• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

INTENSE movie coming out, 300!

That movie looks cool, although it kind of reminds me of the cutscenes from the God of War game.

One of my students mentioned the movie to me the other day, so I checked it out on imdb.com. I just finished talking about the Spartans in my Gr.11 World History class...the kids always like to hear about how they killed their weak babies and about their sexual orientation. I'm just to curious to see how accurate/authentic it will be. Hollywood sometimes has a tendency to mess with historical facts.

ex-Sup said:
always like to hear about how they killed their weak babies

Probably because they know it could'nt happen to them (or us)...

I'm curious about their sexual orientation. What about it?

It's based on the graphic novel, so I wouldn't expect alot of historical accuracy.  The trailer shows the persian army enlisting the use of trolls (or cyclops?)...  a fact commonly overlooked by historians  ;)  .  I'll go see it just for the artistry of the images.  Not enough films really experiment with getting an interesting or inovative look to the finished product on screen.

ex-Sup said:
Hollywood sometimes has a tendency to improve historical facts.

I agree.  Should be interesting to see how many of them get crammed into the horse.

Looks like its centered around the Battle of Thermopylae

Pretty cool lookin'.

And they're using Nine Inch Nails music in the trailer, can't be that bad.

Shamrock said:
I agree.  Should be interesting to see how many of them get crammed into the horse.

Er wrong battle there Shamrock

Or were you making a comment on the ability of Hollywood and their tendancy to mangle combine historcial facts
which if that is the case ... oops (told ya we need a sarcasm smiley here Mike)

Yrys ...think "don't ask, don't tell."  :-*

Yrys said:
I'm curious about their sexual orientation. What about it?

Ancient Greece was known for its openness toward bi/homosexuality. Spartan soldiers generally married for procreation, but they prefererred to spend their time in the barracks with the other soldiers. To quote a video that I show my students, "soldiers were both comrades and lovers." This usually elicits quite the response, especially since I teach teenagers.

seems like an interesting enough film, though probably not TOO historically accurate

I couldn't agree more. I saw this trailer about a month ago and was 100% impressed. Either its going to be REALLY good, or REALLY bad, I predict.
For the sticklers, take note: I don't think its meant to be historically accurate, what with trolls and all...

Ok, I've seen the preview and it looks fantastic.  Now it is based on a Frank Miller graphic novel by the same name.  I've read it.  very good and it is his interpretation of those events.  There are no trolls  NO TROLLS in this story.  What you are seeing is a visual reproduction of his artwork as portrayed in the comic book, if you've read Sin City or The Dark Knight Returns you'll know what I mean.  The movie Sin City is very much the same visuals that are in the comic.  Sometimes it is exagerated and grotesque (style wise).  Without ruining the story, that isn't a Troll, but a key player in what went down.

It is a great story and well told.

If you get a chance read Gates of Fire.  Fantastic historical novel on the same topic rumoured to become a movie as well.

Ok, geeky rant over. :crybaby:

I hope Gates of Fire gets made into a movie.  Fantastic read.  Also the Afghan Campaign by the same author, Steven Pressfield.  Fantastic read as well.

sweet now i can use all that ancient history from school to understand the movie when it comes out  :D

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/trailer2/
I don't get to go to movies too often anymore that the leading character isn't some talking animal. (2 1/2 yr old boy!!!)
I am going to definitely see this though.
I have the graphic novel that Frank Miller & Lynn Varley did a few years ago, and can't wait to see how well it
transfers to the big screen.
I read that Frank Miller was mad that he sold the rights to it after he got a preview screening with the director, Zack Snyder.

To the uninformed "300" is based on the batlle of Thermopylae between the Greeks & the Persian Empire.
The "300" being the elite members of the Spartan army.
Some references:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_Spartans
http://300spartanwarriors.com/300spartanswebsites/websites.html

I have also read "Gates of Fire" by Stephen Pressfield, a very good book, but by no means is it historically correct.
It is also "loosely" based on the batlle of Thermopylae.

