• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interested in joining the air force and need some advice.

acidgambit

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm 21 and single so i don't mind joining the military.
I graduated from BCIT in 2008 and have a diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Category M.
Wanted to join right after school but i didn't have Canadian citizenship....so oops.
Anyways i went on got hired by an airline and did maintenance on 319s, 320s, 321s, Embraer 175s and 190s.
Yea i enjoyed it, but in the back of my mind...i keep on wanting to join. And plus the aviation industry is very unstable. Next month (January) i'll be getting my citizenship and that's why i'm going to make a final decision.
My bro in law is in the US armory as a platoon leader and will be promoted to captain next year...i see him doing very well....that's one of the reason that kind of tempted me.

I'm planning to go into "Aviation system technician" in the Canadian Force.
And was wondering if anybody had any info on it.
For example: Requirements in the aptitude test, the training (basic and practical),  life in the airforce, and daily routine for an aviation system technician. Thank you all for reading and for your patient. Man i can't get those C-17, C130 and F-18 out of my head.
:nod: I'm hoping that if i make it that i'll be able to service a C-17. Love those aircrafts.
Anyways, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Safe holidays everyone.

For starters, your brother in law isn't in the US Armory.. he's in the US ARMY

As for info in the testing, Air Force, trade, etc
Start reading
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23193.0
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?board=106.0
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?board=42.0

On an unrelated note.. did you pick your forum name from Operation Acid Gambit ?

Thanks for replying Skeletor.

Thanks for the correction. But what i meant to say that he's in the US army and in armor division. <----correct me if i'm wrong again. lol.

And yes...i did pick that name cause of  Operation Acid Gambit

acidgambit said:
Thanks for replying Skeletor.

Thanks for the correction. But what i meant to say that he's in the US army and in armor division. <----correct me if i'm wrong again. lol.

And yes...i did pick that name cause of  Operation Acid Gambit

Armored Corps? (No "u" in the US spelling, before someone jumps on my tail for it)

Nauticus said:
Armored Corps? (No "u" in the US spelling, before someone jumps on my tail for it)

Well if we want to get really technical, he could in fact be in the 1st Armored Division  ;D

Just as a note: The US actually have Corps as functioning formations, so the word won't always denote a specific branch like here in Canada. They have real divisions too...and not just the map symbols!

(ducking)

Mr.Acidgambit I am a retired avionics tech.
Man I don't even know where to start. You need to do some serious searching through this site, there is tons of info.
[sarcasm] Also speaking to a actual military recruiter wouldn't be a bad idea. [/sarcasm]
I moved to a career as an aircraft maintainer (avionics) from another aircraft trade and it was a great experience.
I remember when I was in Bagotville Quebec in the 70's and everybody was getting out and joining Air Canada and Quebecair. I chose not to and as you say many civy techs have suffered layoffs over the years.

Back