• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How did you Honour Rememberance Day?

Devo3733 said:
At my construction site I asked for some time at the big morning toolbox meeting to read flanders' fields and give a little history lesson about second Ypres and the events that led to the writing of said poem.  The first encounter with chlorine gas, breaking of the lines, Canada holding, the Battle of St. Julien, and the recognition and praise it brought Canada as an independant and strong country at the cost of over 2000 lives.  I asked people to give some thought to the utter hell those young men faced, the trenches, the artillery, the mud and the cold, all for less pay than any single person in the room pays in taxes.
At 11 I broadcasted Last Post over the site wide radio and we shut down all operations to observe 2 minutes of silence.

Overall it was really good, a lot of the guys in the morning were pretty moved and were glad to learn some of the history of Candians at war and what led to the poem so many know, but don't know much about.

Well done.  :salute:

I gave my 87 yr old father a big high five salute at the local cenotaph service. Since he was in his legion beret with his chest full of medals, he promptly snapped to attention and saluted back. It made his day and mine. We had over 500 people attending the service and its not a big town. It was heartwarming to see such a large turn out.

TM

I had intended to subway to the ceremony at Old City Hall, but instead walked to the local one at the Swansea Town Hall.

Interactive map of Toronto's First World War dead:
http://www.globaltoronto.com/interactives/ww1_map.html#text

I had no parade postion in Halifax this year so I attended the one in Lunenburg NS (my retirement town) There was and Old Legionarie there that was wearing a West Novie cap badge on the side of his legion beret, with a chest full of campain stars and medals who greeted me with "good morning Sgt Major, are you here to march?" I said "yes I am sir" he said "Good. I got a place right up here for you with the other Vets" I was quite humbled to be put in the same catigory as these gentalmen. It was a exelent day weather wise and was an amazing turnout. Some one even aranged a fly over with a Herc at 11:06.

Parrie Thunder I was there when Nathan was killed I hold a specail place of remembrance for him along with Troopers Mike Hayakaze, Pat Pentland, and Marc Diab.

I attended the annual ceremony, put on by the fine folks at the Taiwan POW Camps Memorial Society,  and held at the site of a former POW camp near Taipei.
As usual, it was a moving ceremony.
:remembrance:

Website of the Society:
http://www.powtaiwan.org/index.php

Back