• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

In defence of Lady Susan Hussey

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shots fired in the Woke Wars ;)

In defence of Lady Susan Hussey​

Lady Susan Hussey resigned from the Royal household yesterday after 60 years of loyal service to King and Country. Lady Susan, who is 83, has survived world crises, royal scandals and machinations and the death of her friend Queen Elizabeth, to whom she was a beloved companion and longest serving lady in waiting. But she could not survive a meeting with the activist Ngozi Fulani and the arbitrary ‘rules’ that apparently now govern 21st Century social discourse.
Ms Fulani, the British born head of a London charity, who was attending a function at Buckingham Palace to draw attention to violence against women, says she felt ‘trauma’ and ‘violated’ after Lady Susan asked her which part of Africa she was from. Ms Fulani posted the exchange on Twitter, and despite claiming she had no desire to ‘name and shame’ tweeted Hussey’s initials for the benefit of the press, just in case we journos were being thick.

The walls of the temple then came down on the elderly miscreant. Prince William, who is Lady Susan’s godson, expressed ‘disappointment’ in his long-standing benefactor and elder, and the Palace denounced the incident as ‘unacceptable’. But what is more ‘unacceptable’? To publicly condemn and dismiss an 83-year-old for showing curiosity about someone’s heritage? Or for dispatching a loyal, grey-haired servant with such cruel haste, without even the benefit of a day’s grace? I incline to the latter. But then I am prejudiced, I have known Susan Hussey since I was 18, and if she is a racist, then I am an ornamental fountain.

Her sin, if there was one, was being old. Most pensioners are unfamiliar with the wonders of woke etiquette and its pitfalls. There are new strict rules governing what used to be called ‘making conversation’. In asking Ms Fulani where she ‘really’ came from, Susan Hussey was merely repeating what people like her and my late father used to say.

When my parents met in the early 1960s, the first thing he asked my mother, who is Hungarian, was ‘where are you really from?’ Really. People of Sue Hussey’s generation did not grow up in today’s multi-cultural Britain. This might make them old fashioned, but Ms Fulani, who is a sophisticated media performer and the head of a charity, might have acted with some grace.

I can say with authority, however, that Susan Hussey has never knowingly offended anyone in her life. She upholds a clean tradition of honesty and equity. She possesses the milk of human kindness by the quart. This morning a mutual friend told me she is ‘shattered and heartbroken and will never recover.’ The wasteland that is now her life will be far more devastating than any injury done to Ms Fulani, who far from being the sensitive plant she portrays herself as, is currently taking herself on a tour of every television studio in London.

And now we come to the crux of this tragedy. Susan Hussey has no prejudices at all. She spent much of her life married to a man called Marmaduke, who had one leg. She has never sought publicity or the acclaim of the yelling multitudes. She abhors discrimination and once ticked me off for an article I wrote about Italians on the grounds it was both ‘racist’ and ‘unkind’.

Yet it has been suggested that she should not have been ‘allowed out’ at all, and certainly forbidden social intercourse. Poor Susan is not alone in her plight. This whole business, in fact, draws attention to the twilight world now facing the upper crust British pensioner.

There is tremendous pressure now to behave in accordance with a particular bourgeois stereotype, enforced by social media and people like Ms Fulani. Society, and now it seems, the Royal Family, will make you conform, come what may. Otherwise, you will be pilloried and put in the dock, no matter if you are in your last years and your life has been spent in unselfish public service. Which leaves me to wonder if Prince William will return all the Christmas and birthday presents he received from Lady Susan? Surely, they must now be ‘unacceptable’ too?

I guess I am a diehard racist for sure because whenever I hear an accent I don't recognize I ask the individual where they hail from. That includes Europeans and folks from down south as well. It is a way of finding out about people. I noticed that the complainer said she was proud of her heritage. If she is so proud why does she take offense when someone asks her about it. And yes, it is part of our age. We were taught that it was only polite to take an interest in a person as an individual which does include heritage.

This stuff happens more than people would like to think. And it's not always great-grandpa Joe who "grew up in a different time."

Being newly posted, I have had multiple people of much higher rank ask me about my last name, its origin, if I was Cosa Nostra or not, with accompanying hand gestures and "bopadee-boopy?" responses.

I know its not malicious, and I honestly think it's more of a poor reflection of that person than anything else; but at the same time, this kind of trash may have flown 20-30 years ago, not now.

Do I think it's wrong to ask about someone's background? Not at all. To make an assumption? Heck yes. In some cases, folks may be "too sensitive," but that belief is usually coming from a position of privilege; perceived or not.

I sure as hell would have had an easier time at roll call if I were named "Smith", "McLaren", or "Tremblay".

"No, where are you really from?" is racist.

Repeating it multiple times in different forms is racist.

But sure, she's just a lady in waiting.

So an activist who the "racist old bag" has never heard of, who was born and raised in the UK changes her name to one of African Origin and presents herself in African garb and style.

And is upset when someone asks where shes from, in casual chat ?

I'm sure if I was there in kilt, and I would never wear a skirt err kilt like the Scots, I'm sure the "racist old bag" would ask me what part of Scotland I am from.

I'm a pale ginger with a big red beard, resting on no neck and wide shoulders and generally built like Gimli, maybe a bit taller.

Why couldn't she have said, "Well ma'am I was born in whereeverchestershire but I'm sporting the traditional garb of xxx where I believe my ancestry hails from."

I read the exchange. I think it started very congenially, but I think there were motives here.

I can't believe I just defended a member (former?) Of the royal family...

I feel dirty... I can feel Michael Collins giving me a dirty look.

Last edited:
Interesting debate. Buckingham Palace put it this way,

"The comments were unacceptable, and it is right that the individual has stepped aside with immediate effect," they said.

The view from that high horse you never seem to dismount from must be amazing.

Perhaps she should have replied "I'm sorry, I don't know where in Africa my family is from; perhaps your family, who kidnaped and enslaved mine, can give me some information?"

EDIT to meet site guidelines.

Last edited:
So an activist who the "racist old bag" has never heard of, who was born and raised in the UK changes her name to one of African Origin and presents herself in African garb and style.

And is upset when someone asks where shes from, in casual chat ?

I'm sure if I was there in kilt, and I would never wear a skirt err kilt like the Scots, I'm sure the "racist old bag" would ask me what part of Scotland I am from.

I'm a pale ginger with a big red beard, resting on no neck and wide shoulders and generally built like Gimli, maybe a bit taller.

Why couldn't she have said, "Well ma'am I was born in whereeverchestershire but I'm sporting the traditional garb of xxx where I believe my ancestry hails from."

I read the exchange. I think it started very congenially, but I think there were motives here.

I can't believe I just defended a member (former?) Of the royal family...

I feel dirty... I can feel Michael Collins giving me a dirty look.

I think there were motives here
Absolutely. There is invariably an agenda. It was "an interrogation" and she was subject to "prolonged racism"; but she didn't want her fired. She could have dealt with Household staff instead of going to social media.

How my parent's generation spoke and thought shouldn't relegate them to ice floes.

Perhaps she should have replied "I'm sorry, I don't know where in Africa my family is from; perhaps your family, who kidnaped and enslaved mine, can give me some information?"

Fuck that racist cunt.
Really? That is the best that you can do?

Let me ask you this- imagine she was your grandmother. Or mother.

We have an (apparently) unwitnessed exchange between two people and you conclude based on…your extensive knowledge of Dame Hussey…that you you can drop the C bomb.

Well done.

Fuck that racist cunt.
Not my point, but you, as always, do you. The rest of us mere humans will just have to bask in your infallible radiance, I suppose.

Back