• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

INTENSE movie coming out, 300!

PPCLI Guy said:
1 VP has a private screeening (during work hours no less) coming up on the 21st - should be a lot of fun.  We are expecting 200 plus pers to attend.

You're 100- short.

Saw it yesterday.  Great film.  Very true to the graphic novel.  Critics are overanalyzing it though.  Seing how this comic was made before 911, Iraq or Afghanistan.  Some are linking it to that without even looking at the history.  Great visuals and great battle scenes.

Recomended for the big screen

This is one movie that has to be seen on the big screen & not on the TV Tube.

career_radio-checker said:
[Now the bad Parts:

Cinematography This innovative approach to the movie has had a double edged effect. While stunningly beautiful, sacrificing large expensive sets for cheap blue screen has rendered the picture... well 'flat' like a blue screen. many of the panoramic shots look like  picture held up to the camera giving no depth to the setting. When placed in action sequences they are blurred which really makes you see the 'real set' they used for filming. There is one pull out shot which I swear looks exactly like a painting.

Acting There is an inherent danger when you tell a story from Ancient Greece, especially to a modern audience still to sensitive to the sexually liberal tendencies of Ancient Greece. Just watch Oliver Stone's director's cut of  'Alexander' and I promise you, you won't want to 'insert disc two'. Sadly, I feel the director of 300 imported the exaggerated acting of Greek theatre into his movie. The main characters are fine, its just those damn extras with one line, one opportunity to shine in the movie; one line to get their next big gig in Hollywood, who spoil the movie.

Greek mythology: What would a good ol' Greek story be without a few ugly, heathen characters to add to the cast. Again, with a modern audience, this is a faux pas. Many times the audience broke out in laughter, not at the one-liners (and believe me their are some good ones) but at the incredability of some of these creatures (Ever seen a realistic goat head play the flute?). 

Typical movie made for Americans No, this is not a cheap shot at our American friends, but I'd say the truly inspiring movies with a strong 'fight for freedom' theme have been ones which concentrated on the human struggle -- not the nationalistic one (Saving Private Ryan, Band of brothers, Gladiator). One of my favorite drinking games is popping in a good ol' American classic that has more flag waving shots than cast members and do a shooter everytime you see the American flag flapping in the wind. Sometimes I just can't make it through the entire film. With this film, substitute the word 'freedom' with the American flag waiving and you could make it about 3/4 of the way through. Sure the Greeks had 'free men' but that was for the very elite of a Greek city-state. Everyone else was either a half-slave or full slave, with no civil or property rights. Strange how Hollywood's idealistic minds still seem to miss that one

I disagree with some of that.  One, the movie is based off of Frank Miller's Graphic novel.  The movie perfectly reflects that, including the grotesque exagerations typical of his art.  Also I don't think this movie is a flag waving america rocks style story.  Spartans were fiercely proud people and very much patriots to the point of fanatisism.  That depiction is not innacurate.  The graphic novel came out well before 9/11, Iraq and so on. (Not saying that you are linking this to that but some critics have).  Frank Miller didn't touch too much on Spartan society but more on the battle.  Hence why it doesen't touch on the whole slave/freedmen issue.  Don't blame Hollywood for that one.

Great movie in my opinion. Glad you liked it.

I just came back from seeing 300 awesome flick.That truly is a soldiers movie.Frank Miller does some great graphic novels.

Just got back from seeing "300" and was very impressed.
I love reading about historical battles, especially from authors like Steven Pressfield.
His book "Gates of Fire" gets more in to detail and tells the story on a more personal note.

Now Frank Millers "300" the graphic novel cuts that all out and gets to the point, the battle at
the hot gates and the sacrifice of the Spartans and their king.

Zack Snyder translated Millers book perfectly in my opinion, he didn't bother trying to be historically
correct, but stayed correct to Millers graphic novel.

Just seen it last night.... great movie  8)

massive airbrushing but still amazing...

