear this is still the norm. I usually try to go to Charlottetown for it but for the last three years have either been deployed or working. I dont know about now but a few years ago Remembrance Day was almost like the New Year's Levee with all of the visiting, stories and a refreshment or two along the way.

Activists propose poppy redesign with peace sign
EDMONTON -- Michael Kalmanovitch might not be allowed to sell white poppies this Remembrance Day, but that hasn't stopped him from keeping the message of the controversial flower alive.
According to peace activists, the accessory was an option for Canadians who didn't want to glorify war but still felt compelled to honour those who have died in combat. It was also meant to remember civilian casualties.
Veterans, however, saw it as a symbol of disrespect. As a result, the Royal Canadian Legion took legal action to end the sale of the flowers saying they infringed on copyright of the red version.
Although Kalmanovitch had to stop selling the poppies -- which originated in England in 1933 -- in 2006, he has come up with a compromise: remove the black centre of red poppies and replace them with tiny peace signs.
"A lot of people see the red poppy as something that glorifies war," he said.
The demand for a poppy that sends a dual message remains high, he added.
When he was able to sell the white flowers from Earth's General Store, his shop in Edmonton, he went through about 800.
This year he got e-mails from people in British Columbia and Manitoba wondering if he would have them available for this Nov. 11.
Instead, peaceniks are encouraged to tromp up the stairs to his store and use the supplies on his front counter for free to create the poppy peace signs.
"We're not selling anything," he said. "But you can do your own poppy if you like.
Well, there you go.  Our vets were all war-mongers.  Can you imagine? ::)

Here in Edmonton almost everyone is wearing a poppy.  It is very good to see.
As a little kid growing up in many small towns in BC, I remember ALWAYS going to the Remembrance Day ceremonies, standing up to my knees in snow looking at all the vets with their huge rack of medals.  Even though I was not from a military family, my parents always made sure we knew what it was about.
As a parent, I would take my young babies dressed up in their snowsuits and pushing the stroller through the snow.  Once they hit school, I would be one of the only parents I knew that would take them out of school for this special day.  While in Toronto their school spent a lot of time on it and my husband was always asked to come and speak, as he was the only soldier/parent in the school.
Now, we are in AB, and they are asking me which cenotaph we are going to tomorrow.
I cannot control others around me, but no one in my family will forget.  That is a promise!!!  :cdn:

My daughter (who is 6) learned about poppies in her class lastweek. She is in a special needs class, so I would imagine the normal classes are learning about it too. I asked her why we wore a poppy and she told me "So we don't forget who we are." I don't know if that is actually what she was told, sometimes she doesn't hoist everything in.

I'm also going to a local public school tomorrow to give a speech on rememberance as part of the school's Rememberance Day ceremony.

Scene: Friday night outside a Kingston store. Two young Army Cadets with poppy trays.

Young PWOR Cadet Cpl recognizes former Lt (Navy League), who also happens to be retired Reg Force (MCpl I think), from when Cadet Cpl was a Navy League CPO2. Former Lt (NL) is not wearing a poppy, nor is the lady (spouse?) with him. Cadet Cpl approaches him and says "Sir, would you like a poppy?"

Former Lt (NL) says, in no uncertain terms, "Get out of my face, you are nothing but a liar!!" and continues to berate Cadet Cpl while walking away.

True story.

I submit that the apathy is not only shown by todays youth. When this was related to me by my son (the Cadet Cpl) I was astonished. Then I thought back to the way that the "gentleman" (I use the term very loosely so as not to insult an gentlemen that may frequent these boards) was when I first met him a few years ago and what I had heard about him afterwards, I was not suprised as to his attitude. What I felt repulsed about was that he had worn the same uniform that I currently wear.

My family and I were invited to participate in a Remembrance Day ceremony at the high school our son graduated from. Each student and teacher that had a relative that was in the CF whether in peacetime or wartime, stood up, stated the name of the person and pinned a yellow ribbon on the map where their relatives served. It was very moving and a wonderful tribute to those who have paid the price for our freedom.
Remembrance Day in Winnipeg has not been forgotten. It's slowly becoming "fashionable" again. It should never be "unfashionable" nor "Incorrect" to remember the sacrifice that over 100,000 people made.

I was in Vancouver for the weekend and was actually surprised at the number of people I saw wearing poppies, particularly young people. I suppose it depends where you are and how hard you look, but my sense is the tradition is alive and well. God bless to all our veterans on Remembrance Day and thank you for your service.

Last year I brought my niece (then 5) to one of the ceremonies.  She asked lots of questions as 5 yr olds are apt to do.  Unfortunately I'm out of town and can't bring her so I'm hoping that my parents do in my stead.  She does have school, and I'm sure the school will be doing something, but I'd much rather get the impression that this is so much more than another school assembly.

As for the Quebec situations, don't lose hope.  If the requests for flypast support of Griffons in and around Quebec City are any indication, there are more than a few ceremonies.  In fact, some of the requests were for parades over the weekend so that more people could attend, as well as giving people a chance to attend more than one.  Last year, 430 Sqn flew for 4 parades in the morning (one right after the other) and another in the afternoon on 11 Nov.  Requests for support for 11 Nov out of Quebec far outweighed any other province.

