• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Injured recruits misdiagnosed then dropped by military

schart28

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/02/12/bc-injuredsoldiers.html

Ex-soldiers say they have been left disillusioned and permanently disabled
Last Updated: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 | 9:06 PM ET
CBC News

Former recruit Natasha Howell says her faith in the Canadian Forces is shattered.
"I'm 30 years old and I have to learn how to walk," said Natasha Howell. "They saw my injury. They knew it and they still didn't do anything about it — nothing."
What the doctors at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School (CFLRS) at Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu told Howell was a sprained ankle in September 2005, required reconstructive surgery two years later after she was discharged.

"People are shattering their feet, breaking their hips — because they are being pushed so far beyond their limit that their bodies can't do it," said Autumn Thomas, another former recruit, who injured her back during training.
Those experiences are "unfortunate," said Lt.-Col. Christian Mercier, the commander at CFLRS. "In the future, maybe we need to devote more time to the people who are here in those circumstances."

According to the Canadian military, more than 3,500 recruits go through basic training at CFLRS every year. In 2007, there were 234 injury accidents and 644 recruits and officer cadets were put on medical restrictions.
About three-quarters of the recruits complete their training successfully, the military said.

Howell's dream was to serve her country, like her brother, when she signed up in 2004. When she fell during training at CFLRS in bad weather, military doctors told her she had an ankle sprain. They put her on crutches but soon sent her back to training.
Howell said that over the next several months she kept telling the doctors that she was in a lot of pain, but never received proper treatment.

Natasha Howell, who signed up in 2004, says when she fell during training at CFLRS in bad weather, the military doctors told her she had an ankle sprain.

"You still had to do the marching, you still had to do the drill," she said. "If you've been there [the medical clinic] numerous times with the same injury, they just think you are complaining and want to get out of training.
"I never wanted to get out of training. I was really hurt."

Howell was taken out of her platoon and eventually discharged from the Canadian Forces for medical reasons. Back home in Sydney, N.S., she said her civilian doctor was shocked to see that her ankle injury had gone untreated for two years and ordered immediate surgery.
"They actually found that my injury had gotten worse after walking on it for two years," said Howell. "The cut in the bone got another millimetre in depth and the actual ligament was non-existent and the other one was pretty much shredded."

Howell spent months depressed and learning to walk again. She is now unemployed and permanently disabled. The worst part, she said, is her dream of being a soldier is shattered — along with her faith in the Canadian Forces.
"I was proud to be in the military," Howell said. "After being treated the way I was treated — or I should say not treated for my injury — made me feel like I was a waste of their time."

Howell wiped away tears as she described how her life has changed.
"I used to run and walk and exercise. I was always out," she said, "Now, there's just a lot I can't do that I want to do. I spend my time thinking, what I am going to do with the rest of my life?"

Thomas signed up last year and then fell when a mound of dirt she was climbing during an exercise gave way. Like Howell, she said she told doctors she had shooting pain down her leg, but they didn't diagnose herniated disks in her back until much later.
"They're pushing us really hard to get through the training because we are so short-staffed in the military, they just want us to get in, get done and get out," said Thomas.

Thomas was also discharged last year on administrative release, a category that means she doesn't qualify for military health coverage. She's struggling with back pain while in nursing school in Mission, B.C., and can't afford the physiotherapy she needs.
"It's destroyed my life," she said. "I wouldn't go back to the military. I would not recommend it to anyone right now until they get this fixed."

Mercier said the biggest problem during training is that some recruits just aren't fit enough to make the cut and that the people the Forces send to Afghanistan need to have a certain mental and physical robustness to be able to cope.
"I have a lot of respect for these two individuals and I hope that they will have and enjoy a full recovery," said Mercier. "It is very sad to hear that it turned out to not be that good of an experience for them.

"We do our best to provide them with the ideal conditions," said Mercier, "But we do have certain limitations here in terms of a training institution and the environment that we can actually provide to these individuals to get proper care."
Mercier insisted pressure to train recruits quickly for deployment overseas is not a problem and CFLRS has enough medical staff and resources to do the job.

However, an e-mail sent to Thomas last fall by another officer at CFLRS pointed to increased pressure and stretched resources.
"I hope you understand that with the amount of people that we have going through St-Jean that certain mistakes will be made," Capt. Robert Tanguay wrote. "The force expansion is creating all kinds of special circumstances for a lot of people and our health services is doing some extensive catching up, in order to provide proper care for the CF members."

Mercier also said the recruits' experiences were not what they should have been.
"Things happen," he said. "Maybe we didn't help those people good enough. But I can tell you something, an interview like the one we are doing [with CBC News] now makes us look at how we do business how we can do business better in the future."

