• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Homecoming Not That Easy for Afghan Vets

That is a great point.

I can't comment on it because I am not familar with the procedures for this type of thing ie Reservists ect.

If this is a problem then what would an effective solution to this be?

Would it be that they stay with the Battalion on base for a week after tour?

Please keep in mind that I have no idea how these things work.....

Booked_Spice said:
With that said I am glad that they will be working for these extra days because I believe that it gives the spouses time to adjust too.

That is actually part of the intent - as I understand it.

~RoKo~ said:
On the other side of the coin, what happens to augmentees. It's good and well when a company/battalion deploys and returns together, but many reservists, and reg force augmentees are brought in from other areas to go on tour, then get back to Canada and are separated from most, and sometimes all, the people they were on tour with. It's hard for them, since after decompression and the flight home, they may not have anyone who shared the experience to talk to and try and cope with readjustment with.

Just something to think about.

Which is exactly what happened when I came home. It is rough, because there really is no one to talk to. The best thing, frustration aside, would be that they stay with the unit for that short period of time and decompress.

As a been there, done that ,sort of thing, Jan 19 1952 to be exact ,my take on this subject. I ws wounded in Korea ,3 day later few back to Kure BCOF Hospital in Japan. After anout three weeks in a 54 bed ward, you get alot of time to unwind. Being on my feet I had to do for myself(make my bed,go get towel and PJs fetch trays ) and help the guys in bed(a little awkward one handed). An Ausie Nurse (Major) told me not to dwell on the shit things,and I'm sure you will know what I mean,but to keep busy and find some thing to laugh at every morning, even if it was myself.The best time in my life was spent at a convalesant Depot on Mya Jima Island about 5 mile across from Hiroshima  Harbour. We had a Canadian Doctor on staff Capt. McDonald who could spot Battle Fatige ans his main them was dont ever feel sorry for yourself.DO NOT take yourself to dam seriously. Best advise I'v ever had. 54 years later I am still doing it , some times it realy pisses my wife , but we are both Happy
Old Rceme

Welcome Home people job well done, thank god they have the help in place fore these people they are going to need it. It took a wile fore the personal that server in Boz a while to get the help they needed. Take it from some one that know first hand what PTSD can do to you, do not be scared to share your emotions with your friends and family it will help you to talk. Good luck and God Speed
Ubique

I think this is always going to be one of the issues which solution is never going to satisfy all those involved. On one hand a lot of the guys coming back have had enough "army" time and just wanna be done with it for a bit. And on the other there are those that need that structure still and can slowly ease back into society. I know it might be awkward for some families if Dad pops a squat in the living room with a Peak stove frying up some SPAM on a pot lid, just because he is missing the routine from theater (even if he wont admit it). This is one case where the guy might have benefited from some more de-compression time once he got back. But then again rookie ram jet that just beat the odds and made it back to the real world, even after the super bender he tied on in Cyprus, just wants to get away from the base cause his family lives out on the Rock and he is dying to see them. Can you really justify prolonging him seeing his family, when all the married guys got their wives handy every night. It just a big Catch 22, where someone will always bitch. But that's just my 2 cents.

this article is crap.  and the soldier they interview in this article is a two faced coward, trust me, i know.  he was in my platoon.  he left  a month before the rest of the platoon, refused to go on operations, and threatened all kinds of crap to the chain of command.  walking around without a gun, whatever.  great, don't gottta lug that thing around.  there will always be weak people, he is one of them, so he can get bent, as can anyone who buys into that poor unreadjusted and having issues soldier garbage.

LAV is God said:
this article is crap.  and the soldier they interview in this article is a two faced coward, trust me, i know.  he was in my platoon.  he left  a month before the rest of the platoon, refused to go on operations, and threatened all kinds of crap to the chain of command.  walking around without a gun, whatever.  great, don't gottta lug that thing around.  there will always be weak people, he is one of them, so he can get bent, as can anyone who buys into that poor unreadjusted and having issues soldier garbage.

Cut the tough guy Crap pal.

The only coward I see is someone hiding behind a fantasy name, making personal attacks.

You got the balls, state your name and tell it like it is.  He is having challenges and it is dumbass  comments like yours that have hurt many soldiers.

dileas

tess

LAV is God said:

I don't know what your game is to revive an old topic and then slam it, but I guess you also have problems reading.  The article is quoting him sitting in the West Edmonton Mall and his feelings of not carrying a weapon in the Timmies in that Mall, not Afghanistan.  Are you trying to tell us that since coming back you are carrying a weapon, to feel secure while in public?  Perhaps you have the problems.

[Edit to add:  This was a Post and Run by LAV is God and we are awaiting his response before taking down his and these Posts.]

Bravo.
Insulting another member online under a guise.
Bet you don't have the effrontery to actually post your name here.

Wouldnt that only be fair to do?Leave a name so the man can defend himself?

Class act bud.

RCAC,

Don't bother wasting your time, alread challenged earlier by me with no response

LAV is God said:

the 48th regulator said:
Cut the tough guy Crap pal.

The only coward I see is someone hiding behind a fantasy name, making personal attacks.

You got the balls, state your name and tell it like it is.  He is having challenges and it is dumbass  comments like yours that have hurt many soldiers.

dileas

tess

Still await for the superstar to respond.

dileas

tess

Back