• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Informing the Army’s Future Structure

I don’t know what you mean by “getting people trained”?
5 Brigade usually runs trial courses for troops going on courses such as ARP and UO. This leads to a much better ratio of troops getting qualified compared to 1 CBMG or more specifically PPCLI which treats every course like selection, has half the troops fail at least, and then throws their hands up and say "don't worry we will show you how to do this back in battalion". I mean just look at BRP which is just a pricey version of CSOR selection for a recce platoon in a battalion which in itself is superfluous in a battlegroup that will have an armored recce squadron with actual sensors. But as I have said before thank God every battalion will have a sniper and recce platoon instead of anti-tank or mortars..../s

5 Brigade usually runs trial courses for troops going on courses such as ARP and UO. This leads to a much better ratio of troops getting qualified compared to 1 CBMG or more specifically PPCLI which treats every course like selection, has half the troops fail at least, and then throws their hands up and say "don't worry we will show you how to do this back in battalion". I mean just look at BRP which is just a pricey version of CSOR selection for a recce platoon in a battalion which in itself is superfluous in a battlegroup that will have an armored recce squadron with actual sensors. But as I have said before thank God every battalion will have a sniper and recce platoon instead of anti-tank or mortars..../s
I’ve never met a guy who failed UOI lol, or didn’t make ARP if they got picked up for it. Frankly I don’t know that I’ve seen a lot that says 5 Bde is inherently better at sending people of courses. What I can say is that when you have a section of people getting taught at a much lower instructor student ratio they will naturally do better that the aggregate for the course all things being equal.

If you don’t get the difference between what an infantry recce platoon does vs a Bde recce Sqn there’s some books I could suggest to cover that off. Rodger on the BRP having gotten a bit nuts, it’s really not a course so much as it’s a try out for the platoon. And hey, we got mortars back…. Just some are held by reservists.

Light Infantry Anti-Tank. - Hellfire and Brimstone repurposed from coastal defence targets to land targets.

We have been talking a lot about NLAWs (800m), Javelins (5km), Spike NLOS (32km), Switchblade 600 (40 km), and Hero-120 (60km),

NLAW is an M72 upgrade and replacement.
Javelin is a Milan upgrade and replacement
Spike, Switchblade and Hero are all new systems that add a new capability.

TOW needs a separate replacement. The original replacement was the Hellfire. That has gone through a number of mods over the years and has generated Longbow, Brimstones, SPEARS and SeaSPEARS.

1666456846429.png1666456956307.png1666457046782.png
1666457246774.png 1666457342288.png
1666457506973.png1666457528706.png1666457589810.png
1666457668594.png1666457704262.png

Hellfire 7 to 9 km
Brimstone 8 to 60 km (platform and variant dependent)
SPEAR 140 km (in development)
SPEAR-EW (in development)

6 to 10 kg warhead depending on variant.

Not an anti-armour missile - a multipurpose missile that could be added to army, navy and air force inventories and always be guaranteed to be available in support.

It could be ubiquitous.

I've read documents and reports that indicate two is easier to control, and actually more effective. A Division doesn't need an entire brigade for reserve, it needs a Bn max, if not a Cbt Tm.
Going to a two Brigade Division opens some interesting possibilities for the CA.

Here's something we could roughly put together using existing units to create a Canadianized two Brigade Mechanized Division roughly mirroring the US Army's Waypoint 2028 Heavy Division and leaving a Light Infantry Brigade as foundation for a three Brigade Light Division.

2022.10 - 2 Brigade Division.png

Going to a US-style 14 tank Squadron would even allow us to have both a full Tank Regiment in our Combined Arms Brigade plus a tank Squadron in each of the Cavalry Regiments in our Mechanized Division.

The Canadian Combat Support Brigade is already roughly similar to the US Army's proposed Protection Brigades so with some adjustment could fill that role.

The Division Sustainment Brigade is something that we currently don't have an equivalent of in our Divisional structure so that is something we'd have to create out of our existing CSS structures.

Obviously there are key pieces of kit missing, but a number of them are potentially in the works.

