• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How will dual citizenship affect application processing time - Reserves

Pyrrho

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm an Iraqi/Canadian citizen. I've been in Canada for almost 8 years (since I was 16 years old). Any idea of the amount of time having dual citizenship would add to my application?

I just passed my Fittness Test/CFAT/Personality Test - all good as of March 20th, 2017 (no medical yet), and I've also successfully completed my Officer Board Review. The application is for an officer position within a local infantry unit.

Much appreciated.

My dual citizenship to New Zealand (was born there, but haven't been there in 25 years) didn't affect my application at all. In the recruiter's words "It's New Zealand, not North Korea or Iran, so we may not even bother with that screening".

I'm guessing it's a whole different story if the country is Iraq and it's been south of a decade since you left.

Thank you for sharing. I asked that same question at a local reserve unit event. They said that recruitment would look primarily at the last 5 years for the first level of security clearance. Also, being no older than 16 during my time in Iraq helps me out apparently. Anyways, I really hope it works out!

Thanx again.

Hey Pyrrho,

I was in the exact same situation last year (I have dual citizenship with Russia), and I had completed all the parts of my application successfully. They just told me to wait and said the verification process could take 6-18 months. Successful verification happened sooner than 6 months but I had just missed the time point where I could do BMQ over weekends. I have recently had my enrolment ceremony with my Reserve regiment at the end of March and should be scheduled for BMQ this summer, but I am yet to know the start date.

Keep in mind that I started applying to the forces in December 2015, and am just now getting to this point. It took longer cause of my background but at the end of the day it should work out for you as long as your record is clean. In fact it will be an advantage for you if you have more languages and cultural experience under your belt later on.

Best,
Volk

Wow that is a brutal timeline!

I'm Swedish Canadian. Hoping for a quick turnaround.
I'm just getting my school grades turned into Canadian, should be done probably this week. Then I wanna hand everything in and get it all rolling by Sept 1st.

Fingers crossed it won't be too bad.

Any updates from any of you guys?

My understanding is that the processing time varies widely from person to person. I'm Nigerian Canadian. I was born in Nigeria, lived there till I was 18 and applied to the CAF after 10 years in Canada. I also spent 6 months in France on an academic exchange and visited a bunch of European countries. I'll lay out my timeline a little bit:

I applied in March 2015. My file was flagged for additional background screening because, I assume, Nigeria. And I spent 2 years there after turning 16, also I have immediate family members who currently live there (even though they are Canadian also) including my parents and a sister. I was called in for a security interview in July to review the 10 year background forms I'd filled and my file was sent to Ottawa.

After 6 months, I checked in every month or so to see if there were any updates but...nada.

In October 2016, I was asked to come back to the recruiting centre to refill and re-sign all the forms as they had expired because they were over a year old. I switched up my trades and my security requirement dropped from Top Secret to Secret so my file manger was hopeful that we'd get the clearance back within 3 months but...nada.

I continued calling once a month to check in. I'd made my October 2017 call and got no news but before the month ran out, a Captain from the recruiting centre emailed me to let me know the screening had FINALLY come back with "no security objections to enrollment" and they were going to request to go ahead with further processing. I could've screamed for joy! I was at work so I did what any respectable person would do - shut my office door, closed my blinds and did a happy dance littered with aggressive fist pumps and silent yells of "YYYEEESSSS!!!" for two minutes lol.

So all in all, the additional background check for dual citizens took 27 months for me. Since my file came back to the recruiting centre though, they've been very proactive because I've been waiting so long and my application package is competitive (according to them). They've booked me in for my interview and medical for November 23.

The ordeal has definitely taught me about patience and not to get worked up about things that are out of my hands. It was especially hard coming here and browsing through some really quick application processing time samples, but if you really want to join the CAF, go ahead and apply, then as they say here, hurry up and wait. Things could move really fast or a take a little longer than you'd like but that's alright, just continue to try to live a fulfilling life while you're waiting. Easier said than done I know, but it helps with peace of mind. :)

Tee I said:
My understanding is that the processing time varies widely from person to person. I'm Nigerian Canadian. I was born in Nigeria, lived there till I was 18 and applied to the CAF after 10 years in Canada. I also spent 6 months in France on an academic exchange and visited a bunch of European countries. I'll lay out my timeline a little bit:

I applied in March 2015. My file was flagged for additional background screening because, I assume, Nigeria. And I spent 2 years there after turning 16, also I have immediate family members who currently live there (even though they are Canadian also) including my parents and a sister. I was called in for a security interview in July to review the 10 year background forms I'd filled and my file was sent to Ottawa.

After 6 months, I checked in every month or so to see if there were any updates but...nada.

In October 2016, I was asked to come back to the recruiting centre to refill and re-sign all the forms as they had expired because they were over a year old. I switched up my trades and my security requirement dropped from Top Secret to Secret so my file manger was hopeful that we'd get the clearance back within 3 months but...nada.

I continued calling once a month to check in. I'd made my October 2017 call and got no news but before the month ran out, a Captain from the recruiting centre emailed me to let me know the screening had FINALLY come back with "no security objections to enrollment" and they were going to request to go ahead with further processing. I could've screamed for joy! I was at work so I did what any respectable person would do - shut my office door, closed my blinds and did a happy dance littered with aggressive fist pumps and silent yells of "YYYEEESSSS!!!" for two minutes lol.

So all in all, the additional background check for dual citizens took 27 months for me. Since my file came back to the recruiting centre though, they've been very proactive because I've been waiting so long and my application package is competitive (according to them). They've booked me in for my interview and medical for November 23.

The ordeal has definitely taught me about patience and not to get worked up about things that are out of my hands. It was especially hard coming here and browsing through some really quick application processing time samples, but if you really want to join the CAF, go ahead and apply, then as they say here, hurry up and wait. Things could move really fast or a take a little longer than you'd like but that's alright, just continue to try to live a fulfilling life while you're waiting. Easier said than done I know, but it helps with peace of mind. :)

Would you mind telling from which trade to which trade you switched that lowered your security level? Thanks

jfposada said:
Would you mind telling from which trade to which trade you switched that lowered your security level? Thanks

I think it was when I dropped Pilot (they told me my vision would definitely rule me out) and replaced it with AEC.

Back