• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Charlottetown

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Thoughts and Prayers are with the brave men and women of Charlottetown who were engaged and returned fire versus Libyan forces today.

Story:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/05/12/canadian-sailors-libya.html

Got this just after lunch:

Below is the NATO press release on the incident. 

NATO UNCLASSIFIED - RELEASABLE FOR INTERNET TRANSMISSION

Naples, Italy.  In the early hours of Thursday 12 May 2011, while conducting Embargo patrols in the waters off the coast of Libya, NATO warships participated in a coordinated defence against a small boat attack threatening to port city of Misrata.

Beginning at approximately 2 a.m. the Canadian Frigate HMCS Charlottetown acting in concert with the British Destroyer HMS LIVERPOOL and supported by other allied units, thwarted an attack on the port of Misrata by a number of fast small boats.  The boats were forced to abandon their attack and regime forces ashore covered their retreat with artillery and anti-aircraft canon fire directed towards the allied warships.

HMCS Charlottetown directed a short burst of 50-caliber machinegun fire back down the  bearing of the incoming fire and HMS LIVERPOOL fired one round from its 4.5-inch Mark 8 gun as both ships moved to a safe standoff distance.  Neither warship sustained any damage nor injury during this engagement.

Commander Craig Skjerpen, the Commanding Officer of  HMCS Charlottetown spoke proudly of the action taken this morning, stating “I command a highly ready and technologically advanced ship crewed by very professional sailors who are well-trained in a variety of tasks from primary war fighting duties to force protection operations giving the ship an inherent versatility to rapidly respond to any operational demand.’

Operation Unified Protector is the NATO-led mission to protect civilians in Libya and enforce the United Nations Embargo. NATO’s sustained maritime presence in the littoral waters of Libya began on 23 March 2011, aiming to diminish the capacity of the pro-Qadhafi forces to carry out brutal and systematic violence against the people of Libya.  The actions of coalition warships on the morning of 12 May are an example of NATO’s continuing success in stopping regime forces from attacking civilians.

Kinda chuckled as one of the reports stated that it was a 57 mm machine gun!! - I see the makings of a new 'Arnold' movie! An email to a buddy on CHA was replied to simply with "Can't say"-Not sure what I should have expected!
More to follow I am sure.

Surprised no one else has any news on this.....
....Anyone?
Ironically, my sister in Minnesota (just outside of Minneapolis-St Paul) provided me with my last update.

I would be interested to know if they were closed up at action stations or a force protection state...

I suspect (atleast) FP Yellow, but Red would not be unreasonable considering what they were there for. Either way, 50 cal crews are closed up at both.

How times are changing from 10-15 years ago. First the army gets into real shooting matches in A-stan and now the Navy duking it out with Libyans. To the sailors, good luck!

Pat in Halifax said:
Surprised no one else has any news on this.....
....Anyone?
Ironically, my sister in Minnesota (just outside of Minneapolis-St Paul) provided me with my last update.
A bit more starting here in the "Turmoil in Libya" thread:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/99510/post-1044397.html#msg1044397

ref: CBC.ca

So the ship was fired upon by land based rockets again. Here's to everyone staying safe and performing well.

Libyan rockets fired at HMCS Charlottetown
CBC News
Posted: Jun 2, 2011 4:39 PM AT
Last Updated: Jun 2, 2011 7:06 PM AT

A dozen rockets were fired at HMCS Charlottetown off the coast of Libya on Monday.

Lt. Michael McWhinnie, who is on the vessel, told CBC News on Thursday that 12 BM-21 rockets were fired in the direction of the Halifax-based ship.

None of the rockets hit the ship and there were no injuries.

"‪It is important to understand that NATO maritime forces are aware of the military weapon systems possessed by the Gadhafi regime and operate with consideration of their capabilities," McWhinnie said.

"We continue to achieve our mission of protecting civilians by reducing the Gadhafi regime's military capacity to attack its own people. The ineffective attempt on May 30 to strike a NATO ship simply highlights the pro-Gadhafi regime's desperation to have some effect on the systematic reduction of its forces.‬"

Capt. Jennifer Stadnyk, public affairs for Canadian Expeditionary Force Command, said the rockets were fired from shore.

She said HMCS Charlottetown was not hit because the crew considers the enemy's weapons capabilities and sails outside the maximum range. Citing security concerns, Stadnyk did not specify exactly how far the vessel was from shore.

Deployed in March

The ship deployed to the waters off Libya in March with 235 crew members on board. The ship's overall mission in Operation Mobile is to help the NATO-led effort to enforce a no-fly zone over the country.

Last month, sailors aboard the warship helped thwart an attack by Libyan forces in the port of Misrata.

HMCS Charlottetown, along with the British destroyer HMS Liverpool and a French warship, chased several small boats that had been approaching Misrata harbour. The Charlottetown came under artillery and machine gunfire in the process.

The warship was not damaged in that incident and there were no injuries.

Good times are being had by all out here....good times...

NavyShooter said:
Good times are being had by all out here....good times...

Supplies of red, white, green and blue holding up?  ;D

I try to make up for it when ashore.....alas, not this trip...2 per man per day per CEFCOM rules, even in foreign port.

Foreign ports are where I get smashed if at all.  At sea is no place to be in an altered state.  The CEFCOM r.o.e. for foreign ports, sux...  hope that does not catch on everywhere.

It does suck, but it does a bit of good in a way. Let's be honest with each other here. People are going to drink more than two a day in Port.  That is a given.   

However, if it were a free for all, people would get loaded.  There would be fights and people would end up in foreign jails.  With the rules in place, people will be more careful about it.  People may order an extra beer or two, or maybe even have a few in their hotel room, but they're much less likely to find themselves in trouble.

I think having the two-a-day rule in the Seychelles is a little silly, but I would not want to be caught drunk wandering the streets of Salalah, Oman.

To be honest, it probably does happen.  The possibilities for bad things to happen to sailors in foreign ports does seem to increase with the consumption of recreational beverages. 

A reduced/controlled intake is not a bad thing, but it leaves some pent up issues that will, undoubtedly, spring out during the decompression port visit....which I'm convinced will be a mess.  I'm going to contibute to that mess too...

About 8 years ago, I was on one of those "decompression port visits" after being at sea for 55 days straight  - My stomach still gets queasy just from my (very) hazy memories of what went on.  :-X

I usually try to take it easy on those "decompression" Port Visits.  I find out where most of the crew is going to be staying/drinking, and I go the other way.  Some accuse me of being anti-social when I go into Foreign Ports, because I like to do my own thing.  That's what helps me decompress, though.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/africa-mideast/canadas-role-in-libya-its-biggest-military-gambit-in-decades/article2068533/

Good times being had by all out here!!!!!!

NS

Back