The Light Infantry Brigade, in addition to being the core of a Light Division going forward could also be a Canadian IBCT contribution to an American Light Division (11th Airborne for example)

There are a lot of issues to be worked out in order to make the Reserves an effective mobilization force so I've only laid out an aspirational structure to aim for for now. Existing Reserve units can begin to be plugged into the new structure, but I'd suggest that the first priority should be to get the Reg Force straightened out, then we can begin to make Reg/Reserve manning adjustments as they begin to make sense on a unit-by-unit (and trade-by-trade) basis.

Going to a two Brigade Division opens some interesting possibilities for the CA.

Here's something we could roughly put together using existing units to create a Canadianized two Brigade Mechanized Division roughly mirroring the US Army's Waypoint 2028 Heavy Division and leaving a Light Infantry Brigade as foundation for a three Brigade Light Division.

View attachment 74403

Going to a US-style 14 tank Squadron would even allow us to have both a full Tank Regiment in our Combined Arms Brigade plus a tank Squadron in each of the Cavalry Regiments in our Mechanized Division.

The Canadian Combat Support Brigade is already roughly similar to the US Army's proposed Protection Brigades so with some adjustment could fill that role.

The Division Sustainment Brigade is something that we currently don't have an equivalent of in our Divisional structure so that is something we'd have to create out of our existing CSS structures.

Obviously there are key pieces of kit missing, but a number of them are potentially in the works.

The Light Infantry Brigade, in addition to being the core of a Light Division going forward could also be a Canadian IBCT contribution to an American Light Division (11th Airborne for example)

There are a lot of issues to be worked out in order to make the Reserves an effective mobilization force so I've only laid out an aspirational structure to aim for for now. Existing Reserve units can begin to be plugged into the new structure, but I'd suggest that the first priority should be to get the Reg Force straightened out, then we can begin to make Reg/Reserve manning adjustments as they begin to make sense on a unit-by-unit (and trade-by-trade) basis.

I like that a lot. You have a functional force staffed entirely within the existing envelope, one that can be modified to suit operations (eg swapping the armoured brigade for the light brigade if necessary), and it leaves the Reserve Force with a guiding element and an opportunity to sort itself out.

Light Infantry Anti-Tank. - Hellfire and Brimstone repurposed from coastal defence targets to land targets.

We have been talking a lot about NLAWs (800m), Javelins (5km), Spike NLOS (32km), Switchblade 600 (40 km), and Hero-120 (60km),

NLAW is an M72 upgrade and replacement.
Javelin is a Milan upgrade and replacement
Spike, Switchblade and Hero are all new systems that add a new capability.

TOW needs a separate replacement. The original replacement was the Hellfire. That has gone through a number of mods over the years and has generated Longbow, Brimstones, SPEARS and SeaSPEARS.

View attachment 74385View attachment 74386View attachment 74387
View attachment 74388 View attachment 74389
View attachment 74390View attachment 74391View attachment 74392
View attachment 74393View attachment 74394

Hellfire 7 to 9 km
Brimstone 8 to 60 km (platform and variant dependent)
SPEAR 140 km (in development)
SPEAR-EW (in development)

6 to 10 kg warhead depending on variant.

Not an anti-armour missile - a multipurpose missile that could be added to army, navy and air force inventories and always be guaranteed to be available in support.

It could be ubiquitous.

Forgot entirely about

Lockheed Martin was awarded a $66 million engineering and manufacturing contract to combine its laser and millimeter wave seekers into the Hellfire Romeo missile body. Raytheon chose not to compete but retains its tri-mode seeker should the Army request it.[16]

The designation AGM-179 was assigned to the JAGM program.[17] A Low-Rate Initial Production (LRIP) contract for JAGM was approved in 2018.[18] The AGM-179A achieved Initial Operational Capability (IOC) with USMC AH-1Z helicopters in early 2022, clearing the weapon for operational deployment.[19]

On 30 August 2022, the JAGM was declared ready for full-rate production. 1,000 missiles had been produced by February 2022, manufacturing at the minimum sustainment rate under low-rate production. Improvements to the JAGM are being developed, such as a medium-range variant with a range of 16 km (9.9 mi) without changing the missile's dimensions.[20]

View attachment 74403

In terms of adding heft to this force my priorities would be:

GBAD for the Artillery - suite of capabilities TBD (C-RAM, C-UAS, M-SHORAD, VSHORAD, SHORAD, MRAD, ManPADs)
LRPF for the Artillery - HIMARS and NSMs
AMOS mortars for the Tank Squadrons (4 each) and for the LAV Battalions (8 each)
JLTV/ISV/UGV/BvS10 (TBD) mounted 120mm mortars for the Light Battalions (8 each)
WSPH 155 batteries to support the Mech Division - M777s relegated to the Light Division.

