• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to beat the Taliban in Afghanistan / Pakistan (and win the war on terror)

Peter no one here at army.ca harbors any illusions about Pakistan and its involvement in Afghanistan. But Pakistan hasnt been alone. The Iranians were most helpful providing experts to assist the Taliban use IED's against the US and its coalition partners. After all they learned their trade in Iraq. Yet Iran did not pay a price for this. If they had things might have been different.

Peter Dow said:
Oops! Forgot to click "Notify" myself of replies here. Sorry for the delay in replying to your replies folks. Coming right up.
Thanks. I intend to reply to other people's small-chunk reply questions/points but I am presenting a 4-point plan and strategy for victory over the Taliban, Al Qaeda, jihadi terrorism generally and each of the 4 points of the plan matters.

It's like when any leg of a chair is missing the chair is not stable, so each of the 4-points in my plan has strategic significance.

I wouldn't want people to read a topic I had posted with only one point of my plan in it and think I am the strategist's equivalent of a one-club golfer, or that I am claiming that there's one silver bullet solution to this.

A four legged chair without a leg can be converted to a three legged stool.

A three legged stool is never unstable so long as all legs are present, no matter the length.

Basic carpentry.

Maybe it's time you got on yer bike buckwheat.

Peter Dow said:
England is like Scotland where I stay and perhaps even like Canada where the most significant person is the head of state, the Queen and the other significant people have significance because of their loyal relationship to the crown and to the kingdom.

I am a republican so I don't present my ideas in such a way as to appeal to royalists. Therefore if a royalist hates my republicanism, hates my plan and hates me, wants me banned, I am content that I have made my republicanism clear enough to get right up their royalist noses.

We can lose this war by following royalists of significance or we can win this war with republican intelligence.

I have posted my ideas in internet forums where I am not banned. You can search the internet yourself to find out how other people have replied.

Did I say anything about the Queen? No.

So, in essence in this rambling....no, you haven't discussed it with anyone of any official capacity in the MoD.

Follow on questions for you:

- Have you even been to Afghanistan or served in the Forces?
- What are you basing all this analysis on?

Is it just me, or has there been a marked decline in the quality of meglamaniac rants by self-proclaimed geniuses? I mean before, one could always count on a Kim Jung-il or a Muammar Qadaffi for nutbar entertainment....but this strategically out-to-lunch Scot is now the best we can do?

Sad, really.  :not-again:

Nerf herder, I have $10 that says the closest he's been to any military service is his Frontiersman uniform with the Scots' flags on the collar.

I'm just trying to see how many pages he makes it before he runs out of material; as Thuc said, it's like driving past a car crash....

Journeyman said:
Is it just me, or has there been a marked decline in the quality of meglamaniac rants by self-proclaimed geniuses? I mean before, one could always count on a Kim Jung-il or a Muammar Qadaffi for nutbar entertainment....but this strategically out-to-lunch Scot is now the best we can do?

Nerf herder, I have $10 that says the closest he's been to any military service is his Frontiersman uniform with the Scots' flags on the collar.

:rofl:

Journeyman said:

Who writes your material?

Nerf herder said:
Follow on questions for you:

- Have you even been to Afghanistan or served in the Forces?
- What are you basing all this analysis on?

Here, here!!! I want to know too. Please enlighten us.

Journeyman said:
Is it just me, or has there been a marked decline in the quality of meglamaniac rants by self-proclaimed geniuses? I mean before, one could always count on a Kim Jung-il or a Muammar Qadaffi for nutbar entertainment....

Nobody comes close to Idi Amin in that department.

Journeyman said:
but this strategically out-to-lunch Scot is now the best we can do?

Co-incidentally, their last King was...

Please, there is no way this man is a true Scot.

I believe there are laws that require such people to be stripped naked, painted red and heaved over Hadrian's wall.

Och aye, but I prefer to see them tossed beneath Hadrian's wall.  :piper:

Who is Scot?  I thought this thread was about Peter?

Thank you all once again for your replies and most especially thank you to tomahawk6 for this comment.

tomahawk6 said:
Mr Dow doesnt deserve to be banned.While many here dont agree with his thesis, it has sparked debate which is a good thing,I think.

The following about green-on-blue attacks is politically topical right now and so I am giving it priority attention -

Afghan forces. Green-on-blue attacks. The solution

The Afghan National Army, the "green" force is rotten, if not to its core then to much of the periphery. Some of the green is more like gangrene (gan-green, get it!  ;)  )

The problem I see is in the disconnect between the political control (Karzai) and the funding (mostly from the USA but anyway internationally funded).

Wikipedia: Afghan National Army
The new Afghan National Army was founded with the issue of a decree by President Hamid Karzai on December 1, 2002

Karzai as the "duly" (ahem) elected president of Afghanistan is perfectly entitled to run an Afghan national army but Afghans should pay for that themselves.

Afghanistan is a poor nation and could not afford that much of an army but if they paid for it themselves, at least the Afghan national army would likely be honest, accountable to Afghans and take on limited tasks - secure the presidential palace, military headquarters and might be up to defending the capital Kabul and surrounding land, maybe.

