• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

i'm totaly confused....

Delta26

Inactive
Reaction score
Right. Went in today to the Kitchener CFRC, with all my pertinents to get the paperwork side of the thing started. When the Sgt who was handling my casefile saw my GED (both the "sheepskin" and the grade transcript), they said that CF didn't recognize that as being a good representation of math skills for the LCIS trade.
Could someone shed a little more light on this subject?

Prerequisites as described on the Recruiting website are:

Land Communications and Information Systems Technician
http://www.forces.ca/html/landcommunicationsandinformationsystemstechnician_reg_en.aspx

QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS

Personnel considering employment in this military occupation should have a sound academic background in mathematics and physics (High School level). They should have an interest in electronics, communications systems, computers and switching systems. LCIS TECHs, as in all military occupations, must be responsible, reliable and able to work alone or as part of a team, in adverse and stressful conditions. The ability to perform as a member of a tactical team, understand directions and react quickly when faced with unusual situations is essential.

From what you have given us that the Recruiter said, it would appear that a GED doesn't meet the requirement for "a sound academic background in mathematics and physics (High School level)".

Go back and ask what courses you would have to take at a local High School or Community College to meet the requirement.

This is why we encourage those who ask to stay in school. Dropping out limits later choices in life. Maybe you could be a welder.

In the Recruiting forum, there are a bunch of threads dealing with GEDs.  Just type the letters "GED" in the recruiting forum - not on the main page.

I didn't see any that mentioned LCIS specifically, but some current recruiters have posted there about the limitations of the GED in general.

Cheers,
MARS
Milnet.ca Mentor

Michael O'Leary said:
Maybe you could be a welder.

City of Toronto - Toronto Transit Commission ( 2009 ) Welder... "Salary paid": $101,405.59  Taxable Benefits: $750.00
http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publications/salarydisclosure/2010/munic10.pdf

I wouldn't take it too personally. I assume the "welder" comment wasn't directed at you, it was poking fun at another topic that had sprung up earlier today.

I got a laugh out of it, even if it required the context.

Then I retract my earlier statements, and issue a public apology to Mr O'leary. In hindsight, it was just the frustration of being told that the GED i had worked my ass off for 8 years ago wouldn't cut it.  i wasn't aware of the welder comment in that context. i'll go put myself on KP now.

Delta26 said:
Then I retract my earlier statements, and issue a public apology to Mr O'leary. In hindsight, it was just the frustration of being told that the GED i had worked my *** off for 8 years ago wouldn't cut it.  i wasn't aware of the welder comment in that context. i'll go put myself on KP now.

Delta,

Being frustrated is natural, especially after 8 years of work to get it.  But LCIS Tech isn't the only occupation in the army.  Maybe look at some other occupations where your GED would be acceptable.  There are a wide variety of pretty kick a** occupations out there that might interest you just as much.  There is also a lot of info on them on this site to help you make an informed choice.

I thought the morale officer retort was funny...

Cheers,
MARS

Mentor Hat On

Just a thought ... you COULD just go get an advanced (university prep) level math course in Adult Ed (six week duration I think) and then be eligible to apply (I MAY be wrong, but I'm pretty sure off the top of my head that LCIS only requires proof of advanced Math ... so that specifically plus the GED should make you good to go...

:2c:

Otis
Mentor

I have been looking through...  I like the idea of Ammo tech, or maybe weapons tech. When I asked about other options, the recruiter said that comms research and
armored soldier(my other two choices) were closed.  Maybe I should ask them about weapon/ammo tech and maybe field artillery.

And i had gotten my GED 8 years ago, not been working on it for that long. ( if that was the case, you would be allowed to call me a numpty ;) )

@Otis: I will look into that.

Wpns Tech (land) ... closed
Ammo Tech ... closed
Arty Fd ... closed
Arty AD ... closed

What else would you like to know?

You just need College Prep math from grade 9-12. It also helps if you took any computer tech savvy courses like I myself have. I was worried about this when the MCpl mentioned LCIS Tech. But my math and computer tech courses I guess more then cover for Uni prep maths.

Just my .2 cents. I wouldn't swear by it.

Hmmm ... who's 'guess' to believe? The CF Applicant from Oshawa or the PO2 Recruiter from Toronto? Choices choices ...

Sarcasam intentional ...

HavocSteve said:
You just need College Prep math from grade 9-12. It also helps if you took any computer tech savvy courses like I myself have. I was worried about this when the MCpl mentioned LCIS Tech. But my math and computer tech courses I guess more then cover for Uni prep maths.

Just my .2 cents. I wouldn't swear by it.

Would you like to advise him on how to sleep through your CFAT as well? How do you know what "you yourself have done" will be more than enough to cover what a Uni Prep course could, or if it is enough to score high enough? You haven't even written the CFAT yet you qualify for LCIS already? Infact you admitted that effectively shitting the bed gave you more study time, time you welcomed because you wanted to brush up on what skills?

Unfortunately that time slot was wasted on you and possibly left a determined and serious applicant out 1 more day or week or whatever.

HS, i've been in the computer field for over ten years, and a hobbyist forever.  i've got my A+ certification, and i'm looking at going for network and security certs as well.

and they still weren't too sure.

I can give you my :2c:, I have Grade 9 through 12 academic/ university level math, with 70's in all of them and i was told that is just what they are looking for, i believe they were looking for a minimum of grade 11 university prep math, but it may have been grade 10, i do not recall. I scored really well on the math section of the CFAT, don't quote me on this, but i would speculate that if you performed well in grade 10 academic mathematics or have your grade 11 university prep math credit and also do well on the math section of the CFAT, and well.. pass the rest, that they would consider you for the trade. I personally wouldn't get too set on LCIS tech if you don't believe you can do well on the math section of the CFAT.  :salute: :cdn:

well, thanks for the info, CommTech, I've enrolled  in a distance learning course. in the prerequisite tests. You need to score at least 70%. In the physics and maths prerequisites I met or exceeded the required mark. So I'm good there. Once i complete those, and take two other mandatory courses, I will have what the CF is  looking for. If anything comes up in the future(see some of the previous posts in here) then I'll angle for those.

Back