• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I *will* get flamed, but it's worth it. - PT Test

firemachine69

Inactive
Reaction score
God is that search feature so useless.

Anyways.

I'll spare the reasons to join my local Reserve Infantry unit. I think we all know why.

How strict are they on the PT test? I'm shy by about a sit-up or two in a minute, and I'm not fully sure how fast I can run, although I have hit 4 minutes, 30 seconds a kilometer a ways back when (and, without a doubt, I know I can do it with time). I push buggies currently at WalMart, and before everyone goes off laughing, follow me when SHTF at that job. Things get real tough, real fast. As much as I whine about the (mis)management, SHTF isn't all that bad, makes things pretty interesting.   ;D

Anyways, I work a steady five days a week currently, and I'm full-time college. Wal-Mart *is* pretty much my exercise. I can squeeze in a bit more come December, however, I'm a bit worried I'll flop the run by something like three seconds. Someone mentioned marching a 10K with a 65lbs ruck. No 65 pound ruck, but I've definitely done that distance with over a thousand pounds of buggies in front of me.

Yes, I know, "go train!" Again, this is a "what if?"

You should read the FAQ section on this, there is lots of info on the PT test. You do a step-up test and you don't have to run.

Yes you should start training. If you put in 1 1/2 hours per day (excluding rest days) you will be in prime shape by the time you are ready to leave.

Also, if you are aiming to achieve the bare mininum for your fitness level, you are going to have a hard time in Basic.

Of course, I am aware of that. I was just curious if anyone had been cut off by something like a second (ouch!) I do aim higher then the mins, much, much higher. But I'm a klunky guy, brute force, don't really have extreme speed backing me up.

An hour and a half a day, everyday, as it stands, is impossible, to a point. I *could* do it, wake up at 5am every morning, but my notes would be severely affected by it. The push-ups and sit-ups, I do on a daily basis. Always gets my morning going.

If you don't make the minimum then you fail no matter how close you are.

Then it does not sound like you want this bad enough. If you want something out of life you do what it takes to attain it and don't settle for half measures.

Pieman said:
Also, if you are aiming to achieve the bare mininum for your fitness level, you are going to have a hard time in Basic.

And IF you pass basic, and if you are going to any cbt arms trade, you'll definately have a hard time.

Actually, 13km..... although it turned into 15km on my basic.

start training, as much as possible, concentrating on the elements required during the test - run, situps, pushups etc...  If you manage to pass, then you can start focussing on overal personal fitness (weight lifting, interval running, circuit training)

If you don't have enough time to spare to train for your testing, then what makes you think you have any time to dedicate to the Reserves at all??

"I *will* get flamed, but it's worth it." It seems that he saw this coming.
Why bother posting? Because it's worth it! Go for a run ya big b******!  :D

don't worry about it. The answers have been posted on here repeatedly. There is always a way to train. You don't want it, so don't bother. Find something else to do with your life.

don't be a slacker about it. just do what i do:

Wake up, do 40 pushups. go brush your teeth and that crap, and do another 20. go to school. come home. do 20 when you walk in the door. Put on your blue vest, go to work. Come home. Do another 20. go on computer, talk on msn, do 20 for the hell of it. Go to bathroom before bed to shower. Do 20. Before tucking yourself in for bed, do another 20. End-of-day toal = 160 pushups.

So its really not that hard. Cheers -Cameron

Nice! I need to incorporate a similar program into my daily routine. That one sounds pretty good, but I need to start running. The weather sucks right now, just got the first blast of winter snow. I may be stuck on a treadmill until the end of January. Gotta do what you gotta do.

midgetcop said:
If you don't have enough time to spare to train for your testing, then what makes you think you have any time to dedicate to the Reserves at all??

Excellent point! I think more people should ask themselves that question.

Brendan, i hear you on the running. Its a little harder to fit into your schedule, but again, if you want it, you'll do it. Simple as that.

Running on a treadmill is okay, but i noticed that it "cushions" your knees when you run. I went for a run on the treadmill, then hit the pavement (the weather turned nice) and noticed a huge difference. Try to hit the pavement if you can so that your body gets used to the stresses put on it

In reality, you don't need much more than 30minutes a day when it comes to running, IF you go at a decent pace. Those USMC cadences have you running at 7.7 mph, and keeping that pace had me doing the 2.4km in 11:13 without hardly breaking a sweat. Your goal is to run a mile in under 7 minutes without dying. I have mine down to 6:30, but i'm exhausted by the end of it. To try and do 2.4km at that pace right now would kick my arse royally.

Now this might be out of place, but what is the deal with "regulation" push ups in the fitness test. So far i've heard 3 things, and don't know which is correct: The push ups you do for fitness testing, so far i've gathered that you 1) lay on the ground 2)put your feet together 3)have your thumbs just touching your shoulders 4)push up til your arms are locked 5) come down. Now HOW FAR do you come down? I've heard: until your arms (bicepts) are parallel with the ground, until your chest hits the ground, or somebody puts a fist underneath your chest and you have to come down until your chest touches their first. So what the hell? -Cameron

Hansol said:
Now this might be out of place, but what is the deal with "regulation" push ups in the fitness test. So far i've heard 3 things, and don't know which is correct: The push ups you do for fitness testing, so far i've gathered that you 1) lay on the ground 2)put your feet together 3)have your thumbs just touching your shoulders 4)push up til your arms are locked 5) come down. Now HOW FAR do you come down? I've heard: until your arms (bicepts) are parallel with the ground, until your chest hits the ground, or somebody puts a fist underneath your chest and you have to come down until your chest touches their first. So what the hell? -Cameron

Check out the video on the CF recruiting site http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/engraph/howtojoin/fitness_eval_e.aspx#s2

It's also explained in the fitness evaluation brochure, page 10 http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/media/pdf/physical_fitness_en.pdf

Hansol said:
don't be a slacker about it. just do what i do:

Wake up, do 40 pushups. go brush your teeth and that crap, and do another 20. go to school. come home. do 20 when you walk in the door. Put on your blue vest, go to work. Come home. Do another 20. go on computer, talk on msn, do 20 for the hell of it. Go to bathroom before bed to shower. Do 20. Before tucking yourself in for bed, do another 20. End-of-day toal = 160 pushups.

So its really not that hard. Cheers -Cameron

I have a question about your method. My main problem is doing consecutive push ups. I can only do about 50 or so in the proper format. I could go on for a lot longer if i just did intervals of 20, as I can do that amount no sweat. However, will this type of training help prepare me? Should I only try for more consectutive reps?

In terms of BMQ, at least...

Thanks.

ShawnSmith said:
I have a question about your method. My main problem is doing consecutive push ups. I can only do about 50 or so in the proper format. I could go on for a lot longer if i just did intervals of 20, as I can do that amount no sweat. However, will this type of training help prepare me? Should I only try for more consectutive reps?

In terms of BMQ, at least...

Thanks.

That method could be effective if you couple it with max consecutive pushups now and then. It worked for me - I would do a couple of sets of say, around 20-30 pushups. Every other day or so I would try my max, and I could usually improve on it bit by bit.

midgetcop said:
That method could be effective if you couple it with max consecutive pushups now and then. It worked for me - I would do a couple of sets of say, around 20-30 pushups. Every other day or so I would try my max, and I could usually improve on it bit by bit.

Will do. Thank you for your input.

Shawn, Hansol,
for more advice on fitness in general, if you haven't read it yet, go to the Training forum and read my thread titled "Blisters, Shin Splints, and PT". Any specific questions you have after reading it, pm me.

As for not having time, that is not an acceptable reason, it is an excuse.

Back