Anti-Tank Capabilities.

70mm APKWS for Light battalions
Javelins for the Light and LAV Battalions (both mounted and dismounted CLUs)
Tank Squadrons and LAV Battalions to be supported by Artillery Anti-Tank Batteries
Anti-tank batteries - suite of capabilities TBD (Hellfire, Brimstone, SPEAR, JAGM, Switchblade 600, Hero-120, Spike N-LOS etc)

Light Division to be equipped with

Milverados
ISVs
JLTVs
BvS10s
UGVs
MSVS-MilCOTS

Helicopters and UAVs TBD.

Agreed -- I was just doing a terrain assessment - and while Souther Ontario offers some good Mech terrain - there doesn't appear to be anywhere to stick a Bde with a training area (I'm pretty much dead set those are a requirement).

Again, without a real training area, I don't see the viability of those bases.
One basically need to push towards the Bruce Peninsula to find open land - without significant expropriation costs) The population density is significant though - and I see potential for a 30/70 Bn to be based at Meaford - and have that area with offshoot Platoons
Perhaps Borden could be set up as an Urban Warfare Training Centre? Doesn't take up as much geography as a mechanized training area so could possibly be established without any additional land appropriation required.

Lots of Reserve units in the GTA within 2 hours of Borden and Meaford isn't much farther. Meaford can be used as the "traditional" training area for a GTA Reserve IBCT with Borden having the Urban Warfare Centre. CFSEME is at Borden so if there are vehicles required for the facility they can be maintained by Reg Force techs (facilities are there...dedicated staff added to cover the workload).

We seem to worry about Torontonians being able to make it to training areas in Southern Ontario.

Those same Torontonians seem to have no problems, in the middle of February, making it to Collingwood to go skiing. Or to Wasaga Beach in the Summer.

View attachment 74403

I like the concept model. The weapon allocation thing doesn't matter as for any kind of napkin force one needs to stay weapon agnostic while providing for entities in the establishment that can go in any direction on weapon systems as long as the primary doctrinal fundamentals are maintained.

It's an easy model to switch to from our current one.

My real divergence from this is that the heavy force is principally full-time while the light force is principally part-time. That's acceptable (perhaps even necessary) with the current state of our RegF and ResF. The goal, IMHO however, is that it should be a transitional model that sets the conditions for the ResF being the one which is less likely to be required day to day, while the RegF is the one that is required to be used day to day. Essentially that means that heavy forces will be ResF and light to medium and complex and specialized units be RegF.

Such a model needs more than a mere reshuffle of existing resources, but also a built in method to transition the Army to be capable of operating and deploying a heavy force which is predominantly ResF.

Just an add on. I can see the heavy division requiring the support brigades to facilitate deploying as a division. Will the light division, however, deploy as a division? My guess is not which means that it needs a different support structure than that of a deployable division. It needs a structure that facilitates the deployment of smaller elements and, perhaps, several concurrently.

🍻

I like the concept model. The weapon allocation thing doesn't matter as for any kind of napkin force one needs to stay weapon agnostic while providing for entities in the establishment that can go in any direction on weapon systems as long as the primary doctrinal fundamentals are maintained.

It's an easy model to switch to from our current one.

My real divergence from this is that the heavy force is principally full-time while the light force is principally part-time. That's acceptable (perhaps even necessary) with the current state of our RegF and ResF. The goal, IMHO however, is that it should be a transitional model that sets the conditions for the ResF being the one which is less likely to be required day to day, while the RegF is the one that is required to be used day to day. Essentially that means that heavy forces will be ResF and light to medium and complex and specialized units be RegF.