I was laughing at some people that thought this was a historical film about the Battle of Thermopylae when going to see it. It was an awesome movie and well done. It stuck very close to the graphic novel just like Sin City before it. I prefered this movie over Sin City... but thats just my own preference.  :cdn:

Procrast said:
Just seen it last night.... great movie  8)

massive airbrushing but still amazing...

Pert much the entire movie was done on a "green screen"  all the backgrounds & graphics are projected.

Reminded me of Vlad Tepes' potential, don't miss this movie in theater. IMAX...SFX/VFX is priority if you have the means.

Cinematography This innovative approach to the movie has had a double edged effect. While stunningly beautiful, sacrificing large expensive sets for cheap blue screen has rendered the picture... well 'flat' like a blue screen. many of the panoramic shots look like  picture held up to the camera giving no depth to the setting. When placed in action sequences they are blurred which really makes you see the 'real set' they used for filming. There is one pull out shot which I swear looks exactly like a painting.

Exactly! It is based on the "graphic novel" aka comic book just like SinCity. It feels like a comic book coming alive and IMO that is exactly what they were aiming for.

Well, we're off to see it in about an hour.  Looking forward to it.  I love Frank Miller. 

Did a quick search. Movie made more than 70M on the opening weekend. Biggest money maker in March EVER  :eek:. Considering it took them only 60 days to make it (double  :eek: ) and didnt have any *stars* in it, the studio made a killing on this one.

Wow! wow and wow! This has to be the best flick I've seen in ages...loved the actors(ok the beef cake factor was mega high, not hard to watch at all, I mean who can resist wall-to-wall 6 packs and Gerard Butler is yummy as usual), loved the story line (and no, they didn't use ogres etc, those were deformed and disabled persons - hence the allure of the deformed Spartan to side with them - it juxtaposed the Spartan's brutal culling of weak and damaged babies).  Loved the sound track, specFX were awesome and the humour was fabulous.  This one is certainly going into the DVD library when it's released. 

This weekend I was tasked with doing some security work at the CFRC recruiting drive they had down in Cambridge, and me and my buddies managed to catch this after one of our shifts. Everybody loved it. I'm taking my Dad out to see it as a birthday present tonight. I wonder if there's anybody here who's read the book, and could tell us how close it stayed to the original storyline/art style.

You can buy it on the website, the special edition hard cover. As soon as CC bill and parking tickets are paid (i hate them money grabbing assholes) im getting it for myself.

Oh, they also have a 300 limited edition shields for sale  :eek:

I have the hard cover, as I'm a huge fan of Miller (so I have most of his published works).  The imagery of the book and Miller's signature portrayal of dark versus light, good versus evil is quite accurately depicted in the film's production values.  Zack Snyder did the book justice and stayed failry close to Varley's colourings. The one thing that has always bothered me about Miller's work being turned into a screen production is that very few actors can deliver his unique dialogues correctly without sounding stilted and forced.  Butler came close.  We'll see if it improves with Sin City II and III. 

Has anybody watched Rocky Balboa yet.  I've heard its a good movie?

Regards

Steve

niner domestic said:
I have the hard cover, as I'm a huge fan of Miller (so I have most of his published works).  The imagery of the book and Miller's signature portrayal of dark versus light, good versus evil is quite accurately depicted in the film's production values.  Zack Snyder did the book justice and stayed failry close to Varley's colourings. The one thing that has always bothered me about Miller's work being turned into a screen production is that very few actors can deliver his unique dialogues correctly without sounding stilted and forced.  Butler came close.  We'll see if it improves with Sin City II and III. 
IMO the guys playing Spartans, especially Leonidas, captured the fanaticism of standing and dying perfectly.
Not just facial expression, but the look in his eyes
300-1.jpg

THIS IS SPARTA!! <---- bloody classic!!!

I saw it with all the blood adrenaline pumping and by the end I have never been so motivated to work out :| It put me to shame seeing all those fit ppl... :crybaby:Oh well... more regimented PT routine then. Honestly though it was a brilliant movie! I think I will go and see it in IMAX now... it'll be an interesting time.

Back