• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Iran unveils new fighter

big bad john

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2083427.php

Iran unveils new fighter

By Nasser Karimi
Associated Press

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran unveiled its first locally manufactured fighter plane Wednesday during large-scale military exercises, state-run television reported.

The report said the bomber Saegheh is similar to the American F-18 fighter plane, but “more powerful.” It also said the plane was “designed, optimized and improved by Iranian experts.”

State TV said the Iranian air force had commissioned the Saegheh plane after many test flights in the past year.

Television footage showed the airplane taking off and launching two rockets. The plane had a small cockpit and only one pilot.

“Saegheh is capable of launching both rockets and bombs,” the report said.

General Karim Ghavami, commander of Iran’s air force, told state-run television that the war games were being held “to show the trans-regional forces that we are ready to defend our country up to the latest drop of our blood.”

The Islamic republic is concerned about the U.S. military presence in neighboring Iraq and Afghanistan at a time when the international community has threatened to impose sanctions against Tehran because of its disputed nuclear program.

During the war-games, which began Aug. 19 and have been dubbed “The Blow of Zolfaghar,” Iran has test-fired short-range, surface-to-surface missiles, submarine-to-surface missiles, a new air defense system and laser bombs.

Iran’s military also test-fired a series of missiles during war games in the Persian Gulf in March and April, including a missile it claimed was undetectable by radar and could use multiple warheads to hit several targets simultaneously.

After decades of relying on foreign weapons purchases, Iran now says it is increasingly self-sufficient, claiming it annually exports more than $100 million worth of military equipment to more than 50 countries.

Since 1992, Iran has produced its own tanks, armored personnel carriers and missiles, the government said. It announced in early 2005 that it had begun producing torpedoes. The government has not said how many warplanes it will build.

Looks just like an F-5 with an extra vertical stab on the tail.

Very imaginative.

MM

medicineman said:
Looks just like an F-5 with an extra vertical stab on the tail.

Very imaginative.

MM

yup, pretty much it

Reproduced here under the auspices of the Fair Dealings provision of the Canadian Copyright Act.

Iran Upgrades Aging US-Made Jet
By VOA News
06 September 2006

State media in Tehran say Iran's military has carried out a successful test flight by a new fighter-bomber - a jet that actually is a remodeled version of an American warplane Iran acquired decades ago.

The reports say the remodeled plane, called the Thunderbolt (Saequeh, in Persian) was redesigned and upgraded using only Iranian expertise and equipment. The jet carries a locally built missile with the same name.

Iran's army chief, Ataollah Salehi, is quoted as saying the new fighter carried out a mock bombing mission Wednesday, in northwestern Iran. He added that Iran received no outside help for the project.

Televised pictures indicate the new plane is a modified F-5 fighter jet - a U.S.-made aircraft that was supplied to Iran before the Islamic revolution in 1979 that led to a break in relations between Washington and Tehran.

Iran has test-fired a series of missiles during its current land, sea and air maneuvers - a large-scale military exercise that began more than two weeks ago - on August 19.

Some information for this report was provided by AP and Reuters.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/iran/2006/iran-060906-voa02.htm

I saw it on the news at school today.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know what happened to those F-14's they were sold in the late 70's?

MM

We're in big trouble...looks like a real "terror of the skies"...There you go, found another pic on the Internet...

medicineman said:
I saw it on the news at school today.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know what happened to those F-14's they were sold in the late 70's?

MM

They still have a few I think, but mostly, they just met the end of their useful life, from shoddy maintenance due to lack of parts, since they have no trade with the US. most are no longer air worthy.

After decades of relying on foreign weapons purchases, Iran now says it is increasingly self-sufficient, claiming it annually exports more than $100 million worth of military equipment to more than 50 countries.
[\quote]

exports to Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria & Lebanon........

Gives the American Flyboys something to shoot down when they go in there to bomb the Nuke plants. ;D

Doubt it..... some other country is bound to drop in for a visit before the US would..... IMHO

Good article discussing this aircraft and other Iranian defense developments.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/2006/09/irans-new-saegheh-fighter-enters-service/index.php

tomahawk6 said:
Good article discussing this aircraft and other Iranian defense developments.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/2006/09/irans-new-saegheh-fighter-enters-service/index.php

Sorry to disagree Tomahawk. Lousy article (at least on the subject of the Shafagh "stealth fighter".

