• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I know I'll miss the Canadian Tire guy.........

Kat Stevens said:
My beef with the guy was simple.  If he could afford every gadget he owned, plus the cottage, boat, sleds, quads, particle beam accelerator, etc, why the hell couldn't he afford a handyman to use em all?

More like why couldn't he afford higher quality tools/gadgets than those from Crappy Tire...?

Hunter said:
I always found his resemblance to Ned Flanders kinda funny. 

I really don't like the new commercials.  The whole men-are-unsophisticated-dolts theme is old, and sexist.  It's not the commercials themselves that bother me, but the double-standard with regards to stereotypes. We would never see a similar commercial aimed at any group other than straight white men.

I just saw the new commercial with this rather pathetic couple peering over an eight foot fence into their neighbour's fully kitted out back yard and then back into their own where there is a measly BBQ and little else. It was kinda sad really.......I bet that neighbor was the retired CT guy and his spouse!! lol

Card_11 said:
Uh, he's not dead. They just dumped him from their campaign because he was annoying.

Roger, just misinterpreted.

Did anyone read that Maclean's article on him a while back?  It was hilarious, as were the letters that poured in - most agreeing that he was annoying and the seeming few who praised him.  I wonder how much this publicity - which, if my memory serves me, was a cover story - led to his 'demise.'

I was never offended by his smugness, and I think I'll miss him too.

I work for Canadian Tire Bank (yes yes, it's now an official bank as of 2003...) and they canned him because like 60% of the population just found him annoying. As did I.... Furthermore they realized that they needed a change really, you need to make things new and fresh to interest people. Whenever that guy came on the screen I think everyone just turned the blinders on and thought "not the Canadian Tire guy AGAIN.... What now? What Simonize piece of crap is he going to show us next!?!?!"....

So yeah, typical marketing. Change it up... I've actually not had the chance to see any of the new commercials yet. I was hoping they'd become a little more modern, but Canadian Tire strives to stay true to it's original core = being acceptable to the average Canadian and family unit.

From what I've heard from you folks, they didn't change the nature of the commercials that much....  :-[

C'mon though, who can't say Crappy Tire has got some of the absolute best prices around? You just can't get a BBQ of that quality anywhere else for $119+tax!

*Waits for the dogpile*
;)

He's totally forgotten and has been replaced with my hatred for that stupid blond fruitcake from Wendy's. If I hear her say 'Sensational!!' once more................ It's just a friggin' salad for criminy sakes. Anyone that gets that excited over rabbit food has been taking to many 'mother's little helpers'.

Back