• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is bmq now 14 weeks?

jarko

Inactive
Reaction score
Was wondering if bmq is 14 weeks now? Which has sq included in bmq

Most pers are coming here to good old Gagtown to do their SQ after completion of the BMQ. :blotto:

I received dates of 09 Jan 2006 - 24 Mar 2006, that's 11 weeks, I have no idea what the extra 3 weeks are though.

No, basic is 11 weeks.   The only exception to that are two test platoons that are on a 13 week course that started a few weeks ago.

jarko said:
Was wondering if bmq is 14 weeks now? Which has sq included in bmq

Mine was ten, and my SQ was seven. I did BMQ in St. Jean (0316A), and SQ (0307) in good ol' Gagtown, er, I mean, Gagetown. ;) We were the first seven-week SQ - previously, the courses were 13. Basically, all they did was take out rocket launchers. Bummer. Then they re-introduced them for the 10-week SQ version. They're always changing the courses, though.

SQ is run at Gagetown, Meaford, Wainwright, Shilo and I would assume at Valcartier aswell.

Wondering about the SQ.  Is it immediately after basic, and how long for?? Also is it likely that their sq will be where they are posted??? I'm a GF of someone at basic in borden, and just hoping to get filled in. Thanks, Niki

Borden is a recruit school, CFLRS det Borden does not teach SQ's, where recruits go for their SQ could be anywhere as stated in earlier posts.
BMQ is 11 weeks long, with a veiw to movin it up to 13 weeks.  Within the next few months all basics will be 13 weeks long, the 11 week course is a stop gap to fill the hole until 13 BMQ takes over.

missNickers said:
Wondering about the SQ.  Is it immediately after basic, and how long for?? Also is it likely that their sq will be where they are posted??? I'm a GF of someone at basic in borden, and just hoping to get filled in. Thanks, Niki

I went three months after arriving at Borden, but I don't know much about what the story is today - a lot of changes are being made. Last I heard, they were sending them out right away. Here in Valcartier, a few came right from St. Jean, did their SQ, and then went to Borden, while others had at least been to Borden first, though for how long, I don't know - the conversation was rather brief.

my sq was 7 weeks long.. I did it in wainwright, ab. it was fun.. but ya i spent alot of time in borden. the problem is.. its all bout time for courses.. sometimes they get loaded right away. other times they dont. .its a hit or miss sorta thing really.. sometimes its perfect sometimes you wait around forever.. like i did:p
cant complain though. got some good training in borden, and made a bit of cash too

Some people have been saying that the next few groups going through BMQ are 14 weeks.... My husbands dates are Oct.31-Feb.03 but there is a reason it is 14 weeks... 3 weeks off at Christmas... I think people are forgetting this and getting worked up... JMHO :)

I have conversed with my old platoon warrant who is on the standards committee for the BMQ course and in conversing with him this is what I have come to conclude:

This fall is a pilot course of 13 weeks...
After these few trial runs are completed a further decision will be made pertaining to whether to change back or if this format is better. 
Anyone familiar with the IAP/BOTP training program might also note that this was done with that program a few years back when IAP and BOTP began to run in different summers. There is also a new pilot course coming out for IAP which will be around 14 weeks, with more infantry and troop command training (i.e. section attacks, defensives)...  With this new course the proposition is that CAP (Common Army Phase) will be no more. 
Personally I feel that the CAP course is good in that it reduces the number of *sacks* in the military, however I guess a long IAP course could also accomplish this and perhaps to more of an effect being a longer course than that of the six week CAP course.
:cdn:

Ok so just wondering would there be much of a difference from the 11 week course and the 13 week one or would it be the same only alittle more spaced out Ie. more free time or something?

Kyle.

Ha ha time off!  So much to learn young grasshopper.

But seriously Chopper, in lamen's terms (because that's all I know  ;D) - courses are sometimes revamped, changed for content, etc. etc. after recommendations by instructors or perhaps standards (who oversee the trainers' training).  Quite often new things will be added or maybe old things will be changed.  With this comes a change of timings and in turn - you end up with a course that either gets shortened or lengthened.  But I highly doubt that a course will ever be changed so that things are a little more spaced out or the troops get more free time.  If only that were so.

Seems that BMQ gets hit with this the most.  I remember when mine was only 8 weeks long.  It went to 10 shortly thereafter.  Sorry guys.  Much has changed in the past few years.

Good luck!

Bin

lol... More time off?... hahaha... If anything just less I think I may have touched on it in my last post."There is also a new pilot course coming out for IAP which will be around 14 weeks, with more infantry and troop command training (i.e. section attacks, defensives)...  With this new course the proposition is that CAP (Common Army Phase) will be no more."
Personally I feel that the CAP course is good in that it reduces the number of *sacks* in the military, however I guess a long IAP course could also accomplish this and perhaps to more of an effect being a longer course than that of the six week CAP course.
:cdn:

ChopperHead said:
Ok so just wondering would there be much of a difference from the 11 week course and the 13 week one or would it be the same only alittle more spaced out Ie. more free time or something?

More free time, that's funny! Seriously, they wouldn't add an extra two weeks if there wasn't something to fill them up.

apparently, according to my boyfriend (who is in week 11 at the moment)  they were trying out a 14 week course in 2007... in 2008 they will make the deicisio to keep it 14 weeks, or return it to the normal.. 10 i think it is

Back