• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Huron To Be Sunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ljealexander said:

That brought up a ton of pics for me, but typing in keyword "Huron" I got these.

Here is one of the pics from the above link:
HMCSHuronSINKEX.jpg

The former HMCS Huron was used as a target by Canadian and American warships during Exercise TRIDENT FURY 2007 due to the increase in operational tempo of the Navy and it was determined that Huron's hulk would provide realistic and invaluable operational training for our sailors.

HMCS Ottawa is participating in Exercise TRIDENT FURY 07, which is an annual, joint, coalition exercise hosted by Joint Task Force Pacific (JTFP) and executed jointly by Canadian Fleet Pacific and 1 Canadian Air Division. The exercise will involve over 2,000 personnel from naval, air and land forces from Canada and the United States and will provide the participants with many training opportunities.

NCS_Eng said:
Any luck getting a hold of these videos / pictures? Everything I've read/seen in the media and people I've talked to onboard the REGINA state that the Huron was sunk by a second volley of shots from Algonquin's 76mm and that bombs were NOT dropped on the Huron.

You're correct, her sister ship sank the Huron.  I have a bunch of pictures on a CD which I still haven't looked at yet.  To sum it all up, after a numerous amount of volleys from the Canadian and American ships that took part in the exercise, that included the 76mm, 57mm, and 50 cal and CIWS; Algonquin was allowed a 2nd volley.  Immediatly after the Huron started listing to it's side and then sank pretty quickly.  Took about 10 minutes for the ship to sink and the Still was piped on all circuits on the ship when it was definite that she was going down.  If the ship didn't sink on our 2nd volley then there would have been air strikes and if the ship withstood the aircraft, USS Topeka was schedualed to fire a torpedo at her.

I base my assertion that it was a bomb that finally put her down on the statements made to me by CFMWC staff.... if they were incorrect then I stand corrected.

Besides, in the DIMS from that evening credit was, in fact, given to NAN, SAS and ALE for starting her going down. I'm happy to take those comments (from the commander directly) to the bank too.

Cronicbny said:
Besides, in the DIMS from that evening credit was, in fact, given to NAN, SAS and ALE for starting her going down.

ALE ?  I'm guessing that's a typoed ALG...

I hear that they removed all the hatches before sinking her.  For the sake of realism, I think it would have been better to leave them in or at least have some sort of a substitution.  In a real-world situation, the ship would have been in DC condition Zulu.  All the hatches would have been closed for obvious reasons.

It could have kept the ship afloat longer to facilitate more live fire training.  Also, with these classes of ships still in service, it would give us a better idea of what these ships could withstand while closed up in Zulu.

TN2IC,

Thats the USCGC Alert firing 25mm and 50cal at her indeed.... we (NAN) were in front of her in the gunnery line and SAS in front of us.

I was looking at the combat camera footage and noticed that Algonquin had fired a volley and missed with plumes visible forward of Huron.  Was Algonquin not in line of sight?  Should it not be expected that a modern naval gun be able to hit what it is pointed at on the first shot when in range?  We're talking the broad side of a barn here in calm sea. 

Plumes of water spurt into the air as 76mm rounds from HMCS Algonquins Oto Melara gun fall short of their target

We did a sink ex in the gulf and put up vertical sections on the targets so the gun could see the targets we wanted it to hit.  I always figured it was a small target (Old fishing boat) so that's why it took so many rounds.  Now seeing pics of the Huron and the 76mm missing on its first few shots I'm beginning to wonder.

Is this normal?  Should a modern (Cold War) gun system miss a big target like that in calm seas? 

:warstory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IimkffYBAc

Good video of her actually sinking.

Ah good. I am catching on this Navy stuff now. Arg...

But yeah... it is a sad day to see her go now. Great video post. I wonder when the other 280s will be put to rest? I know we have two...I think on this side.

TN2IC said:
Ah good. I am catching on this Navy stuff now. Arg...

But yeah... it is a sad day to see her go now. Great video post. I wonder when the other 280s will be put to rest? I know we have two...I think on this side.

We are  now down to 3, 2 east and 1 west. Supposedly the 280s are to remain in service until 2015.

Nice video....I'm taking the course (maintainer) on the system that was shot with right now.

Damn.

NS

What did you guys thing of the sinking.. when i was watching i was trying hard not to giggle, but there were a few cute lines, that had me giggling.. and i wish i could remember the one.. dose any remember, this one guys first Name, his last name is Taylor, i can't remember his first name.. he was on her sister Algonquin.. the deck gun Algonguin had was part of Huron main armament, meaning she was sank by one of her own guns,, can you guys a chep shot, big time..
NIKKI

Microsoft Virtual Earth  has an interesting view of what I presume to be the HMCS Huron in Esquimalt prior to its sinking.

http://dev.live.com/virtualearth/sdk/

Unfortunately I don't know how to post a screen print.  It was on the west side of the Harbour just NW of the Fisguard light house. Use the Birdseye view.

Enjoy.

LA

You can post the Location........Latitude and Longtitude from Google Earth and others can then locate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back