• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Informing the Army’s Future Structure

Okay. Another cut at the Army's Future Force Structure. I call this one Force 2026 to be different.

Notes:
  1. All brigades and units are still based on existing CA personnel counts (RegF and ResF) and equipment holdings (except a HIMARS and AD Arty regiment which are aspirational as far as equipment is concerned and will continue to be equipped with 105mm C3 until new equipment procured)
  2. 1 (CA) Div has one job and one job only - NATO commitment to Europe during Phase 1 (current equipment holdings) with a flyover armoured brigade and during Phase 2 (new equipment procured) up to a mech division.
  3. 2 (CA) Div is responsible for defence of Canada and being the lead on all other missions at up to battle group strength.
  4. Rather than classifying units by readiness levels, they are classified by manning and equipment holdings. e.g. a Type 30/70 unit or subunit has a 30% RegF manning and 70% ResF manning and holds 30% of that unit's equipment. Typically a 30/70 Bn would have 1 x 100/0 fully equipped and RegF manned company and 2 x 10/90 partially equipped companies with a 70/30 Bn HQ, and 30/70 CS Coy and CSS Coy.
  5. From it's own resources, 1 (CA) Div can immediately man 1 complete fully equipped Armd brigade in Canada as well as 1 complete fully equipped prepositioned Armd brigade in Europe.
  6. 2 (CA) Div forms all Canadian JTF headquarters based on 39 Bde Victoria (JTF West - BC, AB, SK & NT), 2 Bde Petawawa (JTF West Central - MB, ON & NU), 5 Bde Valcartier (JTF East Central - QC) and 36 Bde Halifax (JTF East - NS, NB, PE, & NL), Cdn RGR groups are placed under command of these four Bde/JTF headquarters.
  7. 2 (CA) Div no longer has any Mech bns, however each Type 100/0 or 30/70 recce regt or inf bn has an integral ground mobility platoon/troop or company/squadron with varying types of vehicles (including up to TAPV and LAV6) depending on role and therefore has some limited mech capabilities (appx 6 companies and 3-4 squadrons worth in total).
  8. A small Depot Bn has been added to Vancouver
00 CA 1.6.png

🍻

Okay. Another cut at the Army's Future Force Structure. I call this one Force 2026 to be different.

Notes:
  1. All brigades and units are still based on existing CA personnel counts (RegF and ResF) and equipment holdings (except a HIMARS and AD Arty regiment which are aspirational as far as equipment is concerned and will continue to be equipped with 105mm C3 until new equipment procured)
  2. 1 (CA) Div has one job and one job only - NATO commitment to Europe during Phase 1 (current equipment holdings) with a flyover armoured brigade and during Phase 2 (new equipment procured) up to a mech division.
  3. 2 (CA) Div is responsible for defence of Canada and being the lead on all other missions at up to battle group strength.
  4. Rather than classifying units by readiness levels, they are classified by manning and equipment holdings. e.g. a Type 30/70 unit or subunit has a 30% RegF manning and 70% ResF manning and holds 30% of that unit's equipment. Typically a 30/70 Bn would have 1 x 100/0 fully equipped and RegF manned company and 2 x 10/90 partially equipped companies with a 70/30 Bn HQ, and 30/70 CS Coy and CSS Coy.
  5. From it's own resources, 1 (CA) Div can immediately man 1 complete fully equipped Armd brigade in Canada as well as 1 complete fully equipped prepositioned Armd brigade in Europe.
  6. 2 (CA) Div forms all Canadian JTF headquarters based on 39 Bde Victoria (JTF West - BC, AB, SK & NT), 2 Bde Petawawa (JTF West Central - MB, ON & NU), 5 Bde Valcartier (JTF East Central - QC) and 36 Bde Halifax (JTF East - NS, NB, PE, & NL), Cdn RGR groups are placed under command of these four Bde/JTF headquarters.
  7. 2 (CA) Div no longer has any Mech bns, however each Type 100/0 or 30/70 recce regt or inf bn has an integral ground mobility platoon/troop or company/squadron with varying types of vehicles (including up to TAPV and LAV6) depending on role and therefore has some limited mech capabilities (appx 6 companies and 3-4 squadrons worth in total).
View attachment 74541

🍻

Victoria? Who's she?

Metro Vancouver projected to add more than 1 million residents by 2050, according to planners​

You want the Light Bns to run around with LTDs for precision rockets ?

If you mean these then absolutely. At the platoon or company level certainly.

1667148718718.png

The US-made An/PEQ-1 SOF Laser Marker (SOFLAM) is a hand-held LTD in use with UKSF.

Just as I expect them to be running around with these at the section and platoon levels for Javelins and Stingers.

1667148892212.png

40mm Pike

1667148983484.png

70mm APKWS

1667149185205.png

84mm Guided Mulitpurpose Munition (CG-84 and AT4)

1667149393003.png

And that is just coy/battalion systems that could be targeted. Forget what the RCAC, the RRCA, the RCAF and the RCN could deliver in support of the Light Company.