DID waxes on about the difficulties of developing "indigeous" aircraft designs. But, the image shown is a four-year old mock-up based on the MiG I-2000 Light Tactical Fighter.

Same for the twaddle about the "'stealth' flying boat". I guess Joe Katzman has never heard of Alexander Lippisch!

rz350 said:
They still have a few I think, but mostly, they just met the end of their useful life, from shoddy maintenance due to lack of parts, since they have no trade with the US. most are no longer air worthy.

I love it when someone speaks out of their rear end.......

In recent years the Iranian AF has cycled all its remaining F-14s through overhaul and upgrade projects at Iranian Aircraft Industries in Mehrabad.  Their structures have basicaly been replaced or reinforced and new avionic systems, wirring, comunications equipment and cooling systems have been added to the original airframes. These aircraft are now as close to "zero hours" as possible. As of 1999 (only 7 years ago) the Iranian AF had 29 Tomcats in active service and 28 in storage, waiting for upgrades.  After years of struggling with supporting the AIM-54 Pheonix missles, Iran ha been able to reverse-engineer the weapon and successfuly launch it 2 years ago.  As of 2005, the Iranian AF had 30 new missles in its inventory and low-rate production has continued since.  Back in 2003, a USAF AWACS aircraft tracked the movements of a single formation of no less than 16 Iranian F-14s.  Intelligence reports in the US have reliably assesed the number of F-14s in active service in Iran to be, in 2006 ,a total of 44 in operational condition.

You are wrong on all counts.

have a nice day

( conflicting information exists out there of course, globalsecurity.org paints a different picture.  I take my information from open source print so i cant link to it.  Information on numbers and state of Iranian AF Tomcats was obtained  through FOIA by Combat Aircraft magazine as well and matches publication i am using.)

I wasn't talking out of my arse, I was taking my info from two reliable, decent sources. But if you know more then I do (which I don't doubt, since your a aviator, and I'm a civvy going into recce in 5 days) Then thanks for correcting me, as I like to know this stuff my self. I put some of my sources below, just to prove I don't make up info, but do actaully research things before I talk.

from global security. org "By 1987, however, the air force faced an acute shortage of spare parts and replacement equipment. Perhaps 35 of the 190 Phantoms were serviceable in 1986. One F-4 had been shot down by Saudi F-15s, and two pilots had defected to Iraq with their F-4s in 1984. The number of F-5s dwindled from 166 to perhaps 45, and the F-14 Tomcats from 77 to perhaps 10. The latter were hardest hit because maintenance posed special difficulties after the United States embargo on military sales.
"

from FAS " 79 Tomcats were delivered to Iran before the 1979 Revolution. They are normally grounded for lack of parts;"

rz350 said:
I wasn't talking out of my arse, I was taking my info from two reliable, decent sources. But if you know more then I do (which I don't doubt, since your a aviator, and I'm a civvy going into recce in 5 days) Then thanks for correcting me, as I like to know this stuff my self. I put some of my sources below, just to prove I don't make up info, but do actaully research things before I talk.

from global security. org "By 1987, however, the air force faced an acute shortage of spare parts and replacement equipment. Perhaps 35 of the 190 Phantoms were serviceable in 1986. One F-4 had been shot down by Saudi F-15s, and two pilots had defected to Iraq with their F-4s in 1984. The number of F-5s dwindled from 166 to perhaps 45, and the F-14 Tomcats from 77 to perhaps 10. The latter were hardest hit because maintenance posed special difficulties after the United States embargo on military sales.
"

from FAS " 79 Tomcats were delivered to Iran before the 1979 Revolution. They are normally grounded for lack of parts;"

I have seen both sources you quote.  The simple fact that the USAF itself tracked 16 tomcats at one time disproves the Globalsecurity.org source.  I have recent pictures of Iranian F-14s and they are far from grounded.

(edited because i have no typing skills)

I guess I was wrong, the damn thing does fly. :blotto:

Interesting photo's.

1018.jpg

220385_orig.jpg

tomahawk6 said:
I guess I was wrong, the damn thing does fly. :blotto:

Interesting photo's.

Nice find but those photos show Azarakhsh (Lightning), the twin-tailled F-5. The Saegheh (Thunder) mentioned by Defense Industry Daily is a different aircraft.

Back