• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is anyone going to Reserve Communications BMQ/SQ this summer?

amyliak

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else is going to Shiloh this summer for Comm. Res. BMQ/SQ. It looks like I'll be going to the second session (July-August) though there is still a possibility I'll go in May.

I can't wait and it would be awesome to hook up via email orin person with someone else from Ottawa area.

Cheers.

Greetings. I thought I'd drop you a note and say hello. Although I am not from Ottawa but rather Manitoba, it is nice to see people with similar choices around. My first choice was Infantry and second was Signals but as time goes on, I find myself leaning more towards that second choice. Hopefully I can join you and your colleagues at Shilo this summer. I had a visual condition to contend with first and now that the requirements have been dealt with (via PRK), I remain hopeful that I can get a call to begin my training this summer. I am had the surgery on 9-March and the Cdn Forces wants a three month window to elapse apparently before proceeding, so June 9 is when the rest of the recruitment process can proceed. I do not know how quickly or slowly the Forces moves on these matters but I have adopted a "wait and see" approach: I guess at the end of the day, I have done all that I can do at this point and continue to prepare myself physically for what will be an otherwise challenging and exciting summer. I REALLY hope to see you and others there this summer.

heh phantom,

Good luck with your vision hurdle, hopefully the issue can be sorted quickly. Are you entering as a Sig Op or another trade? I have recieved my offer as Comm. Res. Op. and am looking forward to rolling around in the muck this summer. After I receive my MOC next summer in Kingston my muck days will be limited, I'll pretty much be sequestered to a dark basement monitoring equipment.

I would be great to see you this summer, and if nor this tear then I'm sure we'll cross paths in the future. Communications and signals is a fairly small division though its expanding rapidly right now.

Have you completed CFAT and PT tests yet?

Cheers,
Amy

looking forward to rolling around in the muck this summer

Agreed! I go to basic this summer...MOC - infantry. Either that or possibly combat engineer..Haven't fully decided...I'll be in borden, too bad eh? I want to meet some people before I go away so I'm not walking through camp with a blind eye as to who to make friends with...I did, however, meet a few people at cfrc hamilton when I went to write cfat...But they're all going to meaford and quebec so  all I could do was wish them luck.

Even if I don't meet anyone before I go away, it's always a good lesson to learn things on your own [ie. making friends, sorting yourself out without the aid of another, conquering the fears of constantly having a surrogate "mother" yelling at you]. All in all, I think I'll have a blast this summer.

Good luck to the both of you!

Hi.

Whether or not I get to go this summer is yet to be determined.  I went last summer, but got a medical RTU for compartment sydrome in my legs, and I'm still not quite 100%.  I had been hoping to go on the 28 Apr serial, but that isn't going to happen. 
Comm Rsch, whoo hoo!  That's my trade too, at my unit (772 EW Sqn, Kingston) that's the specialty, so pretty much all new recruits are Comm Rsch. 
So I may not meet you in Shilo, but you will likely meet someone else from my unit, since we have at least a handful going.

Rose79

Hopefully for you, you get on the first course and they got rid of T100. A very creepy place, especially with fire picket duty every few nights.

You can still see old kids' hand prints on the walls... one guy due to lack of sleep and some meds saw a ghost in one of the wings :D
Have fun  :p

heh Sober Ruskie,

I was worried enough about the bugs, now you're telling me I have to contend with ghosts too. YIKES!!!

amyliak said:
heh Sober Ruskie,

I was worried enough about the bugs, now you're telling me I have to contend with ghosts too. YIKES!!!

You're going to Shilo....in addition to the bugs and ghosts, you'll also have to contend with some of the most messed-up wether I've ever seen.

thanks for the heads up. think there's any chance of a tsunami?

What exactly is t-100? The Master Corporal who recruited me illuded to the fact that the living quarters were less than ideal. How bad is it? Should I be packing a bug canopy or anything?

amyliak said:
thanks for the heads up. think there's any chance of a tsunami?

Pfft, in Shilo? anythings possible. Like a snowstorm in August...

In all fairness, it was the coldest summer on record when it snowed... plus you were on the range, lucky us, we were in the field :)

T-100 was a school, and then it was turned into a community center, then it turned into quarters for the Comm. Reserve. It is not horrible, it is just less than ideal.

Just a Sig Op said:
In all fairness, it was the coldest summer on record when it snowed... plus you were on the range, lucky us, we were in the field :)

;)

9r domestic said:
T-100 was a school, and then it was turned into a community center, then it turned into quarters for the Comm. Reserve. It is not horrible, it is just less than ideal.

It was a condemned building due to black mold. I dont think it can get any worse than that.

Oh, and weather. That's always fun. It was like staff had control of the weather during nav.ex. We had it change from rolling thunderstorms with hail to sun shining... at least twice daily  :eek:

I got the call so it looks like I will be going to Shiloh for reserve communications BMQ/SQ this July/August.

HA!

Enjoy Comm Res Basic in Shilo...hopefully this is the school's last year there

Greetings Amyliak: The phantom (aka dale) says hello! I spoke with a Captain at the recruiting office in Winnipeg (he is from Signals). He did not sound optimistic that the BMQ would work for me this summer. What was encouraging was the fact that I could join the unit in Winnipeg in the fall and have a number of months getting to know the "routine/expectations" as it were (dress and deportment, etc)  before heading out to do the BMQ next summer. I suppose it works out not too badly. Please keep me posted on your progress; Good luck and hope to speak with you soon.

Back