Such a model needs more than a mere reshuffle of existing resources, but also a built in method to transition the Army to be capable of operating and deploying a heavy force which is predominantly ResF.
We're in agreement that what I presented is a possible 1st step, not the final destination with regard to Reg Force/Reserve Force manning. The ultimate goal is like you say to reverse the existing Reg Force - Heavy, Reserve Force - Light capabilities, but we need to start from where we already are.

In addition to changes to the way the Reserves operate and train there may also be changes to where units are located (both Reg Force and Reserve) to make sure that units have the required technical support available nearby and also that units have a large enough pool of Reservists to draw from to fill their required part-time positions. Once we have the basic force structure in place we can look as I said unit-by-unit, trade-by-trade to begin making the changes required to achieve the end goal.

Just an add on. I can see the heavy division requiring the support brigades to facilitate deploying as a division. Will the light division, however, deploy as a division? My guess is not which means that it needs a different support structure than that of a deployable division. It needs a structure that facilitates the deployment of smaller elements and, perhaps, several concurrently.

🍻
Good point. But while the Light Division might not be expected to be deployable you will likely want the support structure to at lease mirror as much as possible the Heavy Division support structure in order to provide for augmentation/loss replacement for the deployed Division.

Canada's Army ???

Subject to revision - my current estimate of the existing situation.

Let me know of my errors (as if I need to ask...)

5 LAV Battalions of 3 Companies = 15 Companies - My understanding is that we are just short of 6 Battalions of LAVs, the 6th Battalion was supposed to be the CCVs

3 MBT Squadrons of 20 Leos

6 Batteries of 6 M777s

24 FOO/FAC teams

1666741267736.png

ISTAR Assets?

5 Infantry Recce Platoons of 10x TAPV

5 Armoured Recce Squadrons of 3 Troops with 5x TAPV, 3x LRSS and 1x MUAV Ground Control Station with 3 Ravens

5 Artillery HALO Tps

5 Artillery LCMR Tps

1 Artillery SUAV Battery with 2 Ground Control Stations and 5 Blackjack SUAV

1666741886736.png

5 Armoured Recce Squadrons of 3 Troops with 5x TAPV, 3x LRSS and 1x MUAV Ground Control Station with 3 Ravens

Keep in mind there are currently 82 MBTs and those are all in play moving forward.
A big thing that people don't seem to be mentioning here is that the housing and infrastructure for these vehicles is a big deal. We only have realistically space for 4 squadrons atm and that's split evenly between Edm/Wx and GT.
Additionally, I believe that plan is to supplement the LRSS LAVs with infantry carriers so you actually only have about 4 battalions to play with.

Just a quick update but note my info is based on 2010 data which I do not think has changed dramatically except for 4 RCA (GS) below.

1) There are three field regiments (1 and 2 RCHA and 5 RALC) each of which has:

a) 1 x Bde level FSCC with 1 x LAV + 3 x CP (M777 or Bison or other) (for a total of 3 teams for the CA)

b) 3 x Battle group FSCCs with 1 x LAV + 1 x LAV OPV each (for a total of 9 teams for the CA)

c) 9 x FOO/JTAC teams with 1 X LAV OPV each (for a total of 27 for the CA)

d) 2 x M777 gun batteries of 4 guns each (for a total of 8 per regiment and 24 for the CA)

e) 1 x STA Bty with

e.1) 1 x Surveillance and Target Acquisition Control centre (for a total of three for the CA)

e.1) 1 x Weapon Locating troop with 3 x LCMR and 1 x AWLS (for a total of 9 x LCMR + 3 x AWLS for the CA)

e.2) 2 x MUAV troops with 3 x drone detachments each (for a total of 6 per regiment and 18 for the CA)

Note - LCMR = Light Counter Mortar Radar; AWLS=Acoustic Weapon Locating System

Note - equipment holdings are for within units , additional holding for some equip exists at the school and as spares.