The rifleman and machine gunner are the protection detail for the targeter.

Oh man, you just dropped a big turd in the political pond of BC military leadership ;)
It shouldn't. In my perfect world all the senior leadership in 39 Bde will become RegF anyway. 100% of all ResF LCols and above positions will become redundant.

:giggle:

Forgot one

Also expect them to be running around with these

40mm Quadcopter UAS by DefendTek - hand launched or launched from an M203, armed or purely recce.

1667149863995.png

If you mean these then absolutely. At the platoon or company level certainly.

View attachment 74543

The US-made An/PEQ-1 SOF Laser Marker (SOFLAM) is a hand-held LTD in use with UKSF.

Just as I expect them to be running around with these at the section and platoon levels for Javelins and Stingers.

View attachment 74546

40mm Pike

View attachment 74547

70mm APKWS

View attachment 74549

84mm Guided Mulitpurpose Munition (CG-84 and AT4)

View attachment 74550

And that is just coy/battalion systems that could be targeted. Forget what the RCAC, the RRCA, the RCAF and the RCN could deliver in support of the Light Company.

The rifleman and machine gunner are the protection detail for the targeter.
That’s what I mean yes. I cannot imagine that going well at all if every platoon is trying to set up an LTD and using it. I know what APKWS is and what it does, it’s realllllly not meant to do what you’re suggesting it could be used for.

I realized how clipped my response probably sounded. Suffice it to say there are limitations to laser designation and guidance that make it sub optimal for employment by elements that should be engaged in the close fight. Particularly under spill and the inability to ensure weapon deployment at correct angles to avoid acquisition of the emitter vs the tgt.

Last bit “hand held” is a misnomer, those are employed off a tripod, or should be.

Last edited:
That’s what I mean yes. I cannot imagine that going well at all if every platoon is trying to set up an LTD and using it. I know what APKWS is and what it does, it’s realllllly not meant to do what you’re suggesting it could be used for.

1667161701311.png

The Assistant Squad Leader​

The old Marine Rifle Squad often used an assistant squad leader in the form of the first fire team leader, who is traditionally the most experienced and trusted among the fire team heads. A dedicated assistant squad leader ensures the fire teams all have adequate leadership without tacking a second job onto any of their responsibilities.

At the same time, the assistant squad leader can accomplish mission-critical tasks that could take away from the squad leader’s ability to control his squad in combat. Specifically, the assistant squad leader can now manage comms with command and manage and coordinate fires, leaving the squad leader to focus on the fight. Coordinating fires means communicating to relay target information and friendly positions for artillery, mortar, and air strikes, among others. These tasks are essential in a fight, but can take away from a squad leader’s situational awareness, and as a result, their ability to lead their squad.

I remember that in the midst of a rather intense firefight, our command was constantly wanting an update from our squad leader. They called over and over as he worked to manage covering fire and maneuver elements against an emplaced enemy. I can’t remember his exact words to higher, but it was something like, “I’m shooting people right now. I’ll call you back later.

The assistant squad leader can now manage these tasks and others on the squad leader’s behalf. If I was a squad leader, my assistant would be helping to complete a variety of combat and logistical tasks like medical evacs, tactical sight exploitation, and POW handling. At the same time, the assistant squad leader will be receiving valuable training for a future role as a squad leader themselves.

The Marine Systems Operator​

As we step into modern warfare, we are seeing the implementation of modern electronic systems that can greatly benefit the guys on the ground. The newly created position of Marine Systems Operator replaces the position of radio Marine. While the System operator will be tasked with carrying the squad’s radio, they will expand into other systems as well.

This includes the use of quadcopter-based reconnaissance devices. These small ‘drones’ allow a Marine squad to enhance their situational awareness with discretion. It promises to be the new eyes of the squad leader and enhance their capabilities in urban warfare by providing an overhead view of the battlespace that wasn’t previously available at the squad level. This stealthy tool can spot threats ahead of time and provide general recon without risking members of the Marine rifle squad.

It seems to me in that envisioned environment adding an LTD to the Asst Squad Leader's bag of tricks would have a significant effect on fire support.

How many LTDs are found in armoured units? One per Squadron, Troop or vehicle? Of is it only the FOOs that have them? But the Asst Squad Leader is now, effectively and explicitly a Forward Observer.

View attachment 74554

It seems to me in that envisioned environment adding an LTD to the Asst Squad Leader's bag of tricks would have a significant effect on fire support.

How many LTDs are found in armoured units? One per Squadron, Troop or vehicle? Of is it only the FOOs that have them? But the Asst Squad Leader is now, effectively and explicitly a Forward Observer.
LTDs are used by the JTACs at combat team level. I’d be curious to know the JFO trained Asst Squad Leaders will be expect to actually do and what they’ll be carrying. I’m not sure how much laser guided ordnance is being deployed from a ship or marine artillery since HIMARS and the like are gps guided.