Now the issue is this - to secure all of Afghanistan, even to secure our supply routes, we need lots of troops and it makes sense to have some kind of Afghan force to help us - but we need a bigger and better green force than the Afghans can afford to pay for. (Also why would a national Afghan force want to prioritise defending our supply routes? They wouldn't want to.)

So the West, NATO needs to pay for some green Afghan forces - that's a good idea, if, if, if, if and only if, those green forces we are paying for are auxiliary to NATO-ISAF - run by NATO-ISAF - under the control of a NATO general, maybe an American general if you could find a good one to do it.

That way we would only recruit capable Afghans into the green force we pay for and interact with daily. We'd be sure our green troops were loyal - wouldn't shoot our blue troops.

No way would we have any incentive to spend our own money on disloyal incapable Afghans in green uniform so we would not do it, if we had political and military control over our green forces, which we would have if they were called "The NATO-ISAF Afghan auxiliary force" - with no pretence of them being an Afghan national force under Karzai.

However, some idiot has come up with the idea of paying Afghans to have an army funded by us but controlled by Karzai so there is no accountability. The people in charge, deciding who to recruit, can recruit bad soldiers because they get paid more by the US for soldiers, whether they be bad soldiers or not.

Why wouldn't Karzai and this guy

250px-Sher_Mohammad_Karimi_in_2010.jpg

Lt. Gen. Sher Mohammad Karim, Commander of the Afghan National Army

recruit junkies, thieves, murderers and agents for the Taliban into the Afghan National Army?

Why wouldn't they recruit anybody they can find into the Afghan national army if, for every soldier they can name, they get paid more US dollars?

Where's the incentive for Karzai and Karim to recruit only good soldiers? There isn't any incentive at all.

Again the US ends up funding corruption.

If a green soldier kills a blue then who gets held responsible in the chain of command?

Nobody gets held responsible.

Who should get held responsible? The US and NATO should. We should blame ourselves for paying anything for an army which we do not have any political control over.

What on earth does Panetta (and what did Gates before him) think he is (was) doing trusting this guy Karzai and his general Karim with billions of US tax-payer dollars to pay for a green army?

Why are NATO defence ministers happy with the poor leadership from NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen and the NATO Supreme Allied Commander Admiral James Stavridis? Shouldn't the NATO leaders have spotted this fatal flaw in green troop organisation and tried to re-organise green forces as I suggest here, if they know what they are doing (which they don't)?

The competent answer to green on blue attacks is to split up the Afghan army into two distinct forces -
  • [size=14pt]a national Afghan army which Afghans pay for and is commanded by the Afghan president and whichever general he/she wants to appoint. ("dark green")
  • a NATO-ISAF auxiliary force of Afghans, funded by the US and other NATO counties and international donors. This would be commanded by our generals. ("light green")

So there should be two green armies - each of a different shade of green so to speak. Karzai's dark green he would use to defend himself and his capital. Our light green we would use to defend our supply routes and to support our operations in Afghanistan generally.

Only when the Afghan economy had grown to the point that they could afford to pay for a big enough army to defend the whole country would we transfer our light green army over to Afghan national control and then we could leave Afghanistan in the hands of Afghans.

So long as we are paying for an Afghan force we must retain political control over it otherwise it fuels corruption and does little or nothing to help to fight the enemy we are trying to defeat and the green-on-blue attacks simply undermine political support for the whole Afghanistan / Pakistan mission.

I didn't realize that you were a James Thurber fan.  Me too.  :nod:

I'm sure you'll agree that a key to performing arts is knowing when to leave the stage. As such, when you're done this current Walter Mitty interpretive dance, have a look at Thurber's "The Scotty Who Knew Too Much."  :piper:

Oh, and I'm glad to see your military insights extend to knowing that the whole "unity of command" thing is for amateurs. One of the things Afghanistan could surely benefit from is a few more divergent chains of command.

OK, I get it, we nuke Pakistan if "they force us to".... anybody else while we're at it ?

BTW - Its nice to be back, looks like I missed a lot here  ???

Mr Dow - you are ducking my question and it still stands.

Thucydides said:
A stable Afghanistan is something that should be desired, considering that it is the traditional land route between China, India, Russia and Iran/the Middle East. As a stable polity it can act as a circuit breaker or damper between unstable regions, while as an unstable region it allows the spread of crime, radicalism and instabiklity in general between these various regions.

Very well put. (* I especially like the desired aspect of your statement) :camo:

Peter Dow said:
I would liken our political will in Afghanistan to the fighting will of a bull in a bull-fighting contest.

I wouldn't
Bull-fighting is not a contest. It is considered a performance,
and so being, the political "will" must be more so likened onto the matador. No ?

Peter Dow said:
...The bull initially lacks no fighting will to charge at the matedor's cape but the cape is not the bull's real enemy but the bull lacks the strategic vision to understand the true nature of the fight.

You should start by rethinking that comparison.

* added ;D

ObedientiaZelum said:
All I got was;
Just bomb the bad guys
Pay afghans more money

That's better than me - all I heard were monosyllabic couplets...

MM

Back