MOD EDIT: took out the picture captions to make it readable.

the problem is that these one sided stories are popping up... there might and probably are more a common problem and persistant problems

schart28 said:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/02/12/bc-injuredsoldiers.html

"People are shattering their feet, breaking their hips — because they are being pushed so far beyond their limit that their bodies can't do it," said Autumn Thomas, another former recruit, who injured her back during training

Sorry to sound cold-hearted but recruit training should push you to beyond your limits. While I sympathise with those who get mis-diagnosed(a whole other discussion), people do get injured during training and yes some end up being released because of it. This can and does happen at any time during your career.
Just because you really want to serve does not mean you will serve, sometimes shit happens and one has to accept an alternate career.
Again, I truly sympathise with those who the medical system has failed, but that particular comment by Autumn bothered me.

schart28 said:
Former recruit Natasha Howell says her faith in the Canadian Forces is shattered.
"I'm 30 years old and I have to learn how to walk," said Natasha Howell. "They saw my injury. They knew it and they still didn't do anything about it — nothing."
What the doctors at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School (CFLRS) at Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu told Howell was a sprained ankle in September 2005, required reconstructive surgery two years later after she was discharged.

"People are shattering their feet, breaking their hips — because they are being pushed so far beyond their limit that their bodies can't do it," said Autumn Thomas, another former recruit, who injured her back during training.

Two recruits (older) who hurt themselves.  I think I can make a rough guess at their physical conditioning if they feel they were "pushed so far beyond their limit that their bodies can't do it." - that doesn't really happen at St Jean....   ::)

Unfortunate, and I'm not denying their claims, but we have nothing to say that this wasn't a pre-existing condition or that it wasn't excacerbated by further activity.

According to the Canadian military, more than 3,500 recruits go through basic training at CFLRS every year. In 2007, there were 234 injury accidents and 644 recruits and officer cadets were put on medical restrictions.
About three-quarters of the recruits complete their training successfully, the military said.

...and the reason these ones probably feel they were rushed along was because of their peers.  Roughly 15% of trainees there report for chits; being in an Individual Training institution, I can tell you that alot of these trainees take chits for the easy ride.  As a result, the MIR is a meat-factory (go see the sick parade at St-Jean for a good example).

All in all, I have a funny feeling that a more effective gateway at the recruiting level would help prevent this 15% business (in terms of process, not recruiter effort).

This news article should ALSO point out the creation and necessity for the RFT Platoon (or is it Coy now?) that was created because of the # of recruits on BMQ and IAP that show up for military training so out of shape they can't even do the EXPRES test.

That might make it not so one-sided.

What about starting something like the Delayed Entry Program they have in the US?  I'm not 100% on the details of how it works, but it might help out some of the less-prepared candidates, whilst keeping the costs to the taxpayer down ... http://www.marines.com/page/usmc.jsp?pageId=/page/SubSection-XML-Conversion.jsp?pageName=Delayed-Entry-Program&flashRedirect=true

Their injuries aside, I think it is also important to point out here that the 'problems the military is facing' analysis in the article is coming from 2 people who apparantly never made it out of their QL3 trades training.  They are obviously unhappy they couldn't make it thru the training.

I am sorry but...if you fall down a pile of dirt and are permanently disabled by that, are you really cut out for military service?  I fell out of trees as a kid, wiped out on my bike weekly if not daily and caught more baseballs with my head then with my glove.  I survived.

I would like to see more actually medical facts on this;  for example, is there proof that the individual didn't have any previous documented (or undocumented, for that matter) back injuries and that the herniated discs were solely due to falling down the dirt pile?  If they were in fact misdiagnosed and the like...isn't there a process with DVA that will look after them to the same standard that soldiers coming back from operations with (combat) injuries are required to go thru?  Seems to me there is some  :crybaby: :crybaby: to this 'story' but...thats my own opinion. 

I am not calling them liars;  I am saying I don't see any proof in the pudding at this point.  Again, great job by the news media  ::) with unbiased reporting WRT to CF.

The truth of the matter is that the MIR at places like this are so full of people trying to get out of work that the people who are actually injured often times get overlooked. No Matter how hard you train the possiblity of injury still exists. Considering the pressure these schools are under to get people trained and operational, is it acceptable to ruin a few lives to get it done? Can we rationalize what happened in Ms. Howell's situation because there are some people at the MIR faking injuries? I would say not. The CF medical system needs to be looking out for the best interest of the troops under their care, and not giving them a lollypop(i.e. ibuprofen) and telling them to get back out in the field without doing a proper diagnosis. Whether or not Ms. Howell had/has the fortitude to be in the military, her injury was misdiagnosed by an apathetic medical staff and now she is paying the price of being handicapped for the rest of her life with nothing to show for it.

Mercier said the biggest problem during training is that some recruits just aren't fit enough to make the cut and that the people the Forces send to Afghanistan need to have a certain mental and physical robustness to be able to cope.

