• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Homecoming Not That Easy for Afghan Vets

Booked_Spice

Inactive
Reaction score
I came across this while reading the news.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2006/08/07/edm-afghan-homecoming.html

Homecoming not that easy for Afghan vets
Last Updated: Monday, August 7, 2006 | 10:14 AM MT
CBC News
Some Canadian soldiers are readjusting to life in a peaceful country after serving a stint in Afghanistan — and finding it's not that easy to do.

About 100 soldiers who served in the wartorn country came home to Edmonton over the weekend.
It was an emotional reunion for many families who hadn't seen their loved ones for upwards of six months. They arrived as five Canadian soldiers were killed in Afghanistan, with more than a dozen injured in the last week.
"Hard for the most part," said Joe Rustenburg of the homecoming.

"Because a lot [of] the guys who died were good friends of mine and there's nothing you can do to prepare for losing friends, especially five or six, it's hard to deal with.
"Like I just tell myself, there's not much I could have done to prevent it. It bothers me that I'm home with my wife and there's some wives that don't have their husbands."
Rustenburg says he understands casualties are part of the job and he's happy to be home.

Rustenburg was sipping a Tim Hortons coffee in a mall in Edmonton Saturday. It was one of few reminders of home he had while serving in Afghanistan.
But he says sipping coffee at mall in Edmonton isn't easy to get used to doing.
" try to take it all in, in little pieces at a time, 'cause it is a lot to get used to again. Walking around without a weapon is one major thing," he said.

For his wife Melanie, who he married a month before he left for Afghanistan, it's an adjustment too, but one she's looking forward to.
"If he wants to talk, he'll talk and I'll let him," she said. "I just can't wait to be a wife again, cooking and picking up after him. I miss that a lot."
Rustenburg says it hasn't been an easy six months without her husband.

But she says everything is better now — Joe's home, and she's convinced him to take their long-awaited honeymoon in Maui.

One of the keys is to keep the boy's and girls together and not send them to schools to teach or on courses for a while.  Let them get back to Canada and simmer with their mates for awhile.  A long while.

Quagmire I believe that this is the reasoning behind the change of plans with my son's company. When the guys first went over we were told when they get back they have to work 3 half days then release. Now they are working half days until the end of the month. My son calls it time to learn how to be me once more.

Its because they have to wait for a certain someone's CoC parade and well most of the Snr NCO's and Off are posted some effective 31 Oct 06.

SBD
I am glad they are keeping them there for the two weeks. All these guys have been through crap and I believe they need to get as much of it off their chests as they can before they are released. It will save a lot of hurt, time, and energy for all parties involved in the long run.And yes there are a lot of parades near the end of the month as well.

It bothers me that a reporter would be suprised enough to write an article on this. Every soldier coming home has issues to one degree or another but thats how we readjust. You wake up in Canada looking for your rifle, you dont step off the paved bike trail cause your thinking of mines.

I find the best readjustment remedy is to go out and shoot the sh** with the guys you just spent 6 months with, but do it at hooters instead of at work.

Its also a good way to notice those that may be taking reintegration a little harder and hopefully help with PTSD sooner rather than later.

oh i totally agree, but the last thing i wanna do when i get home is sit on my a## for 2 weeks at work and not being with my family and i have talked with many of the guys there and there not happy.

Here is another news story from CTV....

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060731/afghanistan_warwounds_060807/20060807?hub=Canada

nicely done on the reporter's part. Lots of subtle little digs at the military in it. Not your usual blunt object, but rather a sneaky shiv to the kidney.

paracowboy said:
nicely done on the reporter's part. Lots of subtle little digs at the military in it. Not your usual blunt object, but rather a sneaky shiv to the kidney.

mhmm... :-\

Noone wants to be spinning on their thumbs for 2 weeks. I was in Edm for a DAY and I wanted to get out of there. Send the boys home to their families! THAT will help them more.

There is something to be said for keeping the boys and girls together for a bit to depressurize after coming home.  I joined the army as much to understand my father and grandfather as to serve my country, because about some things they could only talk to those who had "been there and done that".  Some things you cannot deal with until you are far enough away from the situation that you can deal with it without getting your a$$ shot off for not paying attention.  Likewise, you can only really talk about it with people who have lived with the fear, the tension, the pressure, and kept on giving 100% because you just can't let your living friends down by grieving for the one you just lost.  My wife was a great source of strength, but you can really only talk about some things with people who have the same ghosts to deal with.  Of course doing it at Hooters or shooting pool at the JR mess is just good planning.

I would be curious to know how many guys are being kept back from going on their leave until the end of the month?  Is it optional or forced?

Also, is it just 1 VP guys or the whole Battle Group including the MO?

I think it is good that they also will get to spend approximately 4 days with their buddies in Cyprus with some mental health guys to adjust a bit before going home to work for the three half-days.

Ogema

There was a time when soldiers returned home after a long journey by sea, and now you fly in in a matter of hours in the same clothes you left in. This less travel time makes it difficult in many ways for 'reverse' culture shock and adjustment.

Trauma after battle has been around since warfare began. At least nowadays, we have identified the results/problems after a deployment, and there are avenues for us to take, and many of these are mandatory on coming home.

It takes time for anyone to re-adjust to normailty after 6 months of at least a routine life of communal living, no privacy, at times an 'institutional' way of living, and worse if one has been invloved in the trauma of battle, in both witnessing horrific things that soldiers see and do. The days of that summer of '44 are as fresh in my Uncle Jack's (8th Recce Regt) mind as if they happened a week ago. He still remembers names, and the most bizarre things well over 60 years on.

Even after 4 or 5 weeks in the field, I find myself restless, at times impatient, and value quiet times alone, which leaves the woman I live with feeling isolated at times. Before this deployment she said "I hope this time 'over there' does not make you any wierder than you are already". She's serious too.

At least now, we have a window, we know that roughtly, it will be around 6 months until we return, when back in WW2, they had really no idea when. I am told 6-9 months, and let me tell you, I'd sure like to be in dear ole Saskatchewan right now, having a BBQ in Wascana Park (beer in hand) in Regina, or go to a Riders game.

Regards,

Wes

I know Hubby is coming home and then has to work up until 30th of Aug.
I also know that alot of the guys don't like this idea, I can understand their point of view.

I have a different point of view , I would like to share . I am actually glad that he will be working for these days. I understand that Homecoming is hard on the Troops but it is also very hard on the families at home. For the past 7 or so months these spouses have had to be independent they have had to take on both rolls in the family. They have also had the fears ect associated with a tour. I imagine after being accustomed to be a single parent, it would be difficult to have their soldier back home. It will be a relief of course but the families also need to adjust as well.

With that said I am glad that they will be working for these extra days because I believe that it gives the spouses time to adjust too.

On the other side of the coin, what happens to augmentees. It's good and well when a company/battalion deploys and returns together, but many reservists, and reg force augmentees are brought in from other areas to go on tour, then get back to Canada and are separated from most, and sometimes all, the people they were on tour with. It's hard for them, since after decompression and the flight home, they may not have anyone who shared the experience to talk to and try and cope with readjustment with.

Just something to think about.

Back