• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Intelligence Officer / Operator

• Thread starter future_soldier
  • Start date
F

future_soldier

I am interested in this MOC, however on the recruiting page it is not listed and I was unable to find any information about it anywhere else. Anything anyone can tell me about it would be great.. do you go through another MOC and then transfer? or whats the deal?

In the regs, you have to be in another MOC first, they won‘t just take you off the street. In the res, some units might take you off the street, others will only take you if you‘ve been in another MOC>

Yes, you need something like 4 years in another MOC before you can go intel. Talked with some int guys, nothing specific but it sounded like a good trade to be in.

You don‘t nessesarilly need four years in, but you do need significant experience. (regs, and reserves) They prefer you to be Cpl qualified in your trade. Intel is someting to think about later on as a possibility; first, pick a trade you think you would be happy in.

I went by a CFCR yesterday to get the trade info on Intel (82) and the clerk gave me the MOC info for Military Police Officer/Security Officer (81). He said that they don‘t have info for Intel and that the best they could do was MPO. He also mentioned to me that the BEST WAY in to the Intel trade was to become an MP.

Anyone have any experience with, on knowledge about, this?

You can also remuster into INT from other trades than MP, i.e. combat arms..

Here are some websites that deal with INT, so you can get an idea of what it‘s all about..

http://www.airforce.forces.ca/air_reserve/Recruiting/intelligenceoperator_e.cfm
This site deals with MOC111 Intelligence Operator, the NCM side of int..

http://www.airforce.forces.ca/air_reserve/Recruiting/intelligenceofficer_e.cfm
MOC82...

http://www.intbranch.org
The Intelligence Branch Association.

How‘s that for information collecting skills ;)

Having a degree I was told that I could start as an officer in the army. Plus, it is a computer degree therefore it would be convenient for me to enter into millitary intelligence. But, I am also ready to go on missions on distant areas. I am very physically fit and have great fighting skills. Is there a way to have a platoon as a sargeant and be in the millitary intelligence.

Mario Plourde
trexhunter34@hotmail.com
(204) 453-9199

Make sure you know what is expected from officers before you apply, just because someone has a degree doesn't mean he has what it takes to succeed.

Is there a way to have a platoon as a sargeant and be in the millitary intelligence.

What do you mean by "having a platoon" ? By the way sergeants are not commissioned officers.

SUGGESTION:

I really think that a MIL-INT section needs to be created to breakdown the freakin' myths of the INT world, and to give a hand to the young pups interested in the field. This would also (well, hopefully) cut down on redundant question traffic.

Also it has been said a million times, the best place for you to start (since there is not an INT readonly advice section on this board) is to talk to people in an INTCOY or to your local recruiter. Although, I must admit that the local recruiter will likely not know all that much about the INTfield other than the basics.

So I got a call from the CFRC today and was told that I had been merit-listed for Int Officer.  Despite the fact that I asked the recruiter several times what being merit listed entails exactly I was not really given a clear response.  I was just told that the next DEO selection board will meet in the spring so I have to wait until then.  Now this may sound stupid, but what exactly does "merit-listed" mean?  Is it just a nice way of saying that "you didn't make the cut so we've stuck you on a waiting list"?  Is it just a glorified waiting list? Or does it mean that when some spots open up I will be given consideration?  Or does it mean something else?

I did a search on merit-listing and came up with loads of hits.  It seems to me that everyone knows what merit-listed means except me.  I've heard the term used several times but am not quite clear on what happens when you get merit-listed.  Does this mean that I will eventually get an offer or will I just be banging my head against the wall until my file closes?  Especially with the Int trade which is pretty selective.

Basically, I'm just looking for some straight up info on the merit-listing process and how it affects the selection process.

Cheers.

Hi ReadyAyeReady,

I was merit listed for Engineer Officer for a while before I got my offer. You are in a certain position on the merit list. From what I understand this means that you were selected at the selection board, but they did not have enough slots to train you this time around. That means you sit on the list until a training slot opens up, and you will be given your official offer at that point. You will be offered this position before anyone else in the spring selection board.

So it is good news, but there is a little more waiting to be done.

Merit listed means that you have met all the eligibility and suitability requirements for your file to go to the selection board for your chosen occupation.  It does not mean you have a job or that you have been selected for a job it means you now wait for the next selection to see if you are competitive enough to get a job offer.

Pieman,

You haven't learned a damn thing as you are referring to being wait listed after a selection board. ;D

Clear as mud?

Pieman,

You haven't learned a darn thing as you are referring to being wait listed after a selection board.

Clear as mud?
Doh! Sorry, didn't realise they were two different things. You can have the rest of my tea.  :warstory:

Pieman said:
Doh! Sorry, didn't realise they were two different things. You can have the rest of my tea.   :warstory:

I had already taken it. ;D

Merit listed means that you have met all the eligibility and suitability requirements for your file to go to the selection board for your chosen occupation.  It does not mean you have a job or that you have been selected for a job it means you now wait for the next selection to see if you are competitive enough to get a job offer.

Okay.  So if I was told yesterday that I was merit-listed then what DEO selection board will I be considered for?  Is it the current one or is it going to be later?

ReadyAyeReady said:
Merit listed means that you have met all the eligibility and suitability requirements for your file to go to the selection board for your chosen occupation.   It does not mean you have a job or that you have been selected for a job it means you now wait for the next selection to see if you are competitive enough to get a job offer.

Okay.   So if I was told yesterday that I was merit-listed then what DEO selection board will I be considered for?   Is it the current one or is it going to be later?

I was just told that the next DEO selection board will meet in the spring so I have to wait until then.

Sorry, I'm just a little confused that's all.  Because the guy who called me yesterday said to wait until the spring, while my MCC, who I talked with today, says that if I don't hear from them in january then I should call them to find out what's going on.  So my MCC made it sound like I was going to be on this board while the other guy I talked to, who I had never even spoken to before, said I wait until spring.

I don't want to start a gripe session but I honestly can't get a clear answer from anyone at the CFRC.  That's why I posted this in the first place.

I guess I'll just wait until the call me.

Hey folks. I've recently done my CFAT and other tests for the Army Reserve, I'm stuck with V4 vision but that doesn't mean I can't get in on an interesting trade that I can get alot out of (RMS Clerk, a very vital CSS trade). My Interviewer, after checking out my CFAT score, suggested I look into the ROTP when the time comes around (I'm in Grade 10 at the moment) and I've always been drawn to Intelligence. I see that recently Intelligence has been openned to ROTP.

I know that Intelligence Officers work in analysis, supervization of operators, and dissemenation but I am curious do they ever work in data collection, for example interrogation. Who is it exactly that collects intelligence, especially HUMINT? Do Intelligence Officers do this in addition to analysis and dissemenation?

Collection of Int is done by many level of operator both in the Intelligence trade and out.

HUMINT courses are run for anyone who is suitable, you do not have to be int to get them.

As an Int Op (NCM) I collected SIGINT... but that was just my tasking. Others did map work, some did analysis...

I am not sure my IntO did any collection, I never saw him do any any, but that doesn't mean that he didn't. He did mostly colaltion, analysis and dissemination.... perhaps Journeyman can fill in on the Int O role (*snicker*)

You mentioned RMS Clerk, so I am not sure if you are looking at NCM trades as well, and am by no means an expert on the vision requirements for them, but you may want to check out Sig Op and Comm Research too - they may be of interest to you, if you qualify.

muffin

Back