• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Informing the Army’s Future Structure

Nothing that the CAF couldn’t adjust* with a 6-week long ATV operator course…

* sure you can fly an $83M helicopter, but you can’t drive a JD Gator…
I think mine was 2 days in Canada, after I had used them in Afghanistan :rolleyes:
It probably made me dumber, as it had a road test complete with cones etc -- as opposed to safe operation off-road etc, the way the old (maybe still run) Dispatch Rider Motorcycle course was done.

Given some discussion about Canada being asked to supply/lead a "Heavy" Division I took another look at what the British lead "Heavy" Division looked like and asked how close we were to it.

Maybe it isn't so far out of our grasp. The Brits are building their Brigade out of two "mechanized" brigades with Boxers (WAPCs), Challengers and AJAX/CV90s (depending on what they decide to do with the AJAXs), and a Deep Strike Recce Bde with Rockets, L52 Cannons and ISR assets including Cavalry.

3 UK Armd Div
MI Bn
7 Sigs Gp
Sigs RgtSigs RgtSigs Rgt
101 Op Sust Bde
REME Rgt
Log RgtLog Rgt
25 CS Eng Gp
Close SptClose Spt
Force Spt
7 AD Gp
SRAD
MRAD
1 Deep Recce Strike BCT
REME
Armd CavLt CavArmd Cav
Close SptSTAClose Spt
Deep FiresDeep Fires
12 BCT20BCT
Spt GpSpt Gp
Log RgtLog Rgt
Med RgtMed Rgt
REME BnREME Bn
Armd CavArmd Cav
Mech InfMech InfMech InfMech InfMech Inf
ArmdArmd

A preliminary in-fill of the structure with Canadian units

1 Cdn Div
MI Bn
Sigs Gp
Sigs RgtSigs RgtSigs Rgt
101 Op Sust Bde
REME Rgt
Log RgtLog Rgt
CS Eng Gp
2 CER4 ESR5 CER
AD Gp
SRAD
MRAD
1 DRSB
1 Svc Bn
1 PPCLILdSH(RC)2 PPCLI
2 RCHA4(GS) RCA5 RALC
1 RCHA
2 CMB5 CMB
2 Svc Bn5 Svc Bn
RCD12 RBC
1 RCR2 RCR1 R22R2 R22R

We are long on Infantry (3 RCR, PPCLI and R22R)
We are even on Arty (Need to radically re-equip though)
We are short on Cavalry (Need to re-role 1 and 2 PPCLI at least)
We are very short on Support (Sigs, REME, Med and LOG ) - They deploy battalions where we deploy companies
And Air Defence is Absent

There is a lot of other capabilities that can be added to that basic structure but we could approximate the basic structure with what we have.
Need to make up some of the deficiencies from all of the light battalions.

Our Mech Bns could become CA Bns by adding a 14 Tank Squadron to each battalion along with a LRATGM Troop for Armoured Defence.

We might just could maybe put together something broadly similar to the Div if we squinted real hard and held our tongue right.

Given some discussion about Canada being asked to supply/lead a "Heavy" Division I took another look at what the British lead "Heavy" Division looked like and asked how close we were to it.

Maybe it isn't so far out of our grasp. The Brits are building their Brigade out of two "mechanized" brigades with Boxers (WAPCs), Challengers and AJAX/CV90s (depending on what they decide to do with the AJAXs), and a Deep Strike Recce Bde with Rockets, L52 Cannons and ISR assets including Cavalry.

3 UK Armd Div
MI Bn
7 Sigs Gp
Sigs RgtSigs RgtSigs Rgt
101 Op Sust Bde
REME Rgt
Log RgtLog Rgt
25 CS Eng Gp
Close SptClose Spt
Force Spt
7 AD Gp
SRAD
MRAD
1 Deep Recce Strike BCT
REME
Armd CavLt CavArmd Cav
Close SptSTAClose Spt
Deep FiresDeep Fires
12 BCT20BCT
Spt GpSpt Gp
Log RgtLog Rgt
Med RgtMed Rgt
REME BnREME Bn
Armd CavArmd Cav
Mech InfMech InfMech InfMech InfMech Inf
ArmdArmd

