• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Introduction

Spitfire

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just thought I'd post an intro here before I started posting away. Im 18 years old from Edmonton finished high school ast year and seriously thinking about joining the cf. I have my forms all filled out and am just waiting to take them in. Im really set on infantry but not sure whether to go reg force or reserves. Id like to have a full time job and be in the real deal so to speak, not just a few times a week heh. All my friends and family tell me to join the infantry reserves first and see if I like it, then go reg force. This doesnt seem like such a bad idea but with the way things are going I dont want to waste time for a entire year in the reserves when the regular force is where I want to be "eventually". Im looking for some advice from anyone willing to give it. Im a pretty in shape guy, 6'1 170lbs always been in sports like hockey soccer football, no medical problems or crimnal history. I actually enjoy running and feel good after working hard. But like I said im still pretty young and actually very shy to be honest although you wouldn't think it if you saw me. I pretty much know what I want... infantry, to me going oversea's would be a dream come true. I just dont know whether to go reg force or reserves, I also really want to stay in Edmonton hopfully with 1PPCLI or 3PPCLI if I go reg force. Moving to a new city or province leaving my family and friends behind really doesnt seem appealing at all. That was prob a pretty shitty intro but bare with me, thanks all!

I know how you feel!  When I joined up initially, I was 18 and wrestled with the idea of Reg or Res Infantry.  I had done my testing and was waiting for the call. 

Needless to say I joined the Reserves and did my initial battleschool training and just as I finished the recruiters phoned.  They had a spot open for the PPCLI and wanted to know if I was still interested.  I went down and had a good chat with the PO and he said to me, before you sign I have one more option.  What's that? Armoured he responded, I thought what the hell, why walk when I can drive.  Come to find out we all drive in the combat arms!

There is nothing wrong with wanting to go Infantry, but have a good look at the various trades and if you can talk to some those people.  There are various mbrs here on this site that are a part of the various trades of the CF.

I myself, got out after two tours to Yugoslavia and then got back into the Forces in 2002.

My new trade is awesome!  I'm now a Traffic Tech here in Trenton and belong to a MAMS (Mobile Air Movements Section)team. We are gone a lot! Our job is to move freight and people around the world 24/7 - 365.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I was Army and served in the RCD's in Pet.  It taught me a lot about myself and introduced me to the CF way of life.

But I really enjoy what I do now and the people that I work with.

I wish you all the best and if you can talk to a few of the mbrs from this site and ask them about there trades...Oh ya about wanting to stay in Alberta...if you can get out and see some of the country!  You've already seen Alberta.

Cheers!

Im looking for some advice from anyone willing to give it.
on what? Physical fitness? Pay? Duties? Stock tips? Ya gotta narrow it down a bit, Scooter.

And before you start firing it up, I'd suggest you use the Search function, for any questions first. Pretty much everything has been covered at one point or another. Scroll through the Infantry Forum, this Forum, and the Training Forum.

Hey Spitfire,

I'm going to let my maternal instincts cut in now. You're 18 years old and you dream of becoming an infanteer, so much so that your paperwork is done already. Unsure of whether you want to go Res or Reg, but know that you want to do this full-time. Perhaps your indecision in this area can be attributed to the point you bring up about your family and friends wanting you to go Res Force to see if you like it first.

I can tell you this, I dread the day my son looks at his father and I and says he is going to join the Forces. I dread this because he is my son, and I love him and I know what joining the military can mean. It means that one day he may be required to give up his life in the profession that he chooses. I do not look forward to this day, but I will give him my full support. Unfortunately there are few out there these days who can commit themselves to such a 'career.' Of course, if given the choice, many parents would not opt for their child to join the Reg Force with what they see on their television screens daily. Although for many of their children, this exact same scenario being seen on TV is what causes the itch in a certain populace to join. The will and desire to join and try to make a difference in the world. It is a calling that you either have or you don't.

By your very own words below, I suspect you have it. You have expressed your desire to go overseas, even knowing with what Units you hope to serve, and have also expressed your desire to do this full-time. You must follow your dreams. Being 18 years old, and about to make what is probably the first life-altering decision of your life, and your parents lives, I suspect that your indecision is based more on a desire not to hurt them. You have given us details below regarding your fitness and desires that tend to show that you are expressing your beliefs in your abilities to be an excellent soldier serving in the Regular Force.

Please sit down with yourself and think hard about the reason for your hesitation. Is it your hesitation or is it hesitation caused by how your parents may react? Once you have answered that question, you will know what to do in your heart.

Once you have determined that, sit down with your parents and explain to them why you have made the choice you have. You will find that they will support you no matter how you choose. Depending on your choice, their hearts may break a little, but they will watch their boy become a man in the process and they will be proud.

Regardless, the Military itself is a distinct family. Many others will support you who have gone through the same process. In a few years, no matter what choice you make, you will probably be building a family of your own (and wishing that mom & dad didn't live so darn close!!). At that point in time, your home is wear you hang your hat and what you make of it. Eventually your wife and you may have children, and if so, the circle of life will continue again as you sit back and fear the day your own child tells you that they are going to join the Military. It has been feared by many parents in the past, and will continue to haunt parents in the future.

Good luck with your decision making. Growing up is a hard thing to do at 18.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
35??    ...hehe...child!!
Para will always be a kid at heart!! I think a sick adult man usually equates to a whiny 4 year with an attitude!! Thus I keep away when 9er is in the doldrums!!  ;D

thanks for the good advice everyone. in regards to paracowboy i dont really have alot of questions, i've done my research. the only thing that im stuck on is reg or reserve force. i know what the both have to offer so i guess it really comes down to me. my parents are actually supportive of wanting me to join, my mother was in the army way back when. my friends on the other hand who i am very close with have all sorts of opinions. many of them are starting training to become police officers or join the fire department, something i would like to possibly do down the road. this may sound stupid to some, but i feel that everyone has a duty to serve in one of the armed forces even if its only for 5 years. im actually dead set on going reg force, so either i join reg right away, or go reserves first to see how it is and work me into military life.

mabey just one question. if i go reg force and request to be stationed in edmonton or mabye even alberta what chances do i have that it will happen? what can better that chance? :)

Spitfire said:
mabey just one question. if i go reg force and request to be stationed in edmonton or mabye even alberta what chances do i have that it will happen? what can better that chance? :)
Well if you are going infantry and PPCLI....the odds are what?? Alot higher than going RCR!!

So since I apply for infanty and there are two reg force infantry units here in Alberta I will have a good chance?

Back