Further to my previous.

Yeah Brandon’s great and everything buts he’s a graphic design grad in Australia not a defence expert. So large grains of salt are to be had with his stuff, especially with the how’s and why’s of modern stuff.

Notes:
View attachment 74541

🍻
Where I struggle with most attempts at integrated force structures is Geography vs Population.

You have a 30/70 Armoured Brigade in Edmonton. With 1 x 100% Reg Force Company/Squadron per Battalion/Regiment that leaves 4 x Mech Companies and 2 x Tank Squadrons to be manned 90% by Reservists (plus 2 x CS and 3 x CSS Companies to be 70% Reservists). 41 Brigade in Alberta only has 2 x Infantry and 2 x Armoured Reserve units. Even drawing in the Saskatchewan Reserve units you're only adding 1 x Armoured and 2 x Infantry units but the travel distances required to train with their parent units in Edmonton are impractical.

Your Toronto and Montreal Armoured Brigades have the opposite problems. There are plenty of Reservists available in these large metro areas, but what training facilities are there that can handle a Mechanized Brigade?

By moving our training areas away from our population centres we've created a situation where it is very difficult to achieve your objective Heavy forces being largely manned by Reservists. I totally understand the goal, but not sure I see a doable path toward it at this point in time.

Where I struggle with most attempts at integrated force structures is Geography vs Population.

You have a 30/70 Armoured Brigade in Edmonton. With 1 x 100% Reg Force Company/Squadron per Battalion/Regiment that leaves 4 x Mech Companies and 2 x Tank Squadrons to be manned 90% by Reservists (plus 2 x CS and 3 x CSS Companies to be 70% Reservists). 41 Brigade in Alberta only has 2 x Infantry and 2 x Armoured Reserve units. Even drawing in the Saskatchewan Reserve units you're only adding 1 x Armoured and 2 x Infantry units but the travel distances required to train with their parent units in Edmonton are impractical.

Your Toronto and Montreal Armoured Brigades have the opposite problems. There are plenty of Reservists available in these large metro areas, but what training facilities are there that can handle a Mechanized Brigade?

By moving our training areas away from our population centres we've created a situation where it is very difficult to achieve your objective Heavy forces being largely manned by Reservists. I totally understand the goal, but not sure I see a doable path toward it at this point in time.
Let’s not draw to much from how many reserve units are in a given province. Alberta might just have the most sensible distribution of reserve units in the country. Number of reserve units is not the same thing as number of reservists. See Winnipeg vs Edmonton.

Let’s not draw to much from how many reserve units are in a given province. Alberta might just have the most sensible distribution of reserve units in the country. Number of reserve units is not the same thing as number of reservists. See Winnipeg vs Edmonton.
But the question is are there enough combat arms reservists in Alberta to generate 4 x 90% Mech Companies, 2 x 90% Tank Squadrons, 2 x 90%
Armoured Recce Squadrons, 2 x 70% CS Companies (4 if the Tank and Armoured Recce Regiments are to have CS Squadrons) and 4 x 70% CSS Companies?

Yeah Brandon’s great and everything buts he’s a graphic design grad in Australia not a defence expert. So large grains of salt are to be had with his stuff, especially with the how’s and why’s of modern stuff.

The thing is - that is not the only source I have seen describe the Asst Sqd Ldr as a Forward Observer.

As to munitions?

Stuff carried by F35s (Small Diameter Bombs and Paveway).
Ground Launched Small Diameter Bombs launched by HIMARS.
Joint Air Ground Munitions replacing TOWs, Hellfires, Brimstones and Longbows
70mm APKWS
Vulcano 155mm, 127mm and 76mm artillery rounds
With experimental work being done with 40mm, 82mm and 120mm rounds.

The thing is - that is not the only source I have seen describe the Asst Sqd Ldr as a Forward Observer.

As to munitions?

Stuff carried by F35s (Small Diameter Bombs and Paveway).
Ground Launched Small Diameter Bombs launched by HIMARS.
Joint Air Ground Munitions replacing TOWs, Hellfires, Brimstones and Longbows
70mm APKWS
Vulcano 155mm, 127mm and 76mm artillery rounds
With experimental work being done with 40mm, 82mm and 120mm rounds.
That’s fine, it’s also not what I was talking about. JFO does not mean in and of itself your carrying an LTD.

Notes:
View attachment 74541

🍻

I've got to say I am still struggling with the notion of Mixed Units. 90/10-70/30-50/50-30/70-10/90. I just think that terms of service and geography both work against the concept.

I think I prefer a small, ready, deployable full-time force and a 10/90 reserve with a Reg Force Cadre responsible for ensuring that the Reserves can supply competent sub-units.

Back