Well I just got back from this movie and must say: "What a movie" not as memorable as Gladiator but still way better than Alexander. And worth your $8.50

First the good parts (no spoilers):

Story: I'm a lover of epics, and it was about time someone covered this historical legend. Not really historically correct but who cares, its celluloid not history -- bad guys want to invade, good guys fight to the end (yup, that's pretty historically correct for hollywood)

battles: You haven't seen battle sequences like this since Saving Private Ryan, except now you can cheer and cringe like you're watching a NASCAR pile up. I didn't know you could kill a man in soooooo many ways. I think I know where Xena learned her moves.

Main Characters Who ever casted the main characters did a very good job at casting especially the parts for the King and Queen of Sparta. Puts Angelina Jolie to shame with her phony accent.

Cinematography Its been 8 years since we were first introduced to 'bullet time' in the Matrix and now a small Quebec company has introduced us to what I call 'golden aging', its like that sparkle on the hero's teeth, except its everywhere, very unique when added to the battle sequences: its like watching an art masterpiece from the Louvre museum come to life.

Now the bad Parts:

Cinematography This innovative approach to the movie has had a double edged effect. While stunningly beautiful, sacrificing large expensive sets for cheap blue screen has rendered the picture... well 'flat' like a blue screen. many of the panoramic shots look like  picture held up to the camera giving no depth to the setting. When placed in action sequences they are blurred which really makes you see the 'real set' they used for filming. There is one pull out shot which I swear looks exactly like a painting.

Acting There is an inherent danger when you tell a story from Ancient Greece, especially to a modern audience still to sensitive to the sexually liberal tendencies of Ancient Greece. Just watch Oliver Stone's director's cut of  'Alexander' and I promise you, you won't want to 'insert disc two'. Sadly, I feel the director of 300 imported the exaggerated acting of Greek theatre into his movie. The main characters are fine, its just those damn extras with one line, one opportunity to shine in the movie; one line to get their next big gig in Hollywood, who spoil the movie.

Greek mythology: What would a good ol' Greek story be without a few ugly, heathen characters to add to the cast. Again, with a modern audience, this is a faux pas. Many times the audience broke out in laughter, not at the one-liners (and believe me their are some good ones) but at the incredability of some of these creatures (Ever seen a realistic goat head play the flute?). 

Typical movie made for Americans No, this is not a cheap shot at our American friends, but I'd say the truly inspiring movies with a strong 'fight for freedom' theme have been ones which concentrated on the human struggle -- not the nationalistic one (Saving Private Ryan, Band of brothers, Gladiator). One of my favorite drinking games is popping in a good ol' American classic that has more flag waving shots than cast members and do a shooter everytime you see the American flag flapping in the wind. Sometimes I just can't make it through the entire film. With this film, substitute the word 'freedom' with the American flag waiving and you could make it about 3/4 of the way through. Sure the Greeks had 'free men' but that was for the very elite of a Greek city-state. Everyone else was either a half-slave or full slave, with no civil or property rights. Strange how Hollywood's idealistic minds still seem to miss that one

Still, with all its petty faults, I'd spend another $8.50 just to see it again.

I rate it 3.5/5

P.S.Just a strange observational note, I watched at Rideau center in Ottawa, and about half the crowd was either Gothic or part of some leather fetish club.  Must be all the bare Mr. Octobers in their loin cloths who charge out in slow-mo. Oh well there a few booby scenes for the rest of us.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/300/about.php

Frank Miller first encountered the Spartans when he saw the film "The 300 Spartans" as a kid. He remembers, "I was quite shaken and inspired by it because it taught me that heroes aren't the people who necessarily get a medal at the end of the story, that heroes are people who do what is right because it is right, even making the ultimate sacrifice to do it.

1 VP has a private screeening (during work hours no less) coming up on the 21st - should be a lot of fun.  We are expecting 200 plus pers to attend.

Back