• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

In-Cockpit Video: Bird Strike

WannaBeFlyer

Inactive
Reaction score
I thought some may be interested in this video. (I realize this incident occurred in 2004. I did a search, I hope it has not been posted before.)

In-Cockpit Video: Bird Strike

By Glenn Pew
Newswriter, Editor

An AVweb reader recently passed along in-cockpit video of a Canada Air Force CT-155 Hawk before, as, and after its in-flight ingestion of a bird. The aircraft's heads up display is visible, the bird is visible, as is the last image caught on camera -- a farmer's field. Synopsis of the May 14, 2004 accident is available, <a href="http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/dfs/docs/Fti/CT155202_e.asp">here.</a> The accident aircraft carried a crew of two. One student and one instructor pilot. One pilot survived the experience with minor injuries, the other was seriously injured. The video is available <a href="http://www.birdstrikecanada.com/Papers2005/Hawkbirdstrike.avi"> Here</a>

Sources:

<a href="http://www.birdstrikecanada.com/Papers.htm"> Bird Strike Canada </a>

<a href="http://www.avweb.com/newswire/11_33a/briefs/190378-1.html"> AVweb </a>

its been online for a while, but thanks for the link for those who haven't seen it yet.

Very lucky for the crew.

Well, the student and IP both kept it together quite well. The bird had barely cleared the intake when they started climbing for altitude.
Well done.

I always love ATC's response to their ejection call:
ATC, "Confirm breking out north?"

Let's see, the plane diving to the ground and 2 seatd flying in the air didn't give it away?  ;D

"I'm going to say 'eject' three times. If you say anything after that, you'll be talking to yourself".

hi, I'm new to this site and computers in general, but if someone can tell me how to insert a pic i can show you a neat pic of
a bird strike.

[ i m g ]<the url for the image here>[ / i m g ]

without spaces.

Can someone explain what exactly happened with the bird??

Is there some kind of air in-takes on the sides of the aircraft that the bird got sucked into?

double0three said:
Can someone explain what exactly happened with the bird??

It probably looked like someone was emptying a feather pillow in front of a fan. ;D Sorry couldn't resist.

Is there some kind of air in-takes on the sides of the aircraft that the bird got sucked into?

I am not sure if you are familiar with the Hawk but it has dual intakes; one on each side. Have a look at the pic. You can see the intake below the cockpit with the red triangle painted on it.

<a href="http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/equip/ct-155/hawk1_e.asp"> More pics of the Hawk </a>

Jaxson said:
Bet that birdy had a bad day.  >:D

Actually, I know both student and instructor survived and that the student apparently had minor injuries but I am more curious as to how the instructor is doing now. Apparently, he had numerous serious injuries...

MikeG said:
I am not sure if you are familiar with the Hawk but it has dual intakes; one on each side. Have a look at the pic. You can see the intake below the cockpit with the red triangle painted on it.
Yeah thats what I assumed they were. You'd think air intakes would be powerful enough to shred up the bird up into dust, and be uneventful for the jet.  I wonder what the chances are of this kind of disaster happening when something gets in the way of the air intake... I'm willing to bet it's a one in a million thing...

It's not the air intakes that shred the bird up, but the engine itself.  One small stone can cause a huge problem on an engine.

Ah, I figured the air intake got clogged up causing the engine to overheat.  Either way... not a good day for the jet, the pilots OR the bird.

It wouldn't clog up the engine, it would cause damage to the engine turbines, which would then disintergrate causing more catastrophic damage and eventually the engine would explode (Timeframe.....milliseconds.).

Moose Jaw birds aren't your garden variety either - we're talking large snow geese and all sorts of migrating fowl.

The larger turbo-prop engines can eat a seagull without coughing - we still land ASAP though.

An E-3 Sentry AWACS bird out of Elmendorf ate an entire flock after rotation - it took enough birds into enough engines to cause a catastrophic failure and unfortunately the entire crew died in the resulting crash.  Bird strikes are a very serious affair - this is why we employ a "bird man" at every base who uses falcons and other means of getting rid of pesky birds.

Recently there was a videoed incident with a civilian airliner sitting at the terminal. A mechanic was finishing up some work on one of the engines and I believe he took a shortcut in front of the spooled up engine. He was sucked in like from a cartoon. Some red crap came out the other end, the engine stalled and the aircraft did not leave that day.  :(

After the tragic accident the investigators pointed out that this sort of accident does happen occasionally.

I've also seen a vid from a carrier where a deck hand gets sucked into an A-6s intake, but miraculously survived and was spit out the other side!

Astrodog - I have read about the incidents onboard USN carriers - the crew don't get spit out the other side, that is impossible (without being cut into millions of little pieces. 
In most USN jets (A6, F-18, etc) the air intake gradually gets smaller as it approaches the top of the turbine - the deck crew have been lucky to get themselves wedged in this tight space and extricated after an engine shut-down.

MikeG said:
Actually, I know both student and instructor survived and that the student apparently had minor injuries but I am more curious as to how the instructor is doing now. Apparently, he had numerous serious injuries...

He is currently one of the instructors at the CF Instrument Check Pilot School.

Back