• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Intelligence Officer / Operator

• Thread starter future_soldier
  • Start date
k25 said:
I live right downtown in Toronto. The closest reserve unit to me is 32 Signal Regiment: Fort York - it's an armoury so I am guessing I would not be able to work there given as I am applying to be intelligence.

2 Intelligence Company
http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/2-intelligence-company/index.page
1 Yukon Lane
Toronto, ON 
( near Downsview Station )

k25 said:
Thanks for the help everyone.

I live right downtown in Toronto. The closest reserve unit to me is 32 Signal Regiment: Fort York - it's an armoury so I am guessing I would not be able to work there given as I am applying to be intelligence. I know there are a few more in the city, though.

The Royal Regiment of Canada(Infantry) and Queen's York Rangers ("Armour" Recce) are also located at Fort York Armoury. North Toronto/Downsview area is where Denison Armoury is located, and they have an Intelligence Company there.

So I'm enlisting as an Intelligence operator but just have some questions.

Can anyone tell me how long you have to be in until you can branch out into one of the advanced specializations (such as HUMINT and counter intelligence)?

What are the day to day duties of an intelligence operator on a "normal day"?

And I understand it's difficult but I am hoping to try for SOF selection later on down the road, because Intel is a non combat trade will I be able to try out for the role of "assaulter" or will I be limited to that of a support trade?

Finally, are courses such as recce and other courses (maybe even jump school?) available to Intel operators? Or are those specifically set aside for combat arms such as infantry?

Do Intel operators have the ability to, later on down the road,  try out for the role of CSOR assaulter? Or is that only reserved for the combat arms? Would Intel operators be restricted to sof support staff?

Thankyou

I'm enlisting as an Intelligence operator. I'm wondering if, as an Intel operator, I would have the opportunity and ability to take courses such as recce, advanced small arms, driver and other combat related courses. I ask because I hope to pursue HUMINT where these would be slightly more applicable.

I'm enlisting as an Intelligence operator. I am wondering how long one is required to be an Intel operator before branching out into a more specialized career. I have my eye set on JTFX and any other tactical HUMINT roles. On another note, I do hope to apply to CSOR down the road and am wondering if it's possible to go from Intel operator to CSOR assaulter? Or would I be confined to CSOR support staff?

Thankyou for any info on this trade, any info on it would be greatly appreciated.

I have enlisted as an Intelligence operator and am trying to dog up as much info as I can about the specialized jobs within. My main question is how would one go about  applying for the advanced jobs such as JTFX? In the official canadian forces recruiting video it says briefly that when you attend the canadian firces school of militaty Intel "that is where you can choose a career tk specialize in, this can be tactical Intel gathering....".

Any info would be immensely helpful.

Holy (&#()#@&@ batman...calm down.  You aren't even in the CAF yet, you registered on the site yesterday and you have a handful of posts scattered all over asking about all the high speed/low drag stuff.

What you NEED to be thinking about first is getting accepted.  Then passing BMQ.  Are you in shape for training?  Are you getting all your 'life' ducks in a row so you can focus on your training IF you get accepted?

You are worrying about black-belt techniques and you haven't even tested for yellow yet.  Start thinking about BMQ, not CSOR.  At this point, you are an aspiring applicant.  Do not expect to get any info on SOF/CSOR/specialized Int Op training or employment that you can't get yourself thru open source stuff i.e. from a google search. 

Despite what you might think when you read this post, the info in my post is immensely helpful.  :2c:

Welcome to Army.ca, MackenzieJRT.

As Eye In The Sky said, stop spurting all over the Site. And follow his other advice as well. It is sound.

Int Ops are expected to be able to research subjects. There is much discussion about this here already. Please take the time to explore older threads on this Site and try the Search Function. This saves others' valuable time repeating earlier answers, saves DS the effort of merging threads of repetitive questions and answers, saves new people the effort of wading through them, and rewards you by providing answers to other questions before you even think of them.

And it's "Int" and not "Intel". This is Canada, not the US.

