• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How do you know... this is what you want?

DanielSchnarr

Inactive
Reaction score
I've done some reading up, most likely not enough. (I thank everyone who welcomed me in my previous message!)

How do you know the army is right for you? I've got the passion, the drive to make a difference, but how do you know this is what you want? How do you think the infantry especially compares to conditions portrayed by the media and the movies? Is it similar? Different?

Should a new recruit need to worry about fitting in, making friends or initiations?

Thanks for your time.

Daniel.

Use the only time tested method, show up at the gates and give it a go.

How did you find out if you liked Broccoli or not?  You can do all the research in the world to make an educated hypothesis on whether you will like the job or not.  Until you're in you can not know.  As an early life experience, however, I'm not sure how you could go more right.

As for the question, do more reading, but in short:

Fitting In: Be competant, receptive to criticism and honest.  You'll fit in with those that pass.  Be unprepared, arrogant, fake and lazy.  You'll fit in with those that (should) fail.

Friends:  You can disagree with every point of view a guy has.  But when he bails you out when you need it and you do the same for him, it doesn't matter.  As for the guys you do agree with on everything, friend for life most likely.

Initiations: Not sure what you're thinking here and it's outside my sphere of knowledge for the troops.  But there is not any institution like initiation, right of passage or hazing like silliness.  New guys might be encouraged to partake in some ridiculous event, but the culture I have observed makes these things voluntary and not over the line.

Great reply. Thank you!  ;D

I guess I was over-thinking things. I shall read more. I started getting the pushups going again, properly, as indicated by the government army page.

I was expecting my girlfriend to say NO to the army ... I can't let you do that. Instead she's telling me to go through with it and I really appreciate that she is not selfish!  :salute:

Is it wise to try and join the reserve first or try and join the regular force first?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Daniel.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The experience, even if only for 1 enlistment, will change your outlook on life in general that nothing else will, plus it will reflect on the rest of your worklife in ways that you cannot imagine. If you decide to stay in is really the big decision, because by then, you are deciding from a knowledgeable standpoint.

A lot of people agree with your statement, myself included. Thanks for the kind words.

Any ideas when I should edit: apply?

First, you do not enlist, you apply...

Second, 0900 Tues 18 Apr would be good.

Go reg's.
I joined at 17 with no previous background in the army.Loved it.Signed an I.E. 13 more to go.

join tuesday morning.

I'm still in school though.. that's my problem. I just need to finish highschool and I'll be ready to go!

You can start your paper work prior to grad.I did and within 3 months after grad I was doing basic. cocurrent activity...it helps.You may have to get mommy to sign you up as I did.

Once your 18 your considered an adult which means you can sign your self

Since your still in school, I'd say go reserves, see if you like it and get more experience. I was originally joining the MP reserves, and wish I had stayed that route so I could still get post secondary in, volunteer work, etc.

Futuretrooper said:
Since your still in school, I'd say go reserves, see if you like it and get more experience. I was originally joining the MP reserves, and wish I had stayed that route so I could still get post secondary in, volunteer work, etc.
stay in school. Finish your education. That is paramount. If you feel you must serve now, go Reserves and stay in school. Then you have the best of both worlds.

I would say too: stay in school get a degree and get in the reserve. Its the best thing to do to get a good feeling and a great experience of the army. At the end you will end up with a nice part time job (reserve), a degree and the ability to choose what you really want to do.

As for the questions about friends. Its like everywhere, you will meet alot of people in the army. Best thing is after a couple of time in the army you will have friends in every bases of Canada and overseas! You are making strong bounds with your friends that I dont think you see alot in the civilian world...

This goes out to everybody;

Wait till you are the age of majority in most provinces; which is 19. Get some maturity, go to college, work, hang around friends your own age for a few years, get drunk, have fun. When you get into the army it ain't what you see in Hollywood, a bunch of gung ho 18 year olds waiting to march off and die in some desert. This ain't the place for the young, some of the people I am on course with could pass for my grandfather! As an 18 year old all your peers will be on average at least 5 years older than you, most older than that even. They will all head to the bar at 10 or 11 pm whilst you sit in your barracks cursing yourself.

