• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

In-Cockpit Video: Bird Strike

zoom => if possible wings level....
Gotta have to love those red pages  ;D

pipstah said:
zoom => if possible wings level....
Gotta have to love those red pages  ;D

Ah the common misunderstanding of that line in the red page. It's "Zoom if possible, wings level" which of course has a different meaning than "Zoom, if possible wings level".

It's telling you to zoom if you can but with the wings level in any case.

found this video of a bird being sucked into the engine of a commercial plane (can't tell what type), complete with a recording of the radio communication between the pilot and ATC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRyTc8d1y5s

sorry for reviving a dead thread, but I figured it would be better to add it to this one that start a whole new one.

Having worked in the Engine Bay of Cold Lake for a few years and worked in 416 fighter Squardons I have seen my fair share of birdstrikes, the worst jet incident we had was a pilot flew through a flock of birds the aircraft took probably 8-10 strikes, a lot of them were on the leading edge of the wings and one of them made it down the heat exchanger on the left hand side of the aircraft between the intake and the fuselage. I have also seen a complete letdown of an engine when one 18 hit a turkey buzzard at a very high rate of speed!

I have also seen a complete CF-18 aircraft brought back in 2 1/2 t trucks in a million pieces! There really is not much you can do at 700 mph!!!!

I have seen a 13 ft long F404 engine crushed down to around 4 ft after it was removed for a hole in the ground. It was something to behold I tell you.

George Wallace said:
It wouldn't clog up the engine, it would cause damage to the engine turbines, which would then disintergrate causing more catastrophic damage and eventually the engine would explode (Timeframe.....milliseconds.).

Actually if the bird did make it that far it would be a miracle, you are partially right, in the case of a bird it would be burnt up in the Combuster section of the engine, that is the area that the fuel/air mixture are burnt to produce the thrust, not much makes it past there due to the high heat.

I will get pictures of a High Pressure Compressor Rotor that we are presently working on at work that ate itself but kept running.

This is a picture of a rotor I rebuilt earlier last year, it is made up of over a thousand very sharp blades installed into disks/spools that are stacked on top of eachother, anything that does make it into this module is pureed quite nicely thank you very much....
n584061149_82074_7625.jpg

Back