Lastly, you might not want to use your real name.

MackenzieJRT said:
Do Intel operators have the ability to, later on down the road,  try out for the role of CSOR assaulter? Or is that only reserved for the combat arms? Would Intel operators be restricted to sof support staff?

Any trade can try out to be a SF Operator for CSOR

MackenzieJRT said:
I'm enlisting as an Intelligence operator. I'm wondering if, as an Intel operator, I would have the opportunity and ability to take courses such as recce, advanced small arms, driver and other combat related courses. I ask because I hope to pursue HUMINT where these would be slightly more applicable.

Can Int Ops take a driver wheel course, yes
Can Int Ops try out for HUMINT, yes
Can a Int Op be loaded onto Basic Para, yes

Are Int Ops loaded onto Basic Recce, ASA, and other Infantry orientated courses, no.

MackenzieJRT said:
I'm enlisting as an Intelligence operator. I am wondering how long one is required to be an Intel operator before branching out into a more specialized career. I have my eye set on JTFX and any other tactical HUMINT roles. On another note, I do hope to apply to CSOR down the road and am wondering if it's possible to go from Intel operator to CSOR assaulter? Or would I be confined to CSOR support staff?

Thankyou for any info on this trade, any info on it would be greatly appreciated.

You need prior service before you become int ops.

You don't need to be an int op to be HUMINT qualified.

CSOR is open for everybody like everybody said.👌

Be a weapons/ammo tech and be fit, join csor support :))

VKCornes said:
You need prior service before you become int ops.

Not anymore. Intelligence Operator is now open to direct entry.

http://www.forces.ca/en/job/intelligenceoperator-9

I've searched the threads but haven't found an answer to my question.

Do Air Force Int Os still have to do CAP/BMOQ-L? I've seen some hints / rumours that they might not have to, so I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure. A couple of people in other Int-related threads have said the trade is becoming a bit more element-specific. Thanks for your time.

Hi new here, I'm currently on course at CFLRS as an Int-Op, I am wondering if anyone knows if Int-Op is considered a spec trade like MP being immediately ranked to Cpl after BMQ and before QL5 completion? I've searched the web and asked all of my instructors / duty staff but they see few Int-Ops so I can't get an answer from anyone. Thanks!

Int does not start as automatic Corporal. You get to be a Pte like everyone else. The reason you rarely see Int Ops below Cpl, as most of the trade is remusters, so they are rank protected at Cpl.

Frankopolous said:
Hi new here, I'm currently on course at CFLRS as an Int-Op, I am wondering if anyone knows if Int-Op is considered a spec trade like MP being immediately ranked to Cpl after BMQ and before QL5 completion? I've searched the web and asked all of my instructors / duty staff but they see few Int-Ops so I can't get an answer from anyone. Thanks!

Simple answer: "No."

After you complete your QL 5 you will be qualified Cpl, and promote-able should you have the "time in" (or you are deemed a prospect for an Advance Promotion).  As PuckChaser pointed out, most Int Ops on the QL 5 are coming into the Int Trade as Trained CAF members from other Trades and are already Cpl, or above; so that is why you will see many as Cpls before they complete the QL 5 Int Op Crse and are fully trained.  If you are an Int Op right off the street, with no previous military training, you are not going to be a Cpl until after you are fully trained having graduated a QL 5 Int Op Crse; not before.

No Spec Pay either.  [:(

Thanks for the information, I asked 12 instructors and none of them had a clue about Int-Op.

Frankopolous said:
Thanks for the information, I asked 12 instructors and none of them had a clue about Int-Op.

Hey, do you mind telling me a bit about your qualifications ? I know they hardly hire anyone off the street but I was told there's a good chance I could be offered Int Ops soon as well. I only have high school education and a year of university and didn't really have any Int Ops related qualifications at all. I was told I scored a very competitive score but that alone doesn't seem like enough considering only 10-15 people are offered that position off the street per year.

Any information you can give me about your experience would be appreciated.

Back