• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

If I don't get in by next year...what do you think I should do? I'm torn..

So I applied for: 1.Infantry, 2.Armoured, 3. Combat Engineer. If I am not accepted by next year, sho

• Keep waiting

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Go to college and re-apply after

Votes: 25 78.1%

• Total voters

BrendenDias

Inactive
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm almost half way through grade 12 here in BC, doing well and will pass easily, for sure. I get decent grades, probably a B average.
Dunno what I should do in the next year or two.

Re apply, go to college anyways? Education never hurt anyone, and it will look good that you are constantly trying to better yourself.

If you get selected you will get an offer of employment.  At that time you can choose to continue with school, or leave and go to basic.

Education is always a good investment! Going to college will make your file more competitive. and gaining life experience will give you some great perspective. My advice is go to college or university, and keep applying.

B.Dias said:
Ohhkay, but what about that money I invested in school? :p
Thanks, thanks.

I'm assuming by 'money invested in school', you are refering to money you would be paying towards tuition for college/university. It would be exactly what you call it, an investment, and should be considered the best money you could spend at this point in your life.

Cheers

Also who knows, a couple of years in, you might decide to leave the CF and you already have a leg up in post secondary for another career.

... and if you don't get in when you re-apply in the future, you'll be a guy without any college/university education; and that won't make it easier for you to find a job in the future.

All good responses.
I will likely apply for a college next september/october if I am no accepted, by then...

And I want to try to get in and do whatever it takes.. so if I do get accepted that would be awesome.
Who knows, maybe Canada will send troops somewhere else before next spring, and would need more ground troops. Hmm...

B.Dias said:
All good responses.
I will likely apply for a college next september/october if I am no accepted, by then...

And I want to try to get in and do whatever it takes.. so if I do get accepted that would be awesome.
Who knows, maybe Canada will send troops somewhere else before next spring, and would need more ground troops. Hmm...

Applying to school would be your best bet just in case. However, if you do apply to school and are attending when a job offer comes up then make sure you go through the proper channels to close your transcripts so you don't get screwed over in the long run.

In regards to the ground troops by next spring. I am just speculating here but it is HIGHLY unlikely. With the way UN is acting now and the fact that no one wants to spend any money during a recession, a ground invasion just isn't in the cards. We're going to be waiting AT LEAST another 5 years in my opinion.

That is true, but anything could happen, you know?
Maybe Canada will send more troops to Africa. Who knows...
The Congo is having issues, I read in the paper the other day. I believe some sort of a rebellion..

If I don't get in by next year, I will buy LA40 Macmillan, train by myself rigorously and hopefully NOT, enlist myself, if war erupts in the Arctic. I am optimistic war shall not erupt. :salute:

Dont base your life path on some random possibility of the CF deploying....

I applied to the Navy last week and if I don't get in, I'm going to go to college. I was about to pull the trigger on an application to my local college for Heavy Equipment Mechanic, but decided that a career as a Marine Engineer would be better in the long run. If the Navy doesn't want me I'll just revert back to my original plan.

I'm just tired of spending money on education and not having it actually further me in a meaningful way. Went to a trade school for underground mining, loved it, but when I graduated ($6000 poorer, I'll add) I wasn't any more employable than when I started.

If you have the opportunity to get an education, now is the time to go for it.

You are young, and over the next 4-5 years you have so much potential to grow. Once you hit 25-30, you will start to slow down and you will have many, many more responsibilities.

Here is what I suggest, if you are seeking employment in the Canadian Forces:

1. Apply to College, in a field of study which you are interested in and will give you a good basing of 'how the world works'.
2. Join a Canadian Forces Reserves Regiment close to where you will go to school. If you can't in 1st year, try again next year.

You will open your eyes by learning, going to college. And in the reserves you will be gaining technical experience in an occupation, and earning some money to fund your studies.

When you graduate, you are both educated and have the opportunity to enlist as a Regular Force member.

RedLion said:

You are young, and over the next 4-5 years you have so much potential to grow. Once you hit 25-30, you will start to slow down and you will have many, many more responsibilities.

1. Apply to College, in a field of study which you are interested in and will give you a good basing of 'how the world works'.
2. Join a Canadian Forces Reserves Regiment close to where you will go to school. If you can't in 1st year, try again next year.

You will open your eyes by learning, going to college. And in the reserves you will be gaining technical experience in an occupation, and earning some money to fund your studies.

When you graduate, you are both educated and have the opportunity to enlist as a Regular Force member.

That's some good information, and a good plan. Thanks.

RedLion said:

+1  :)
Very wise words.

I applied to college and had my application in for the military, I didn't know what to do. My recruiter and my parents said just go to school and if you get in make your choice because who knows how long you'll wait.  WELL, I got the call 2 months into college.  Needless to say I joined.  I'm glad I went the route I did, you don't know how long you'll wait. But everyone one of us has to make the right choice for ourselves.  Yup, I wasted tuition money but what if I did not get in.  Weigh your options and do what you feel is best for you.  If you would be comfortable with leaving college then think of that. Where I am from the job market sucks and is really hard to get into and in the military I know I'll be doing what I like.

Good luck with your choice.

D

busconductor said:
If I don't get in by next year, I will buy LA40 Macmillan, train by myself rigorously and hopefully NOT, enlist myself, if war erupts in the Arctic. I am optimistic war shall not erupt. :salute:

:eek:

Hopefully your PAL gets sent up for a mental health review.

Back