• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is Combat Engineer right for me??

Springroll

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Well I have been battling this one for quite some time, trying to see if combat engineer is right for me(wow, that rhymes!)

Anyways, I went to a house across the street from me when they were having a yard sale and officially introduced my self and found out that the husband is an ex Combat Engineer from Edmonton(just got out 4 mths ago). My hubby and I went over there last night bearing gifts of beer and muffins and ended up staying there until past midnight chatting about the life.

Anyways, back onto topic. He said that engineers are the hardest workers out of the entire CF and I should be prepared to be working out all the time. Now hard work does not scare me, but what am I seriously looking at? Chin-ups and push ups for my entire career? Am I setting myself up for failure by picking such a tough trade? What can I do to be better prepared for the life of an engineer??

Now I need some serious answers here. I am prepared to work hard, but I really need to know what I can do now that will better prepare me for the life of an engineer.

Springroll,

I think a few of us Current and former combat engineers, told you you should be fine

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33142.0.html

Good point...I hate it when I start to doubt myself....

Guess I need to go do something to take my mind off of it....

time to jack up the car!!

Have to work on the brakes anyways  ;) ;D

Springroll said:
Good point...I hate it when I start to doubt myself....

Guess I need to go do something to take my mind off of it....

time to jack up the car!!

Have to work on the brakes anyways   ;) ;D

The gym might be a good place too.....take some frustrations out and benefit in the end....just a tought

Hey there,

Have you considered being a vehicle technican? I know you seem comfortable working on vehicles....Engineer will find you doing alot of the same if you are a section driver or somthing and even if youre not as well youll still be helping out around the amoured vehicle...on top of that is more of that hard work 24/7 you heard about so far :)

LurkingKuna said:
Hey there,

Have you considered being a vehicle technican? I know you seem comfortable working on vehicles....Engineer will find you doing alot of the same if you are a section driver or somthing and even if youre not as well youll still be helping out around the amoured vehicle...on top of that is more of that hard work 24/7 you heard about so far :)

I have thought about it....but with the type of person I am, I like things to be ever changing. Thats why I would never make a good clerk  ;D
My best friend Danielle is in Petawawa and if my memory serves me correctly she wanted to go Vehicle tech but got stuck doing something else...and has been disappointed ever since.

I am the type of person that loves to do all kinds of things. We just finished remodeling our basement bathroom, replaced a broken sway bar on my van, and now we have the brakes on hubby's care to work on. I also like to garden, cook, sew,

I am like a Jane of all trades!!

I am all up for going to the gym...if I could find someone to go with it would be more fun!

The fact that the Engineers are the hardest working is what attracts me to the trade. Go hard or go home!

I quote Holden Caulfield from Catcher In The Rye...

"How do you know you're going to do something until you do it... the answer is, you don't"

Cheers

Patrick H. said:
The fact that the Engineers are the hardest working is what attracts me to the trade. Go hard or go home!

I quote Holden Caulfield from Catcher In The Rye...

"How do you know you're going to do something until you do it... the answer is, you don't"

Cheers

Thank you for that!!!

I guess I am ready to test myself then. I have done alot of hard things in my life, and I would like to add some more to my "life resume"....

No regrets!!

Best of luck and don't let anythin stop ya!

I've had a few years to reflect and am 99% sure this is the path I'll be following...

Cheers

Patrick H. said:
Best of luck and don't let anythin stop ya!

I've had a few years to reflect and am 99% sure this is the path I'll be following...

Cheers

Too bad you weren't closer..it would be great to meet some other people that are local to me who are also going Combat Engineer....some other people to help keep me motivated!!

Well if ya ever need some extra motivation then send me a PM...... I've been through the recruiting process a few times, have read through countless trade information packages, and had a few years to reflect on what I want to be and is becoming clearer as I come back to this site again and again...  043 to the max!

Cheers

The muddy old eignieer.
You can become a mechanic - but mechanics pretty much work on their own
you can become a sapper - sappers pretty much always work as part of a team

If you talk to any infanteer or tanker coming back from deployment in Afghanistan they will all tell you that they couldn't have done it without the Engineers.

New doctrine has resulted in our deploying combat teams and groups that are made up of Infanteers, Tankers, some guns and the muddy old engineer... Now that the infantry has dispensed with the Pioneer; they've come to see and understand the versatility and expertise the Sapper has in his Noggin!

"First in, Last out...." The sappers work is never done - but it is Oh so satisfying AND the camaraderie within the branch is without compare.

Can you meet the challenge?

Just been selected for 043 Combat Engineer. Just waiting for the official call. Can't wait, as I am getting a step closer to becoming that "Muddy Old Sapper".

Dakota said:
Just been selected for 043 Combat Engineer. Just waiting for the official call. Can't wait, as I am getting a step closer to becoming that "Muddy Old Sapper".

and I am looking forward to joining you!! ;D

geo said:
The muddy old eignieer.
You can become a mechanic - but mechanics pretty much work on their own
you can become a sapper - sappers pretty much always work as part of a team

If you talk to any infanteer or tanker coming back from deployment in Afghanistan they will all tell you that they couldn't have done it without the Engineers.

New doctrine has resulted in our deploying combat teams and groups that are made up of Infanteers, Tankers, some guns and the muddy old engineer... Now that the infantry has dispensed with the Pioneer; they've come to see and understand the versatility and expertise the Sapper has in his Noggin!

"First in, Last out...." The sappers work is never done - but it is Oh so satisfying AND the camaraderie within the branch is without compare.

Can you meet the challenge?

So right,especialy when you have completed what seemed a impossible task.
Yet we don't brag about our daring do in public;only amongst our selves.
Yes we are a modest lot.Not! ;) ;D

Dakota said:
You mean " Muddy Old Engineer"  ;)

To all wannabees: Come on in!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Sappers!!!!!

18yrs and counting here.............joined when I was 17 will retire when I am 52........all of them as a Sapper! Whoever invented the word teamwork didn't know that he was talking specifically about Engineers. Unless you have lived it you will never understand...........and yes, we dont brag about our exploits..............we don't have to!!!!

When we become engineers we don't end up like THIS do we?!?!

AngryBeaver2.gif

:warstory:

Hey Spr.Earl:
I stand corrected.  :) Just looking forward to be able to walk in all your shoes.  :salute:  ;D

:cdn: Go Engineers  :cdn:

Patrick.... that looks more like a vandoos than a Sapper ;)

Back