2) There is one General Support Regiment (4 RCS(GS)) which has:

f) the ability to provide above brigade level FSCC, DADC and STACC capabilities

g) 3 x Batteries - which can deploy various mix and matched elements but as of 2021 have areas of focus as follows:

g.1) 127 Bty - Air Defence and Tactical Data Links + Airspace Coordination Centres (for a total of three for the CA)

g.2) 128 Bty - 10 x Medium range radars

g.3) 129 Bty - SUAV10 x Medium Range Radar 2 control centres and 10 x SUAV Blackjack including ISTARCC and STACC capabilities

I'm not 100% up on the current status of all the above and stand to be corrected.

🍻

Just a quick update but note my info is based on 2010 data which I do not think has changed dramatically except for 4 RCA (GS) below.

1) There are three field regiments (1 and 2 RCHA and 5 RALC) each of which has:

a) 1 x Bde level FSCC with 1 x LAV + 3 x CP (M777 or Bison or other) (for a total of 3 teams for the CA)

b) 3 x Battle group FSCCs with 1 x LAV + 1 x LAV OPV each (for a total of 9 teams for the CA)

c) 9 x FOO/JTAC teams with 1 X LAV OPV each (for a total of 27 for the CA)

d) 2 x M777 gun batteries of 4 guns each (for a total of 8 per regiment and 24 for the CA)

e) 1 x STA Bty with

e.1) 1 x Surveillance and Target Acquisition Control centre (for a total of three for the CA)

e.1) 1 x Weapon Locating troop with 3 x LCMR and 1 x AWLS (for a total of 9 x LCMR + 3 x AWLS for the CA)

e.2) 2 x MUAV troops with 3 x drone detachments each (for a total of 6 per regiment and 18 for the CA)

Note - LCMR = Light Counter Mortar Radar; AWLS=Acoustic Weapon Locating System

Note - equipment holdings are for within units , additional holding for some equip exists at the school and as spares.

2) There is one General Support Regiment (4 RCS(GS)) which has:

f) the ability to provide above brigade level FSCC, DADC and STACC capabilities

g) 3 x Batteries - which can deploy various mix and matched elements but as of 2021 have areas of focus as follows:

g.1) 127 Bty - Air Defence and Tactical Data Links + Airspace Coordination Centres (for a total of three for the CA)

g.2) 128 Bty - 10 x Medium range radars

g.3) 129 Bty - SUAV10 x Medium Range Radar 2 control centres and 10 x SUAV Blackjack including ISTARCC and STACC capabilities

I'm not 100% up on the current status of all the above and stand to be corrected.

🍻

The incredible shrinking field force....

Thanks FJAG.

Canada's Army - next attempt

1st Revision

Again, let me know of my errors

6 LAV Battalions of 2 Companies and a Recce Platoon = 12 Companies + 6 Platoons

6 Batteries of 4 M777s

1666766092876.png

ISTAR Assets?

5 Armoured Recce Squadrons of 3 Troops with 5x LAV, 3x LRSS and 1x MUAV Ground Control Station with 3 Ravens

27 Artillery FOO/FAC Teams in LAV-OPVs - 9 per Regiment

3 Weapons Locating Troops with 3x LCMR and 1x AWLS each - 1 Troop per Regiment

6 MUAV Troops with 3 UAV each - 2 Troops per Regiment

1 Artillery MRR Radar Battery with 10 Radar Systems - General Support

1 Artillery SUAV Battery with 2 Ground Control Stations and 5 Blackjack SUAV - General Support

1666766165853.png

The purpose of the exercise is to try and get all the primary assets "on parade" if you will. Engineers, EW and CSS to follow. Intentionally leaving C2 nodes to the side. They can continue promenading for a while yet.

Like I said it would appear that even though there has been consideration of a squadron of tanks for training as well as about 100 LAVs set aside as well bit no2 it would appear that all equipment is on the table to be pushed out to the field force with in house training going on at the unit level in order to try to meet NATO remits. Or at least for the more limited pieces such as the AEV, ARV, M777, and MBTs.

An idea for the recon squadrons might be to adopt a larger US style formation with 2 (6 Car LSRR) platoons, 2 (4 Crew Carrier) platoons with dismounts, and a dismounted recce platoon like you would find in an infantry battalion. We actually only need a squadron for each infantry battalion per doctrine and so would need 6 squadrons.

Last edited:
Back