• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How are civilians legally requried to address members of the CF

wakingheart

Inactive
Reaction score
This question is purely from a legal standpoint with out taking into account social context, how are civilians legally required to address members of the Canadian Forces?

''Excuse me sir''

''Hey you''

''Oi d**khead''

....or variations thereof.

Why would members of the CF be addressed any differently than joe civvy?

From a purely legal standpoint any bloody old way they feel like.
At times common sense may dictate a civil greeting. ;)

wakingheart said:
This question is purely from a legal standpoint with out taking into account social context, how are civilians legally required to address members of the Canadian Forces?

This may be the closest thing to any government regulation concerning civilians addressing Canadian Forces members.

Honestly I am surprised and conflicted. We have legal titles for members of parliament I expected the same for Professional Military Officers given our commonwealth past.

wakingheart said:
We have legal titles for members of parliament

Yes, but nobody is legally required to use them, nor any other form of address.

There are legal titles for members of the military.  They are called "ranks".  However, just as is the case with titles for Members of Parliament, the judiciary, the Governor General, or members of the Royal Family, no civilian is legally obligated to use those titles when addressing the holder of that office.

Hmm...Interesting I had always though the though that the titles where mandatory for formal correspondence.

wakingheart said:
Honestly I am surprised and conflicted. We have legal titles for members of parliament I expected the same for Professional Military Officers given our commonwealth past.

i.e. The Honorable Captain John Bloggins, 2nd Battalion Princes Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry

or

The Most Honorable Captain James Bloggins, Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Horatio ?

From working at NDHQ, this has become a personal peeve of mine.  Too often I see official documents, briefs, e-mails etc. drafted and circulated by civilians that refer to CF members by thier given and surnames, with no reference to the rank (I have been so noted in offical project documentation).  Converesly, those same documents will refer to senior civilians as "Mr./Mrs./Madame" etc.

A civilian male grows into the title of "Mister", a lady becomes a "Miss" or "Ms" and adopts, through marriage, the title "Mrs." or "Madame".

But CF members earn their rank through sweat, hard work and, sometimes, blood.  Concordantly, I now refuse to action documentation that does not properly address CF members by thier earned rank.  I send it back to the originators with a request for correction.

Haggis said:
But CF members earn their rank through sweat, hard work and, sometimes, blood.  Concordantly, I now refuse to action documentation that does not properly address CF members by thier earned rank.  I send it back to the originators with a request for correction.

GUTS!  ;D

This seems to be an argument for having a legal basis for a law requiring civilians to address CF members formally.

The interaction of civilian and military society are interesting and definitely a relevant subject. Political maneuvering seemingly meddles with military affairs at times in spite of its decrement of legitimate military organization. However I have no real experience in these matters but would be interested in the advise of those who do. This is more academic guess but do you know of any article, study or book that you would recommend on this tension?

Has anyone read Just and Unjust Wars?

wakingheart said:
This seems to be an argument for having a legal basis for a law requiring civilians to address CF members formally.

The interaction of civilian and military society are interesting and definitely a relevant subject. Political maneuvering seemingly meddles with military affairs at times in spite of its decrement of legitimate military organization. However I have no real experience in these matters but would be interested in the advise of those who do. This is more academic I guess but do any of you know of any article, study or book that you would recommend on this subject?

wakingheart said:

Why? I would not wish to live in such a society.

I am not Royalty, nor societally any way better than anybody else.

Why? I would not wish to live in such a society.

I am not Royalty, nor societally any way better than anybody else.

I said it was an argument...not a good one.

Something tells me that if I tried to have my girlfriend address me as "Corporal", she might respond with other - much less pleasant - forms of address instead. It's always amazed me how many curse words a french girl can string together in a single breath...

I hear ya... getting my husband to call me ma'am would take more than an act of Parliament.

Actually I always answer to my husband "yes, Sir" and "yes, your majesty" and it drives him nuts....he HATES it.  So, that is why I have continued to do it through out our almost 14 yr marriage!!!!!! >:D  Ya I'm bad

Back