• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is Remembrance Day dead?

Eye In The Sky said:
Whats with this Happy Remembrance Day stuff?  I've never heard of it before today.  Its not friggin New Years Eve.  To me, its like saying "congratulations" to the family of the deceased at a funeral, *in bad taste*.  Is it just me?

Alright. My mistake. Have a peaceful Remembrance Day. I only meant well.  :salute:

Judging by CD's posting style he meant well,......just some bad wording.

That subject is closed.
Bruce

Judging by the incredible attendance at the Beausejours Remembrance Day Service at the Legion I will not accept the argument that Remembrance Day is dead. For a small town of possibly several thousand people maximum the service held close to 1000 people and included participation by the local school orchestra, the local air cadet squadron and many of the local businesses. I can't speak for the large metropolitan areas but here in rural Manitoba Remembrance Day is alive and Remembered.

B0nes said:
I've heard some people complaining that stores like wal-mart don't really care. Apperntly a lot of stores where putting out x-mas decorations and what not as soon as november hit.
It's been like that forever. Christmas decorations sometimes out in August at some big box stores. Too me it is if they make an annoucement for a Moment of Silence over the pa system that is the important thing and allow employees to wear a Poppy!!!! We went to Timmy's after the ceremony and all staff had on Poppy's and there was a nice visiual of WWII and Present Serving memebers with a reminder to wear a Poppy. I do see more stores making an effort.

Eye In The Sky said:
Whats with this Happy Remembrance Day stuff?  I've never heard of it before today.  Its not friggin New Years Eve.  To me, its like saying "congratulations" to the family of the deceased at a funeral, *in bad taste*.  Is it just me?
Nope not just you. It's not just a day off or supposeed to be a "Happy" day. It is nice to see Vets having a good time at the Legion talking and hoisting a few but they went through Hell and Back!!!

I am just getting back from my Remembrance Day and can say honestly that " Remembrance Day is not dead". I was part of the Air Guard who marched with others to the National War Memorial. The road leading up to the monument was layered in Canadians paying respects.  We haulted and took our place, minutes later you could hear the crowd start to clap and cheer, our Legion members were approaching. It will only die if we let it die. I was very proud to stand there amongst others who have witnessed sacrifice, honour and courage.

After being released I went to the WO&Sgt's mess and introduced myself to Jim Gunn a Korean War Vet and we chatted for a couple of hours. Jim was a private with the Royal Canadian Regiment and spent 1 year in Korea, we chatted about the past and present. We shared a few drinks together and then went our separate ways.

To Jim and all the others I pledge to make sure Remembrace Day never dies.

Was at the Montreal ceremony at "Place du Canada" (abutting Domonion Square).
At 1st, was concerned... the people setting up for the Eastern division finals + Grey Cup have set up a number of tents, shelters & whatnot... it didn't interfere with the ceremony (coulda used the shelters 2 yrs ago when it poured cats & dogs).
A good turnout - included a large delegation from some local high schools - they were mesmerized by the whole thing

Nope - not dead

I wondered the same thins myself lately.......

I attended the ceremony at ANAV 283 in Winnipeg today. All seats were filled and there was a large number of people standing in the room.

All is well that ends well....... :salute:

CDN Aviator said:
I wondered the same thins myself lately.......

I attended the ceremony at ANAV 283 in Winnipeg today. All seats were filled and there was a large number of people standing in the room.

All is well that ends well....... :salute:

That was an interesting spot to try and find a spot to stand or sit when you have a child and a stroller. Ended up taking the stroller out to the car in the end.

They definitely had a good turn out though.

The day here in Winnipeg was good. We went to Cpl Mike Seggie's grave for the ceremony. We then went to Minto Armories for a few, then the St. James Number 4 Legion. When that closed, we went to Dylan O'Connors pub.

A good time was had by all!! :salute:

Despite the cold weather and rain, classic November weather in Vancouver, the turnout at the Victory Square cenotaph was pretty big. Basically the whole park was filled with people. Also, while working in the downtown area, I noticed a majority of people were wearing poppies - there were a lot of older vets on the street corners so they had the area nicely covered.

We watched the march pass after the ceremony, and it was a little weird that walking just one block south of Hastings St. and you wouldn't have any idea there was something going on.

I convocated from the University of Toronto on Remembrance Day and a good number of the students, myself included, were wearing poppies during the convocation on our robes. Around Toronto, I'd have to say that most people I saw were wearing poppies.  :cdn:

I am certainly convinced that Remembrance day is NOT dead. I attended the ceremony at my daughter's elementary school (JK to grade 6). I was the guest of honour. After watching all of the presentations; the singing of O Canada, a moment of silence and the playing of the "Last Post " and videos arranged by the teachers IE; Terry Kelly's "A pittance of time" , then a video tribute to the fallen from Afghanistan.
After all of this they expected me to give a short speech.To say I was moved by the amount of effort and respect shown by not only the teachers, but  the other parents and all of the children, it would be an understatement.
As I stepped to the podium and looked upon the crowd. I see a 5 year old boy standing at attention and staring right at me. That was it for me, I choked up and then the entire gymnasium, kids, adults, etc began to cry. Needless to say it was a very short speech as I found it hard to hold my composure, I am now totally convinced that Remembrance Day is not dead.

We will remember them.

Good turnout in Thunder Bay - fair number of people at the north side cenotaph and the Mess (see attached), and I've heard a 2,000 seat arena was full for the south side ceremony (they no longer do an outdoor parade at the cenotaph because of the cold affecting the older vets).

I don't know if this is because I am getting older or what but although our ceremony was small and awkward it didn't matter. The spirit of the crowd was one of respect and remembrance of the sacrifices made past and present.
I learned that it doesn't take lots of shiny metal and large numbers to pause and reflect on what this day is about.

Interesting experience last year. I didn't have a poppy, and a friend and I had to run into Safeway for something. Inside the door in a huge, motorized wheelchair sat a Vet in uniform with his poppy box on his knee. "You're just the guy I'm looking for" says mouthy me. He chuckled, made some comment about finally all the ladies wanted him, and handed us our poppies as we dropped coins in his box. I shook his hand and said thank you to him, as did my buddy. We left him smiling. Not too much to do for a Vet. As we walked away a small line was forming behind us. Lead by example.

:cdn:
Hawk

Back