• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to beat the Taliban in Afghanistan / Pakistan (and win the war on terror)

You know, one could always use an old slipper to beat the Taliban with in either Afghanistan or Pakistan if the occasion arose.  No need for a huge complicated post and stuff.  :nod:

Journeyman said:
Nerf herder, I have $10 that says the closest he's been to any military service is his Frontiersman uniform with the Scots' flags on the collar.

peterdowsblog.JPG

Close enough looking for me, $10.00 on the bar next time you're in town ok?  8)

I think we best look  to another nation in that part of the world tht we have just cut diplomatic ties with. We may have a bit more trouble than we had with the last one.

The campaign to rename the M113 to "the Gavin" seems so quaint now.

Michael O'Leary said:
The campaign to rename the M113 to "the Gavin" seems so quaint now.

Great....now Sparky will be along shortly.        ::)

Nerf herder said:
Great....now Sparky will be along shortly.        ::)

Now with those two teaming up, the Taliban won't have a chance!

Too late.

You already did.

But why? It's Radio Chatter.

Nerf herder said:
Did I say anything about the Queen? No.

So, in essence in this rambling....no, you haven't discussed it with anyone of any official capacity in the MoD.
No.

Nerf herder said:
Follow on questions for you:

- Have you even been to Afghanistan
Never.

Nerf herder said:
or served in the Forces?
Never.

Nerf herder said:
- What are you basing all this analysis on?
I am a scientist. I also have some experience of military strategy games, such as "Company of Heroes". I used to play chess but computer games are more fun and realistic.

So I have a thoughtful, analytical and strategic mind and I'd like to help.

If our military was serious about winning our wars, scientists, mathematicians, gamers, like me would be recruited to run our wars.

Instead, time-served soldiers with plenty of experience with firing guns but not much clue about strategy get the generals' jobs and we struggle, too many soldiers get killed, wars drag on.

We ought to employ people with the right skills to do the military leadership job.

What.The.Hell.

You realize that for years while they are gaining experience shooting guns they are studying history and strategy to a much greater degree then a armchair general "scientist".

Im not familiar with one great strategic victory from history won by a "scientist".

Peter Dow said:
I am a scientist.

No, you most definitely are not, Billy Bullshtiter. How about you enlighten us about your thesis being rejected by the University of Aberdeen because it was only 20 pages long (and was most likely written in crayon).

Peter Dow said:
If our military was serious about winning our wars, scientists, mathematicians, gamers, like me would be recruited to run our wars.

And if you were serious about curing your problem, you'd recruit a Combat Engineer skilled in the creative use of plastic explosives as a replacement for your shrink.

Peter Dow said:
I am a scientist.

Sorry, but I cannot find a single definition of "scientist" that fits what you have provided here, or on your website. I cannot help but suspect therefore that your scientific training is equivalent to your military experience.....watching Dougie Howser in Starship Troopers. 

:not-again:

Container said:
I'm not familiar with one great strategic victory from history won by a "scientist".
Dr Richard J. Gatling and Dr Robert Oppenheimer both gave it a good shot in their day.  ;)

Peter Dow said:
No.
Never.
Never.
I am a scientist. I also have some experience of military strategy games, such as "Company of Heroes". I used to play chess but computer games are more fun and realistic.

Instead, time-served soldiers with plenty of experience with firing guns but not much clue about strategy get the generals' jobs and we struggle, too many soldiers get killed, wars drag on.

We ought to employ people with the right skills to do the military leadership job.

Thanks for finally starting to answer some of the questions put to you, there's more by other members BTW.

Straight off the street? Here's your pips there general scientist who plays games and has no tactical experience to speak of besides playing a game.

Are you on fucking crack?

Peter Dow said:
No.
Never.
Never.

Ugh. Someone please show this Walt to the door? I don't see any need for this lackwit to be a part of this forum...

OK, OK I'll admit it.  I do at times make inane comments just for the shits and giggles of it all, but honestly those who know me personally know I'm just being a stupid bugger for the fun of it all.  But, this guy is serious.  Thanks, Mr. Dow for the entertainment you've provided me however unintentional.  I will play Devil's Advocate for just a little bit.  Yes, Mr. Dow there have been many a scientist who has contributed to their respective Military and were integral to it's ultimate success in battle.  Sadly, I don't and all here don't believe you rank amongst this peerage.

Container said:
Im not familiar with one great strategic victory from history won by a "scientist".

What about Ypres in April 1915? Chlorine gas made by a "scientist". Not a victory thou. But a nerd did make impact.  ;D

jollyjacktar said:
OK, OK I'll admit it.  I do at times make inane comments just for the shits and giggles of it all, but honestly those who know me personally knowI'm just being a stupid bugger for the fun of it all. 

He is more missing a few fries of a Happy Meal. Myself, I was drop on my head after birth.

Back