• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

If I join, what are the odds of getting shipped out?

Wannabeasoldier

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been considering joining the CF as an Infantry Soldier. My question is simple and short: If I join and go through the training and sign on for three years will I actually have a chance of being posted somewhere overseas? Or anywhere for that matter? I guess what I'm wondering about is will I actually get to use the training I receive?

Are you thinking about joining the Regular Force, or the Reserves? That may affect your chances.

If you join the Regular Force Infantry, you may find your self deployed, under the current pace of operations there is a very good chance. But that can change, there are no guarantees.

I was told by a recruiter that there is a very good chance of me going overseas in my first 3 years (initial contract). I think its a good deal, you get to experience more things that way, so you'll get a better idea if you want to continue doing this for a few more years.

I have a friend who just finished his BMQ for reg force Infantry, 3PPCLI I believe, and he was told that this time next year he'll be in Afghanistan -- take that with a grain of salt though eh.

Odd, cause this time next year 1RCR will be there...

For the next three ROTO's to Afghanistan is is scheduled to be 1 PPCLI, starting in JAN 06, 1 RCR then 2 RCR.

Well yea I can't remember if he's PPCLI or RCR, let alone which battalion.

TN2IC said:
2 RCR in Feb 2007 right?

Yes, 2RCR is core unit of TF 1-07, with a battery from 2 RCHA.  Not sure what other units will contribute.

As noted earlier, odds are good that an infanteer will serve overseas, be it in Afghanistan or another theatre of operations in the future.

Cheers,
Duey

Back