• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is it too late to reapply?

Amir_a

Inactive
Reaction score
I am going to be frank,
I am an Iranian-born Canadian citizen. I am 27 years old, I have a speech impediment, which I manage, I also have been diagnosed with red-green colourblindness.
In 2009 I applied to the Canadian Forces. I was a recent graduate of an Art university, with background in applied arts and design. At the time I did not have any “tradable” skills, being an art school graduate. With all that, my recruitment officer, allowed me to apply for the Maritime surface and sub-surface officer position. By the time, my background check cleared all the positions were filled and no other positions were available for my set of skills. Which I understand, because an art degree does not really provide me with any crucial skills.
I had to rethink my education so I put aside my pursuit of the military life. I have not been in touch with the recruitment office for over a year now.
During that time, I’ve been going to adult schools, to improve my high school transcripts. Now I have strong marks in math, physics, chemistry, english, and other courses.
This winter, I want to apply to different universities for variety of engineering programs, preferably the ones that are wanted by the Canadian Forces.
I really want to join the Canadian Forces. My father used to serve in the military back in Iran, under Shah’s government, before the revolution. I really want to be able to serve Canada.
I have a dilemma now. 3 years ago, when I first applied, I did not have a useful set of skills, pretty weak in math, I did not do well in the CFAT and therefore I really had my hands tied regarding different positions. But now I have a changed attitude, and an improved education.
I’m not sure if I’m always going to be looked at by the recruitment officers as the guy that I was three years ago. I do know the military life style is for me.
I need your guys’ advice, on how to approach this.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Amir_a said:
I am going to be frank,
I am an Iranian-born Canadian citizen. I am 27 years old, I have a speech impediment, which I manage, I also have been diagnosed with red-green colourblindness.
In 2009 I applied to the Canadian Forces. I was a recent graduate of an Art university, with background in applied arts and design. At the time I did not have any “tradable” skills, being an art school graduate. With all that, my recruitment officer, allowed me to apply for the Maritime surface and sub-surface officer position. By the time, my background check cleared all the positions were filled and no other positions were available for my set of skills. Which I understand, because an art degree does not really provide me with any crucial skills.
I had to rethink my education so I put aside my pursuit of the military life. I have not been in touch with the recruitment office for over a year now.
During that time, I’ve been going to adult schools, to improve my high school transcripts. Now I have strong marks in math, physics, chemistry, english, and other courses.
This winter, I want to apply to different universities for variety of engineering programs, preferably the ones that are wanted by the Canadian Forces.
I really want to join the Canadian Forces. My father used to serve in the military back in Iran, under Shah’s government, before the revolution. I really want to be able to serve Canada.
I have a dilemma now. 3 years ago, when I first applied, I did not have a useful set of skills, pretty weak in math, I did not do well in the CFAT and therefore I really had my hands tied regarding different positions. But now I have a changed attitude, and an improved education.
I’m not sure if I’m always going to be looked at by the recruitment officers as the guy that I was three years ago. I do know the military life style is for me.
I need your guys’ advice, on how to approach this.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Perhaps join the reserves and see if the military really is for you. Other then that, you can join a variety of other Officer positions with your arts degree - specifically the combat arms. However, I am not sure if your speech impediment or colourblindness will allow this [allow I am no MD].
Point is, you don't need to do another degree if you don't want to...and engineering degrees are probably the hardest in terms of undergraduate programs, so make sure it is something you really want. You say the CF wants people with engineering degrees right now, and while that may or may not be true, by the time you're done in about 5 years those positions could be full.

By all means apply if you want too.  It is not a problem if you have applied in the past and want to apply again.  There are not a lot of positions that are open right now so you may want to go in knowing that a lot of the options may not be there.

The CF will always need engineers.  If you want to get an engineering degree then you should get it, there are even programs with the CF that will pay for your schooling.

Back