Don't get me wrong, the army is a great place, it's a great life. But everything you want in the army you can get in civvie land. You want adventure, go skydiving. You want adrenaline, do it with no parachute. You want fun, get drunk. You want to serve, then volunteer.

Believe me, I have done enough retarded shit that landed me up on extra duties an ting because of my age and immaturity to last me a career.

Biggest mistake of my life was being an incoherent tit and deciding school was not for me. Now I wake up at 0500 every morning, do PT then wear my pajamas around the camp all day! If I went to college I could still wear my pajamas to work and never have to do PT!

It's my one regret..

I thought when I walked into the recruiting center I was volunteering for a mission with the Mormon church to Africa and I would carry a cross all day long! I swear I did!!!

Hoover said:
Don't get me wrong, the army is a great place, it's a great life. But everything you want in the army you can get in civvie land. You want adventure, go skydiving. You want adrenaline, do it with no parachute. You want fun, get drunk. You want to serve, then volunteer.

Where in Civi life can you shoot a C-7a2 or fire mortars and a Carl G?

[/quote]
Biggest mistake of my life was being an incoherent tit and deciding school was not for me. Now I wake up at 0500 every morning, do PT then wear my pajamas around the camp all day! If I went to college I could still wear my pajamas to work and never have to do PT!
[/quote]

I join the res when i was 17 and spent about 4 years in it and now I'm reg force at 21 and i see lots of young guys who love it also! It's all depends on the person, Just like any job some people like it and some people hate it. Sure you could go and "get drunk with friends" like hoover was saying or like me you could go get drunk with friends who are guys from your regiment, As for doing PT, sure  some days it's hard getting up early and going for a run or a ruck march, but hey your getting paid to work out and get in shape! Make your choice of what you what to do don;t let others tell you what you should do. Everybody has different experiences. A

Hoover said:
This goes out to everybody;

Wait till you are the age of majority in most provinces; which is 19. Get some maturity, go to college, work, hang around friends your own age for a few years, get drunk, have fun. When you get into the army it ain't what you see in Hollywood, a bunch of gung ho 18 year olds waiting to march off and die in some desert. This ain't the place for the young, some of the people I am on course with could pass for my grandfather! As an 18 year old all your peers will be on average at least 5 years older than you, most older than that even. They will all head to the bar at 10 or 11 pm whilst you sit in your barracks cursing yourself.

Believe me, I have done enough retarded crap that landed me up on extra duties an ting because of my age and immaturity to last me a career.

It's my one regret..

I thought when I walked into the recruiting center I was volunteering for a mission with the Mormon church to Africa and I would carry a cross all day long! I swear I did!!!

I joined at 17 and will disagree with every single thing you have said.  13 years later, i wouldnt have done it any different.. While kids my age were in college getting stoned, I travelled the world and experience things a civie never wiil.  i have made freinds i will have until i die.  I have memories that people i went to highschool with can only wish they had. I'm not trying to discourage people from staying in school past HS but for christ sake man, you are a no-hook private and in no position to tell anyone what your "regrets" are.  maybe one day they will hand you your CD and then you can tell me all about your regrets.  Missing my Kids first word, birthdays...that is the stuff you regret.Getting is shit because you were a little stupid, thats not something you regret...thats something you laugh about 10 years down the road. Like i said, i joined at 17....at the young age of 37 i will be able to retire with a pension and still young enough to get a decent civie job if i so choose.  At 30 years old, i am making  a slight bit above 60k a year...i have joined with only HS and i have no skills usable on civie street.  I am employed by an organization that hired me even though i had not training and experience, provided all the required tools of the trade, provided all the training and paied me while i was doing it.  Not bad for someone who quit CEGEP after 1 week.

Daniel,

I'ma say it again. Finish High School. If you must, join a Reserve unit while in High School, but finish High School. If you decide the service is not for you, you will still have the option to go on to college/university, or find a job. But finish High School, above all else.

Did I mention that I think you should finish High School?

Back