• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interview Questions - Arty Officer

sgt_stewart

Inactive
Reaction score
I have an interview later this month and would like to know what type of questions the MCC might throw my way.

Reserve or Regular Force?

The reason I ask is that recently the recruiting centre for the Toronto area (which by your profile looks like the area you're applying in) has delegated the initial and final interview to the Artillery unit the potential officer candidate wishes to join.

The recruiting centre will complete all necessary testing etc though

I have been told that it will all be handled through the RC. Had my initial interview with the unit and I am currently jumping hoops at the RC.

The final interview occurs after successful completion of the RC process; it is a crucial step.

This final interview is done before a board chaired by the CO of the unit, and usually has three other officers present, one of which will be from an outside unit

They will confirm your interest and ability through a series of question. The questions typically relate to your education, any previous employment, awareness of current events, and in particular why you want to be an Artillery Officer. Consideration is given to the way you articulate your responses. Although somewhat subjective, it is scored, and you will be given the results.
Should the board conclude you're acceptable,l your file be completed by the RC and only then will you be sworn in as an officer candidate.

I have sat on 4 different artillery officer selection boards since Aug 2011, the best piece of advice I can give you is just be truthful about why you're there.

I was boarded by three officers, and was given a position. Having served before as a Sgt, the unit has offered me a position and are holding it based on my final 2 items at the recruiting centre being the medical and final interview.

For whatever it is worth, I have been a member of a number of selection boards, and went in front of one as a gunner. The final board may be done to confirm your suitability - drooling or being drunk or otherwise impaired is not a good idea (sorry, being a smart ass) - or to clear up any points that occurred to the recruting staff when reviewing your file. It is not a done deal yet, but if you are open, honest and articulate, the chances are you will be given a chance to prove yourself in the training and development system.

(To paraphrase an old sergeant I knew, being an officer can't be that hard, or else they'd have NCOs doing it.)

sgt_stewart said:
I was boarded by three officers, and was given a position. Having served before as a Sgt, the unit has offered me a position and are holding it based on my final 2 items at the recruiting centre being the medical and final interview.

Then something is missing in your description of what stage you're at, or your unit is following an atypical method.

At anyrate, good luck in your endeavours

I came across this link when asking myself the same question: http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/34gbc/entrevueen.pdf

Not much but its something. I also heard that you will be asked about the occupations you have applied for and to make sure you know exactly (at least) what is being advertised on the site. Someone else told me that they might ask you questions which concern current affairs.

Cheers,
Matthew

Back