• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Horatio Hornblower

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Got this for Christmas and I must say I am really enjoying this box set. Has anyone else seen it or owns it? If not and you enjoy Napoleonic Naval Warfare watch it.

EX...presumably you're referring to the UK series starring Ioan Gruffudd...I saw the series on TV a few years ago and really enjoyed it...it caused me to get the books and read them all...then I bought the DVDs, watched them all again. They did an excellent job and its follows the stories much better than the Gregory Peck movie....which is also most enjoyable.
Cheers
Gene

We borrowed them all from the library last winter, and thoroughly enjoyed them. We've read the books, and the movies brought the books to life.

Hawk
:cdn:

Seen it and also watched the movie starring Gregory Peck.

Both pretty good.

Regards

Ex-Dragoon said:
Got this for Christmas and I must say I am really enjoying this box set. Has anyone else seen it or owns it? If not and you enjoy Napoleonic Naval Warfare watch it.

You're JUST watching those now?!?!  What kind of sailor are you??  ;D

Saw them all awhile ago.  We used to watch all kinds of different series in the mess at sea and went through those once.  To be honest, I (along with some others) weren't too thrilled when that was the new set that was picked to watch.  I'm not typically big on History stuff, especially movies.  But once it got started, we had trouble stopping at a decent hour each night and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Read all the books when I joined the Navy in 77. Terrific books. Saw the series when it was on TV and loved it. I might look into the boxed set.....where is it available and do you know how much or was it a gift?

I am eagerly awaiting to get this one from my local library.

Under Enemy Colors (Hardcover)
by S Russell
http://tinyurl.com/2uohf5

It is getting great reviews.  :)

Ex-Dragoon said:
Mine came from Amazon.

IHS (since ex-D obviously expects you to do your own work!  ;)  I'll help you out though, need something to do while I'm at work. ) check it out on Amazon.  You get the Collector Edition for an awesome price!

airmich said:
IHS (since ex-D obviously expects you to do your own work!  ;)  I'll help you out though, need something to do while I'm at work. ) check it out on Amazon.  You get the Collector Edition for an awesome price!

You've always been good to me that way....birthdays for my sweetie etc. I'm flying her to Ottawa this year to see me....what a treat eh??

//off topic

If she's staying for abit, you'll have to let me know when and I'll try to make a trip over for a M&G.  I was going to reply to your NYE post and ask if she had anything special (read: Robin Egg Blue Box special!!) to accesorize with!

//on topic

This series would be a great way to spend some of your time.  You should be well educated by the end of the 2 years.

airmich said:

I am nice that way :D

I watched the whole series when it was A&E.  It was great.  I think I heard somewhere that they are making three more movies for A&E.

Olive (the other reindeer) said:
I watched the whole series when it was A&E.  It was great.  I think I heard somewhere that they are making three more movies for A&E.

I hope so, but that goes contrary to what I have seen on other sites. Despite their success, they are expensive to make and A&E has not intention on making anymore.

Damn... that is disappointing.  I really enjoyed the series.

Back