• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I *will* get flamed, but it's worth it. - PT Test

paracowboy said:
Shawn, Hansol,
for more advice on fitness in general, if you haven't read it yet, go to the Training forum and read my thread titled "Blisters, Shin Splints, and PT". Any specific questions you have after reading it, pm me.

As for not having time, that is not an acceptable reason, it is an excuse.

I will certainly check it out, thank you Paracowboy!

So run in the snow. I used to live in Edmonton and did all the time. (Though I admit, it's nicer to run here in Vancouver in the winters!) Learn to layer, pick a route where people actually shovel their sidewalks, and go for it. What happens if you end up doing a winter BMQ?

Have fun.

Instead of solidly pumping of 20 push-ups at a time and finding it easy, you need to increase it to at least 25. To replicate what you will experience on course, slow the push-ups down and hold it at different heights from the ground - quarter down, halfway up etc. and do that 'till you reach at least 25. Now it's a little harder and more realistic.

Hi there. I also have a very hecktic schedule. I wake up at 7am get to school by 8am, leave for work at 4pm, dance 6-9:30 pm, get home around 10:30, do homework until about 1 or 1:30 am at the latest. I've been trying to run whenever I get a chance, usually on Fridays and Sundays. I can do the 2.4km in about 15 minutes. Still not good enough but I can get my time down by next week I'm hoping. Since we got our snow early this year, it's been extremely cold my parents won't let me run outside, so I've been running around my school which is 400 meters around, including a few stair cases. I can do all the required sit-up and everything, but I'm still really nervous. I havn't sent in my application yet, I'll get that in by the end of the month. But I'm worried because of the past comments, IF I do get accepted, and I get to RMC and all that other fun stuff, is the minimun no longer acceptable?

I'll still be trying to achieve higher and higher, don't get me wrong. But lately I've been making myself sick due to lack of sleep and over working my body. How do you guys do it?

-Allie

I guess it all depends on your priorities.  When I joined, many years ago, I gave up both the jazz band and concert band at school to train.  I wanted to get into the military and it was my top priority.  So, extra-curricular activities that I could not fit into my training schedule had to go.  I also worked part-time and I kept my part-time job.  I missed grade 13 band, but I was fit enough to join.  I was a member of the after school band program from grades 7-11 and missed it a lot, however, it conflicted with my ultimate goal.  If you cannot fit your extra-curricular activity and work in a typical day that includes physical training, then I guess you need to assess where your priorities lie and make a decision.  Good luck!

I've been dancing for 14 years now and the last 8 have been spent on a dance team. This is my last year and I will definatly not quit. Most of my classes get pretty instense. By intense I mean I'm totally exhausted and covered in sweat by the end of my 3 or so hours. Could I consider my dance as a workout? Or does it not count because I'm not running laps?

Thanks again

As I said, I quit something that I enjoyed immensely to focus on training.  That was my decision and I made the sacrifice.  How you get there is up to you.  Whether you chance it without the appropriate training is your call, as only you will realize the results of your decision.  There are plenty of threads regarding training tips etc. to view.  My wife danced competitively from the age of 4 to 19 but could not run a mile, let alone complete a 2.4 km run in the required military time and she was in great shape.  I could run the 2.4 km distance in well under 9 minutes but would never have lasted one dance session.  All I can say is good luck in figuring it out.  Only you can make the choices necessary to get to where you want to be, whether it is RMC or elsewhere.  Good luck.

AD said:
I've been dancing for 14 years now and the last 8 have been spent on a dance team. This is my last year and I will definatly not quit. Most of my classes get pretty instense. By intense I mean I'm totally exhausted and covered in sweat by the end of my 3 or so hours. Could I consider my dance as a workout? Or does it not count because I'm not running laps?

Thanks again

IMHO dance is a great workout. You might want to wait until you are finished your last year of dance and then put in your application. I'm sure if you can dance 3 hours, you can most certainly run 2.4 km in the required time. It's about achieving a level of fitness, from the sounds of it, you are probably there.

I didn't apply to join until I was 45 years old and I passed the fitness tests, so if I can do it, I'm sure you can too. Just decide when is the right time for you. Finish the things that are important to you and talk to your recruiter. Maybe starting the application process now won't interfere with your other goals? You'll never know until you meet with the recruiter. Good luck!

"IMHO dance is a great workout."

In 1997, after we gradded a Recruit Serial that had lost a few females on the Week 6 PT test (and so could not go to the field, and so failed), my NCOs and I went to a strip joint in St. Jean.

At one point, I tourned to the MBdr beside me and said "Know why these girls are in good shape?  Because if they were'nt, they would not be hired.  Why can't our organization get their heads around that?"

He laughed, and we went back to watching the dancers.

Tom

TCBF said:
"IMHO dance is a great workout."

In 1997, after we gradded a Recruit Serial that had lost a few females on the Week 6 PT test (and so could not go to the field, and so failed), my NCOs and I went to a strip joint in St. Jean.

At one point, I tourned to the MBdr beside me and said "Know why these girls are in good shape?   Because if they were'nt, they would not be hired.   Why can't our organization get their heads around that?"

He laughed, and we went back to watching the dancers.

Tom
;D maybe kincanucks should be notified...the new recruiting pool...dancers...oh I hope that man has an expense account!