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

View from a southwestern Ontario campus:

I was pleasantly surprised (actually I'm in a state of  :eek:) to see that at work yesterday (a building that had 8000 visitors) more students were wearing poppies than students who were not. I had 7 students approach me to discover where they could buy poppies on campus.

This observable data indicates to me that the activists are few and only remarkable because they make the most noise in the most public of places--where they know they will garner media attention.
They have never " twigged on" to the idea that intelligent letter-writing/discourse is a much more effective way to effect change or make a valid point.

U of G Remembrance Day Activities:

A bugler wil be in Branion Plaza tomorrow at 11:00 am near "Old Jeremiah," the infamous pre-WW1 cannon.
A service will take place at War Memorial Hall to commence  at 10:30 am.

The president encourages all professors, teachers, department heads and managers to grant everyone leave to attend ...

Edit: spelling

my daughter was told by her teacher in primary school that she could not wear a poppy. ok i admit it she`s 7 and the pin might be dangerous but i didn`t think it was a good call on the schools behalf. oh yeah and it was in montreal

leroi said:
View from a southwestern Ontario campus:

I was pleasantly surprised (actually I'm in a state of  :eek:) to see that at work yesterday (a building that had 8000 visitors) more students were wearing poppies than students who were not. I had 7 students approach me to discover where they could buy poppies on campus.

This observable data indicates to me that the activists are few and only remarkable because they make the most noise in the most public of places--where they know they will garner media attention.
They have never " twigged on" to the idea that intelligent letter-writing/discourse is a much more effective way to effect change or make a valid point.

U of G Remembrance Day Activities:

A bugler wil be in Branion Plaza tomorrow at 11:00 am near "Old Jeremiah," the infamous pre-WW1 cannon.
A service will take place at War Memorial Hall to commence  at 10:30 am.

The president encourages all professors, teachers, department heads and managers to grant everyone leave to attend ...

Edit: spelling

And, believe it or not, the U of G's ceremony is actually pretty good (although leans a little heavy on the 'let there be peace' aspect), despite being poorly attended. I went last year because the school had the ceremony on the 9th (Friday) and then the city one was on the 11th (Sunday).

I've heard horror stories about other school's treatment of Nov 11th *cough* York *cough*, so I was impressed last year with U of G.

Piper said:
And, believe it or not, the U of G's ceremony is actually pretty good (although leans a little heavy on the 'let there be peace' aspect), despite being poorly attended. I went last year because the school had the ceremony on the 9th (Friday) and then the city one was on the 11th (Sunday).

I've heard horror stories about other school's treatment of Nov 11th *cough* York *cough*, so I was impressed last year with U of G.

Yes, I agree with you on that.

I'm torn this year because I want to go to the City ceremony and the U of G's. The times overlap a bit but since I took the day off work I should be able to catch some of the city parade and attend the university ceremony too. (Too bad the two events could not somehow be merged into one.)

leroi said:
Yes, I agree with you on that.

I'm torn this year because I want to go to the City ceremony and the U of G's. The times overlap a bit but since I took the day off work I should be able to catch some of the city parade and attend the university ceremony too. (Too bad the two events could not somehow be merged into one.)

You can only attend one, the school one and city one will run past 1100. I suggest the city one, it's better.

IanAlexander said:
My daughter (who is 6) learned about poppies in her class lastweek. She is in a special needs class, so I would imagine the normal classes are learning about it too. I asked her why we wore a poppy and she told me "So we don't forget who we are."

I agree with her, Veterans and the way they fought for our freedom and for everything we have/are today are a huge part of who we are. As individuals and as a nation. Unfortunatly most people my age do not realise that and I forsee that becoming a big problem in the future. My generation is too greedy/selfish to spend some time honouring those who helped build the foundation of this country{and much more}. You can't really know who you are until you know where you came from.  To all the Veterans out there  :salute:

Steve

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
11 November, 1997.  I was a student at the University of Western Ontario, some four years before the terror attacks on the US.  Bill Clinton was president, and Jean Chretien was PM.  We were quite involved in Bosnia (pretty low-key by then) and yours truly had classes he had to attend (exams were coming up and I couldn't afford to miss anything).  So, my friends and I go out for a smoke between classes.  Middlesex Tower chimes 11, and something very odd happened.  The rush of students going by suddenly stopped as though it were willed by a mystical force.  EVERYONE was standing silent, heads bowed, if ever so slightly.  This lasted about two minutes.  Then, as though nothing happened, conversations picked up and everyone went on their way.  That, to me, was Remembrance Day.  Not the Pomp.  Not the Circumstance.  It was simply the "pittance of time", and it left me speechless.  Probably, for me, the most memorable Remembrance Day ever. 

Whoa very cool story. I doubt I'll be back from Victoria Park in time, but I'll ask friends who were on campus to see if things are still the same at UWO. I've been relatively impressed with the number of poppies on campus so far, and they ran a reasonably nice service in the University Community Centre last year.

Remembrance Day is alive and well in the school I teach at.  There are art lessons and writing assignments going on in most of the classrooms, Remembrance Day themed books on display in the library, and a ceremony scheduled for tomorrow morning.  All students and staff will receive a poppy, and the younger and special needs students will receive a poppy sticker.  We will also be bussing our 150 grade 7 and 8 students to the cenetaph for the ceremony there.  :cdnsalute:

Back