• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interview advice (merged)

The interview prep form was never even mentioned when I did my interview.

Edit: If you're going to take the time to complete it anyway, why would you not bring it with you just to be safe?

Thanks for the quick answers.

Of course I'll drag it around with me to review it just prior to the interview. However, if they require the form, I'll form complete sentences instead of just writing down quick notes for my own use.

Interview prep guide is NOT required by the CFRC. You should have been told to research your occupation choices via the web page or the glossy handouts they pass out. We try to ensure that the applicants view the lifestyle videos for each occupation.  Bottom line, do your research before the interview.

CFR FCS

I felt like a big tool at my interview.  Haven't been on an interview in years, and it was kind of rushed due to the snowstorm.  Plus my interviewer didn't ask me many of the questions on that form (except for what do people in my selected trade do, and advantages/ disadvantages) there were a lot of "tell me about a time" and "what would you do" kind of questions... and the "Would you be able to shoot someone if the need arose?" question. 

tell me about a time

Those were definately the most troublesome questions for me. Some of them I could relate to rather quickly, but one or two I had to take a minute to formulate an answer. One minute with a recruiter staring at you from across the table seems like a really long uncomfortable time...

I told him I'd have to think for a minute since I haven't actually been in the workforce for 2 years.  mat leave + moving to Ottawa + the deployment = a long time with no working.  Didn't want to regale him with tales of motherhood.  lol

So i completed my CFAT and after i talked to a recruiter and scheduled my interview and medical.  I asked if there were any interview preparation forms or packages and he said no.  He said i should just research my trades i am applying for.  He didn't say anything else.  But now after i have seen this thread i will print this form and be better prepared.  Thanks.

Where is this interview prep form? I did not receive or was told about this form at all? please direct me to where i can find this

Lil_T said:
"Would you be able to shoot someone if the need arose?" question. 

Hmmm, I'd definately be interested in what the HR consultant put in as the 'most appropriate answer'.  Did you give a context situation where this might happen?

Greymatters said:
Hmmm, I'd definately be interested in what the HR consultant put in as the 'most appropriate answer'.  Did you give a context situation where this might happen?

To be honest, I was thinking the same thing. If someone said "ABSOLUTELY!", I am pretty sure that that would raise big ole' red flags in my mind. Likewise, if you say "ABSOLUTELY NOT!", then I think that one would have to wonder if the military is right for you.

Seems like almost a trick question without context.

Do I think I could shoot an unarmed grandmother who had no intention of hurting or killing me or others?

Do I think I could shoot an armed combatant who has every intention of doing me or others harm?

The "can you shoot someone" question seems to me like a yes/no question. If I would be the interviewer and I would get anything else than yes/no, I would repeat and ask "yes or no?".

I think in my interview the Captain actually prefaced the question with "yes or no?" That being the case, I'm not sure they would be concerned if you said something else, they just want to know whether or not you would be a contentious objector, although it probably wouldn't help you if you say "no."

martr said:
The "can you shoot someone" question seems to me like a yes/no question. If I would be the interviewer and I would get anything else than yes/no, I would repeat and ask "yes or no?".

This is the kind of answer that shows how people dont understand the purpose of an in-person interview.  If all you want is a 'yes-no' answer, then there's no need for you to be there doing an interview and wasting taxpayer dollars.  Just give the interviewee a piece of paper and come back when he's done if thats all you want.

The purpose of the interviewer is to provide context to difficult questions, and discuss why people made specific choices, not just observe behaviour to uncomfortable questions.     

Greymatters said:
This is the kind of answer that shows how people dont understand the purpose of an in-person interview.  If all you want is a 'yes-no' answer, then there's no need for you to be there doing an interview and wasting taxpayer dollars.  Just give the interviewee a piece of paper and come back when he's done if thats all you want.

The purpose of the interviewer is to provide context to difficult questions, and discuss why people made specific choices, not just observe behaviour to uncomfortable questions.   

I fully understand the purpose of an in-person interview. I conduct interviews myself, similar to those the recruiters are doing, for the same department.

I can confirm that there are questions where we require just a yes or no answer and I do repeat the question if someone answers something else and explains his position. Although I appreciate the extra information, all we are looking for in our case is yes/no.

I completely agree that the point of the recruiting interview is to get a "feel" of the potential recruit. However, there may be questions that they only look for a simple answer. This may be one of them.

I'm not a Military Career Counselor and I have no idea what they look for, so it's just my opinion really.

When it comes to shooting someone, I would hope that the context would be provided before giving a yes/no response.  That 'if the need arose' bit doesn't fly for me either.  If you can be asked whether you can take a life or not, then you should also be asked to properly justify the rationale for doing so.  Context matters.

But that's just me.

Summary:
1.  Fill out an Access to Information FORM.
2.  Contact Minister Peter MacKay.

In August 2008 I applied for DEO out of Halifax.  I kicked butt on the CFAT.  Then the Career Counsellor told me there was a freeze on ALL Officer Trades and he would be keeping my file active for only another 5 months...........then he would shred it.  I would then have to reapply & resubmit all original documentation.  I went home and called 5 Recruitment Centres across Canada and they told me this was incorrect.

I was crushed.  I'm 38, a parent/husband, full-time teacher, have a lot of family who served, and was ready to make the move.  I couldn't get any answers from Halifax so I filled out and "Access to Information (ATIP) Form" which gave me a copy of all internal correspondence regarding my file:

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/atip-aiprp/apps/coords/index-eng.asp

Or......

National Defence
Julie Jansen
Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator
North Tower
101 Colonel By Drive, 8th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario  K1A 0K2
Telephone: 613-992-0996 
Other Telephone: 1-888-272-8207
Facsimile: 613-995-5777
jansen.j@forces.gc.ca

HOLY COW!!!!  It provided me with a lot of inconsistencies and questionable data regarding the processing.  The CC broke a lot of rules.

I then took it, along with a formal written complaint, to Peter MacKay.  He took care of business and dealt with the Career Counselor in person and responded in writing.

PETER MacKay’s Office:.....................................................................................

The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay
Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway
980 East River Road
New Glasgow, Nova Scotia
B2H 3S8

Email:  Mackap2@parl.gc.ca
Tel:  902-863-7005

As of March 2009, I have reapplied through the Sydney Recruitment Office.  Wow.......... What a professional group of Men and Women.  They have processed the application right away and no “personal” hang-ups.

If you get shafted, do something about it and put it on record.  Believe me, Ottawa is watching!! :cdn:

Back