Not to diminish anything you are saying NavComm.  However, this person has admitted that she is well over the required time for the run.  I can do the 2.4km in about 15 minutes. Still not good enough but I can get my time down by next week I'm hoping.  So, it does not sound like she is already there I'm sure if you can dance 3 hours, you can most certainly run 2.4 km in the required time. It's about achieving a level of fitness, from the sounds of it, you are probably there..  There is a big difference between 'dance fitness' and 'running fitness'.  I am not disregarding in any way the level of fitness required to competitively dance (as I have said, my wife danced competitively for years ... she still teaches tap and I have seen first hand how brutal hours on end of that can be).  However, regardless of how in shape she is, it could take quite a while to reach the requirements for the run ... or maybe not, depending on the person.  As I said, it is a different exercise altogether.  Just because someone is 45 and can do it, does not mean that someone younger can automatically do it just because they can dance for a few hours at a stretch.

Actually, "dancers" are hired because they're thin, which doesn't equal in shape. Most "dancers" are too strung out on coke to fit that 2.4 run into their busy schedule. Anyways, this has nothing to do with the original topic so I'll just shut up now. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

"Actually, "dancers" are hired because they're thin, which doesn't equal in shape. Most "dancers" are too strung out on coke to fit that 2.4 run into their busy schedule."

Are you serious? Please, for all of our sakes, THINK before you falsely generalize and insult the entire dancing community.

"By "dancers", I mean strippers."  - Beast77

Actually, refering to the ladies in question (the ones I mentioned above), they were well toned.  They were fit - as compared to being skinny.

I know the difference.  ;D

Tom

acclenticularis said:
Not to diminish anything you are saying NavComm.   However, this person has admitted that she is well over the required time for the run.   I can do the 2.4km in about 15 minutes. Still not good enough but I can get my time down by next week I'm hoping.   So, it does not sound like she is already there I'm sure if you can dance 3 hours, you can most certainly run 2.4 km in the required time. It's about achieving a level of fitness, from the sounds of it, you are probably there..   There is a big difference between 'dance fitness' and 'running fitness'.   I am not disregarding in any way the level of fitness required to competitively dance (as I have said, my wife danced competitively for years ... she still teaches tap and I have seen first hand how brutal hours on end of that can be).   However, regardless of how in shape she is, it could take quite a while to reach the requirements for the run ... or maybe not, depending on the person.   As I said, it is a different exercise altogether.   Just because someone is 45 and can do it, does not mean that someone younger can automatically do it just because they can dance for a few hours at a stretch.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I don't think she's 'well over the required time' at all. Depending on the age of the recruit, the min/max times change. If she is under 30 and can do the 2.4 in 15 min, she only needs to cut 74 seconds off of that to make it in the parameters set by the DND for females under 30 (14:26 - 12:36). So she's in the ballpark and IMO it wouldn't take long for her to achieve it.

Also, the test is not really a run. It is a step test. Then at bmq, you do it again, but it's a beep test. At least it was when I was there.

The pt classes at bmq consist of 40 minute periods. So, if you go to pt and you have a 5 min warm up and a 5 min cool down that leaves only 30 minutes to run. If you can run for 30 minutes and walk with a heavy load for 3 or 4 hours, you have nothing to worry about in that regard. Of course, they could decide to give you 2 pt classes back to back, but even then, it only means 1 hour of running at the most.

Then of course you have drill classes....just be in good shape, the 2.4 km IMO is just a measuring stick. Learn to run a lot farther than 2.4 km though.

For sure I'll keep working on my time and of course my distance! The step test should be good for me...I have these big huge dancer legs! Thanks a lot NavComm!

AD what trade are you going for? If you are trying to just barely reach the 'female' minimum you're going to be in a lot of hurt on course. You see the "men's" standard for the run? That's what you should aim to attain at the very least. You run as a group. Check out paracowboy's threads on training and just keep running...

Moose ... exactly.  I gave up on this thread.  In general, if people want to meet just the minimum and expect to get through, well good luck.  Perhaps basic has changed since I went through, but I don't remember having to do a step test on course.  We ran and were timed.  You can get in by passing the step test, but be prepared to run on course.  I agree, see paracowboy's posts.  Done with this thread.

acclenticularis said:
Moose ... exactly.   I gave up on this thread.   In general, if people want to meet just the minimum and expect to get through, well good luck.   Perhaps basic has changed since I went through, but I don't remember having to do a step test on course.   We ran and were timed.   You can get in by passing the step test, but be prepared to run on course.   I agree, see paracowboy's posts.   Done with this thread.

Well you don't read very well if you think I was saying 'just go for the minimum'. What I said was: she will pass the initial test with a bit more effort and that she should keep on running well beyond 2.4 km. I also said that that at bmq it's a beep test  a step test to sign up, and yes, things must have changed, because it's a beep test at bmq, not a timed run. So stay in your lane, get your facts straight. There is no timed run at bmq. I wish there was, I'd probably do much better because I'd rather run around a track than back and forth in a gym.

As far as giving up on this thread, you probably should seeing as the info you posted was of absolutely no useful value to someone that asked a good question: should I wait and train harder or should I sign up now? The original poster is someone who has some obvious good traits: dedicaton (to dance), determination (to improve) and desire (to join the CF). Why would you want to shoot that down?

Back