Not to say that people don't get seriously hurt at BMQ, however, maybe it's time to start looking at doing the fitness test before they get in.  Also, as said above, many people have pre-existing conditions that don't get picked up on the entry medical.

PMedMoe said:
Not to say that people don't get seriously hurt at BMQ, however, maybe it's time at looking at doing the fitness test before they get in.  Also, as said above, many people have pre-existing conditions that don't get picked up on the entry medical.

To a limited level, I agree.  However, IAW the dates/timelines provided in the article, these people would have joined when the fitness testing was done during the CFRC processes (the dropping of the fitness tests during recruiting was done in the fall of 2006 IIRC).

And if they were done after the fitness testing was dropped, to partake in the training, they would have had to have passed the EXPRES test.  So I am not sure the first sentence in your post would effectively address the issue.  Thoughts?

Infanteer said:
I can tell you that alot of these trainees take chits for the easy ride.  As a result, the MIR is a meat-factory (go see the sick parade at St-Jean for a good example).

That's a big +1 Infanteer

The MIR at CFLRS is an absolute gaggle**** of whiners. Granted, training can be rigorous, and I'm not one who advocates gutting it through potentially serious injuries (that's how people get serious problems) but people need to start realizing the difference between hurtin' and injured. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the staff can refuse a recruit who requests a trip to the MIR, but theres no quicker way to lose the respect of your instructors, and more importantly, your platoon mates, than running to the MIR for every cough and boo boo.

infanteer-it said:
The truth of the matter is that the MIR at places like this are so full of people trying to get out of work that the people who are actually injured often times get overlooked.

I agree with that too, and it's a real shame. The people who work in the MIR are professional, good at their jobs, and unfortunately, overworked because of whiners.

I feel for these recruits having an injury can be life changing event . At the same hand I am not sure that the CF is to take full blame on there current state  .  I  will use me as an example I was injured April 2007 on my BMQ course and I messed my right knee up strainedmost of the  ligaments and had a  stress fracture on the Tibia .  I was hoping to stay in the CF  and so was my staff  ( for me staying inthe CF )  was sent from wainright to St Jean  to heal up  but it didn't heal up  fast enough while I was in PAT. There was a rule change at the same time  saying that if you where medically unfit for duty for more than 30 days you would be  honorably released and sent home in July this is what happened to me others where sent home at various times  ( there was a PRB to determine this at the same time ) .
      I was discouraged about being sent home but at the same time I know the knee injury happened cause I wasn't fully ready for the challenges that lay ahead with the CF  .  Even though I  was working out at the Gym before hand and had lost   30 pounds  I was still 295 at the start of my BMQ course still  to heavy to attempt it but I was arrogant enough to thinking that I could handle it .   What I am trying to get it is that people who are thinking of joining the CF should make darn sure that they are good to go physical before they start it will save them and the CF a lot of Grief .    I also feel for the MIR staff at  St Jean  I think they do a good job but sadly I don't think there is enough of them to handle the work load .   Like some stated there are two sides to every story .

infanteer-it said:
. Whether or not Ms. Howell had/has the fortitude to be in the military, her injury was misdiagnosed by an apathetic medical staff and now she is paying the price of being handicapped for the rest of her life with nothing to show for it.

..and you know this how??              Oh, because she said so.                   

Well I always say I'm an aging sex-god......................

I remember doing Basic Training at Cornwallis back in '88 at 18 years old, and finding the PT pretty hard. We had a 28 year old guy on my Battle School course we called "Pappy" since he was 10 years older than all of us. Nowadays we have 50 year old privates showing up at some units (I've seen a few here at Comox), so there is no way that the PT is as hard as it could/should be. Not to mention that a good number of the young privates I see around here are 30+ pounds overweight and look totally out of shape. We can make fun of the US military for allowing known gang members to serve, but we are getting damn near to scraping the bottom of the barrel ourselves.

Jimmy4Now said:
And if they were done after the fitness testing was dropped, to partake in the training, they would have had to have passed the EXPRES test.  So I am not sure the first sentence in your post would effectively address the issue.  Thoughts?

Well, maybe raising the standards fro the ExPres is a good idea.  I've seen people meet the minimum who are not in good shape.

PMedMoe said:
Well, maybe raising the standards fro the ExPres is a good idea.  I've seen people meet the minimum who are not in good shape.

Very true, but the standards could be raised, but I think a big part of the problem is that they don't STICK to the standards. Agreed, failing the ExPres in the first week of course shouldn't get you booted from course, but I saw OCdts fail time and time again, and STILL get shipped off to RMC where they continue to fail PT tests. It seems that if you fail the cardio portion (beep test) it has repercussions such as recourse or RFT, but the strength portion you can try over and over again. One OCdt after numerous (3, I think) retests, was passed and sent to RMC anyways where they proceeded to do ONE pushup.
    I don't know if anyone else has seen this problem, but it seems to me that the standards are reasonable, but very, very flexible.

Back