A preliminary in-fill of the structure with Canadian units

1 Cdn Div
MI Bn
Sigs Gp
Sigs RgtSigs RgtSigs Rgt
101 Op Sust Bde
REME Rgt
Log RgtLog Rgt
CS Eng Gp
2 CER4 ESR5 CER
AD Gp
SRAD
MRAD
1 DRSB
1 Svc Bn
1 PPCLILdSH(RC)2 PPCLI
2 RCHA4(GS) RCA5 RALC
1 RCHA
2 CMB5 CMB
2 Svc Bn5 Svc Bn
RCD12 RBC
1 RCR2 RCR1 R22R2 R22R

We are long on Infantry (3 RCR, PPCLI and R22R)
We are even on Arty (Need to radically re-equip though)
We are short on Cavalry (Need to re-role 1 and 2 PPCLI at least)
We are very short on Support (Sigs, REME, Med and LOG ) - They deploy battalions where we deploy companies
And Air Defence is Absent

There is a lot of other capabilities that can be added to that basic structure but we could approximate the basic structure with what we have.
Need to make up some of the deficiencies from all of the light battalions.

Our Mech Bns could become CA Bns by adding a 14 Tank Squadron to each battalion along with a LRATGM Troop for Armoured Defence.

We might just could maybe put together something broadly similar to the Div if we squinted real hard and held our tongue right.

Should we consider keeping the Regiments but just numbering the Battlegroups as Combined Arms Battlegroups? Battlegroups 1-9 created from sub-units of different Regiments with particular taskings and with the best qualified Lt Col in command?

I think mine was 2 days in Canada, after I had used them in Afghanistan :rolleyes:
It probably made me dumber, as it had a road test complete with cones etc -- as opposed to safe operation off-road etc, the way the old (maybe still run) Dispatch Rider Motorcycle course was done.

This is how I learned to ride a motorcycle... and barely survived ;)

Notice the 'defaulters' doing pushups in the puddle at 1.29

Should we consider keeping the Regiments but just numbering the Battlegroups as Combined Arms Battlegroups? Battlegroups 1-9 created from sub-units of different Regiments with particular taskings and with the best qualified Lt Col in command?
Just to be clear, a BG that include a coy of RCR, Vandoos and PPCLI under a Lcol? Poor niner :oops:! Regiment are family name that come with their own attitude. I would like to see that when they'll says ''As per SOP'' 😁

Firstly, thank-you for the great reference source.
Secondly, curse you for the rollercoaster that was having my eyes light up at the menus and headings and then getting crushed by the fun you Kirkhill alluded to.
Thirdly, I apologize for my tone with regard to CA doctrine. Just scratching the surface, but I've read enough to believe in the (doctrinal) CMBG.
Fourthly, in my defense the CMBG as represent based on the current organization and equipment bares little resemblance to what is called for/allowed.
Fifthly, even just scratching said surface I'm incredibly frustrated at CA leadership for not making the decisions required to follow that.

Just to be clear, a BG that include a coy of RCR, Vandoos and PPCLI under a Lcol? Poor niner :oops:! Regiment are family name that come with their own attitude. I would like to see that when they'll says ''As per SOP'' 😁
Well the CAR was a microcosm of that..

I've led rifle companies formed from troops from up to four different regiments.

It worked fine, as long as we adhered to the 'no cap badges on helmets' philosophy.

As the commander, at the outset, I found it important to not pay too much attention to my own troops at the expense of the others though, but that tendency went away after a couple of days.

I've led rifle companies formed from troops from up to four different regiments.

It worked fine, as long as we adhered to the 'no cap badges on helmets' philosophy.

As the commander, at the outset, I found it important to not pay too much attention to my own troops at the expense of the others though, but that tendency went away after a couple of days.
I know it work, don’t worry. I’ve done platoons and coy of multi cap badge. It was really just a light spirited comment. At the end of the day, we’re all professionals.

Or the 27th Commonwealth Brigade at Kapyong?
I am not tracking that brigade having had a particular military-tribe problem, and its constituent units were generally homogeneous from a regimental perspective.

Back