• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to search for members in specific occupations?

KanD

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a first time poster. I have been reading around this site since 2010.
I am now in the process of wrapping up my M.Sc. for 2012 and have decided to apply to the CF (potentially coming returning to uni to pursue my PhD).
Based on my background, the CFRC suggested I read up on construction engineering officer (CONSTR ENGR) as I am (apparently) qualified to apply. This was rather shocking news to me as I have a background in environmental science. After reading the forces.ca description, I understand why the consider it a valid academic background (in moderation of course :)

Regardless, I would like to know if there is a way to search for members who are currently serving (or retired) as CONSTR ENGR officers? Whilst I have read extensively through the forums (and searched via site:army.ca construction engineer, and it's variations), I still have a few questions to pose regarding the experience, roles, and responsibilities of the trade:

1. Based on the job description and what was 'offered' to you upon starting your trade, were your expectations met?;
2. What is the overlap with the engineering trades within the CF? Are they all considered combat arms? Is there a clear distinction between the support and combat arm engineering trades?;
3. Do construction engineering officers go through CAP?;
4. If you have been deployed overseas as a CONSTR ENGR officer, how do your roles and responsibilities shift/change? (I understand this is a rather stupid question, I would simply like to know if deployment outside of operating bases is likely and if so, under what capacity?); and
5. (General question) What happens at the end of the 9 year contract? If I would like to stay on with the CF, do I need to sign another contract and stick with the same trade? Can officers decide to change trades after serving under a trade for that long?

I sincerely apologize if these questions have been previously addressed. If they have, kindly point me in that direction (as I have not been able to find their answers). Better yet, please inform me if there is any individual I can PM.

Thank you kindly for your time.
Cheers!

After a bit more extensive reading and searching of broader topics within the forums, I formulated the following 'answers' to my own questions:

2. What is the overlap with the engineering trades within the CF? Are they all considered combat arms? Is there a clear distinction between the support and combat arm engineering trades?
As CONSTR ENGRs are considered a 'purple trade', they are deployed and utilized as required by the entire CF. Primarily being a Air Force trade (formerly known as Airfield Engineers). From what I have gathered based on anecdotes form various posts, ENGRs across various trades have worked together AFTER their primary responsibilities were taken care of. In the case of OP ATHENA, I noticed that CONSTR ENGRs left the bases in order to aid in the construction/rebuilding of primary infrastructure and train/assist the local population. Whilst this is considered a 'support' role, all ENGRs were required to provide combat support if the need arose.

3. Do construction engineering officers go through CAP?
Yes.

4. If you have been deployed overseas as a CONSTR ENGR officer, how do your roles and responsibilities shift/change? (I understand this is a rather stupid question, I would simply like to know if deployment outside of operating bases is likely and if so, under what capacity?)
See answer to Q2.

5. (General question) What happens at the end of the 9 year contract? If I would like to stay on with the CF, do I need to sign another contract and stick with the same trade? Can officers decide to change trades after serving under a trade for that long?
After having spoken to the recruiter, after the nine years, if I decide to stay, a new contract will be offered bringing my total service to 25 years, hence the new contract will be 16 years in length (wow!). I can decide to switch trades after the nine years or leave the CF altogether.

Hopefully this will be of use to others.

I submitted my application to the CF yesterday as a DEO. Choices in order:
1. Engineering officer;
2. Signals officer; and
3. Construction Engineering officer.

Now to put on my game face and complete my thesis!

Back